PDA

View Full Version : Dr Morbius' Entry

Dr Morbius
03-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Here is my entry into the Challenge:

http://x10.putfile.com/3/6523451211.jpg (http://www.putfile.com)

Name: Wilfred
Type: Animatronic
Cost: $19.99

How-to with price and parts list: http://www.robbybuilder.com/contestpage.html

Video of prop in action: http://www.robbybuilder.com/Horrortheatre.html

Merlin (The Quiet One)
03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Nice prop! The video looks great. Merlin (TQO)

Zombie-F
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh man, that thing is awesome. I guess I gotta step it up for my comedy club idea and have the comedian have some eye and head movement. Totally awesome Dr. M!

Hella
03-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Very Nice Dr Morbius. I really like it.

Hella
thinking about when she is going to try doing this one....

Dr Morbius
03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh man, that thing is awesome. I guess I gotta step it up for my comedy club idea and have the comedian have some eye and head movement. Totally awesome Dr. M!

Thank you sooo much for those kind words, Zombie! And also thanks for helping me with my HTML...I never would have known my pics were pointing in the wrong place, as my browser finds them on my drives...and displays them fine for me! LOL!

Anyways, I was thinking about your comedy club too, and I think you have a great opportunity to put some eyes in those Buckys of yours. Really brings them to life, IMO.

Thanks Hella and Merlin for the praise also!

DeathTouch
03-12-2006, 08:59 PM
19.99. Give me a break. LOL. And his name is Wilfred. I suppose he plays cards too?

Ok, all joking aside. Awesome prop Dr. I really love this prop. Being a tech I always love when someone adds a bit of life to a prop. So to speak. And it has the most evil look that is to die for. Ok, that was joke. I had to throw that in. Plus, you could of added more circuits if you had used a cheaper shirt. Using a Donny Osmond throw-back just cost too much for a 20 dollar prop. Ok, I couldn't help myself. That was another joke. So, to speak.

Dr Morbius
03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey, the $19.99 cost came as a surprise to me too! It was probably less, as I overestimated the proration of the burlap and chickenwire. I just wanted to make sure no fudging took place. I know you were joking, but I was really sweating the costs, and scrounging as best I could...Accumulating the material didn't take half as long as trying to figure out what to substitute stuff for materials I usually use. :googly:

Anyways, Donny say's he borrowed it from Elton John, who says he would gladly donate the coat to such a great cause!:p

Thanks for the compliments my friend.

Deathtouch Bride
03-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Now I feel bad for saying that now, that you were sweating it out. I take everything bad except the good parts.

DeathTouch
03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Opps, I had log in with the middle computer and it logged me in as my wife. Sorry Dr.

Dr Morbius
03-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Does your wife know you wear her computers?:p

heresjohnny
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Dr Morbius, your official now! I was wondering if Zombie-f was gonna audit that $19.99 cost!

Serious, your prop turned out great, even if you had spent more money; to build it for under $20 is amazing. You have certainly inspired me to build something like that following your ideas!

DeathTouch
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Nope, she don't

SpectreTTM
03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey Doc

All I can say is WOW.

That is a fantastic prop at any price.
Thanks for sharing the how to. It was very informative.
About how long did it take to construct ?

Dr Morbius
03-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey Doc

All I can say is WOW.

That is a fantastic prop at any price.
Thanks for sharing the how to. It was very informative.
About how long did it take to construct ?

Tom

Thanks Tom!..Yea, it took about 5 weeks, working on it on weekends, but only because I had to redo the neck section, and at the beginning, just trying to figure out how to mount ANYTHING to styrofoam, like the eyes and the servos..Making homemade washers...Oh man, what a pain! Crap like that. You get the idea.

mrklaw
03-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Amazingly great job!
the pictures on contestpage6 are still broken

DeathTouch
03-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Amazingly great job!
the pictures on contestpage6 are still broken

I think if they show up it would be after the contest. Then he doesn't have to claim what ever he doesn't want to show on his contest taxes. Audit audit audit[Chanting]

Dr Morbius
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks..I fixed it now.

DeathTouch
03-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks..I fixed it now.

Looks like the infor page is still having problems.

Dr Morbius
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I fixed some more stuff on it, How is it now?

DeathTouch
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, on my end now it is still doing it but for some reason, at work, the pages are not updating very good. Even if I do a page refresh. I will have check out home unless someone can check now for you.

Dr Morbius
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
fixed more pages...Man, I really screwed up my FTP folders, but I think I got everything pointing to the right place now.

lewlew
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Doc,
Really looks good! It show what can be done with limited resources and a whole lot of imagination. Nice job!

Dr Morbius
03-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Doc,
Really looks good! It show what can be done with limited resources and a whole lot of imagination. Nice job!

Thanks..Although sometimes it feels more like the other way around!:D

DeathTouch
03-21-2006, 03:25 PM
You know dr. I really don't know who I am going to vote for. Seeing your prop, I am swaying to vote for your prop. But, with a little cash advance I might vote for your prop. LOL.

lewlew
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I hear doctors make good money. Time to get the checkbook out!
Of course, under the table is the preferred method of payment.

Dr Morbius
03-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Hehe..Oh...you guys slay me.:D

HibLaGrande
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Dr. Morbius,
I really dig your animated terror. I have all kinds of electric toys gizmos and dohickeys around here, and your prop has got me thinking....and I don't like thinking....it hurts ,and keeps me from sleeping. LOL

Dr Morbius
03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Dr. Morbius,
I really dig your animated terror. I have all kinds of electric toys gizmos and dohickeys around here, and your prop has got me thinking....and I don't like thinking....it hurts ,and keeps me from sleeping. LOL

I know what you mean..I lay awake thinking about how I can do things with toys and cheap cd players that others do with expensive software and servos. I have another idea, and I will post the project progress on the forums as I go along..Oh man, if you liked Wilfred, you aint seen NOTHIN yet!

MWaaahahahaaa!

darryl
03-24-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm doomed. After seeing your prop I don't even know why I would bother to enter. It is incredible when you think of he cost.
By the way, I used to work at Berekley Farms Dairy in San Mateo and had a good friend who lived in Castroville before I moved to little Spokane, Washington.
Anyway kids are finally in bed, time to get to work!!

Dr Morbius
03-24-2006, 01:28 AM
HA! I really hated Castroville..That's why I moved.

Anyways, don't let the thought of losing stop you..The whole idea of the challenge is to see what people come up with! I'm sure we would all like to see your finished prop.:D

Blackwidow
03-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Exceptionally nice work Doc...I LOVE the position of the head and eyes! I'm really impressed that you managed to build an animatronic prop for less than twenty bucks. Beautiful job!

Dr Morbius
03-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks BW!:D

bourno
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Did you modify the servos to just give power to the motor and then they run constantly and 360 degrees? Or was the other controller compatible the the truck receiver?

Dr Morbius
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm really not sure if these can be considered "Servos". They have a geard shaft and a stop limit. They have circuitry which I'm not sure has a potentiometer in it, as I haven't cracked them open. I used the power leads from the motors themselves, and hard wired them directly to a hardwired switchbox. No radio control. I think they are a cheap type of servo, but I've never seen a configuration like that before. When I disect them, I'll let you know more.