In a dismal dirt crypt
at his Majesty's reach
a patrol ne'er ending
ye must tread
for to lose thine life
for such to teach
the discipline jet black
of the rotted dead

My first foray into the Hauntforum $20 Prop Challenge (and large-scale paper mache) is the "King of Wraiths", a floating skeletal figure with armor and a freaking huge sword. The figure, with stand, reaches from my floor to ceiling and spans an obtrusive portion of my dining room. (7.5' x 5' x 3.5') As many know, I have a mental complex that demands every prop I build is larger than me. I began this project March 23rd, and finished in the wee hours of the morning of April 30th.

Price Breakdown:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/prices.jpg
Free Materials:
1 large fridge box (taken out of a bin at the recycling depot)
Newspaper

Method:
The Wraith took form as several parts, which never came together as a whole until the first few hours of April 30th. I created the shapes out of cardboard, using regular staples to attach where the pieces met end to end, larger staples from a pliers-style stapler for overlapping. In parts where the cardboard was in a tubular shape I wrapped sections with small pieces of packing tape. For some parts (ex. the spikes on the shoulder plates) the pieces were designed as tabs and slots, and needed no help staying in place. A piece of bamboo was fastened in the center of the sword for strength.

The cardboard was covered with torn strip paper mache (1c. flour, 1.25c. water, 1 tbsp bleach). I used a paintbrush to spread the paste and push paper against model. Only a few layers were used. In areas with "dead skin", the last layer was put on "wet and loose", creating uneven folds. Wads of newspaper with an outer layer of mache were used to make organ-like shapes for inside the ribcage.

A base coat of flat black spray paint was used. Once dry, I colored with acrylic paint, dry-brushed on. I usually let one coat dry before changing colors, to prevent smearing.

To get closer to the $20 mark, I added a few additional details. For a flicking flame effect, I mounted a bicycle light in the skull, covering the inside of the head with crumpled tinfoil to scatter the light. I also bought a loud magnet-tripped door alarm, using cardboard and wire to pull the magnet away on cue. A steel scouring pad was formed into a chainmail coif, and plastic gutter guard into a vest.

The stand was made of scrap lumber (already black from use in a Vortex Tunnel). It was comprised of a T shape on the floor, a central vertical shaft and an arm on top of that angling forward. A few nails tacked the pieces together, which were then wrapped with packing tape in areas, wire in others. The structure was held rigid tent-peg style with nails in the corners and taut pieces of wire.

And now what you've all been waiting for,
The Pics:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/kow1.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/kow2.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/kow3.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/kow4.jpg

STOLLOWEEN
05-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow, totally cool, JRR Tolkien would be proud. Love props that incorporate armor, the use of gutter guard for the vest is very creative. The helmet, horns, sword and spikes coming from the shoulders all work great. Glad you made the deadline, a very fun and evil looking prop.

STOLLOWEEN
05-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Also like your cost breakdown...much more organized than my clipboard with random scribbles. :)

heresjohnny
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
A Ring Wraith! I knew that thing looked familiar. Awesome! That thing is huge, and is gonna look great in your Haunt!

RoxyBlue
05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
With a creature like this hanging around in the dining room, you'll never have to worry about unwanted dinner guests overstaying their welcome:D

Congrats on making the deadline with minutes to spare - he's an impressive figure!

Uruk-Hai
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
HOLY FREAKIN' COOL! Love it!

halloween71
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Cool prop!

tot13
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
So cool, Tok! It was even more awesome when I realized that without the cost of your paint that you created this for less than $10!

hpropman
05-01-2010, 10:49 PM
WOW a ring wraith - totally cool!

the Rings of Power are magical artifacts. They are first described early in The Lord of the Rings in a rhyme of lore told to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,

Joiseygal
05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Way to get this prop done in time. Very cool! I love the sword.

Dark Angel 27
05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
WOW a ring wraith - totally cool!

the Rings of Power are magical artifacts. They are first described early in The Lord of the Rings in a rhyme of lore told to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,

now, how did i know you would absolutely love this prop hp? :D

awesome prop. this is gonna be really hard to vote on! best of luck to you!

ScreamingScarecrow
05-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Sweet! The Tolkien’s wraith's are terrifying and yours will be too come Halloween!

Toktorill
05-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Thank you, all! Wow! I could get a tan from the warmth of all these comments! :devil:
. . . JRR Tolkien would be proud . . .
. . . A Ring Wraith! I knew that thing looked familiar. . .
. . . WOW a ring wraith - totally cool! . . .
. . . Sweet! The Tolkienís wraith's are terrifying and yours will be too come Halloween! . . .
ROTFLMAO
Okay, I really hate to do this with everyone so excited, but... he actually wasn't LOTR- inspired. :( At least not consciously. :p Here's the funny backstory: :D

Originally, I was making a classic skeleton warrior, and I had christened the project "The Death Knight". But, as I said in my intro, if I build it, I build it BIG. This made things take longer. I was also having fun trying to find enough hours in the day to work on it- in fact I was running out of time. On the last weekend, I still hadn't started the hips or legs. So I made a decision: instead of a 10' tall full skeleton (who would have to be photographed sitting due to my 8' tall ceiling), I would do him 1/2 body, floating ghost style (a Wraith), with wooden stand. Of course, he's HUGE, and the biggest ones are usually in charge. So he became royalty. I probably confused things further by waxing poetic as a back story. Sorry for the confusion!!!So cool, Tok! It was even more awesome when I realized that without the cost of your paint that you created this for less than $10!Actually, I over-estimated what I used to make sure I was keeping in the rules- charging myself 50 cents for 10 rusty nails, saying 5 full 4oz bottles of acrylic when I used 1/4-1/2 of 6 bottles (1.5-3), rounding up the # of staples... Heck, I didn't even finish off the single 50m roll of packing tape.

Now that things have settled a little (What a week!), I would really like to thank Zombie-F, Roxy, and the whole awesome HF community. This has been a blast. Fun for the whole family. Really!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Toktorill/PropChallenge2010/kow5.jpg

fick209
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
LOTR inspired or not, doesn't change the fact...that is a great prop...and the cute ittle blonde guy grabbing the sword looks good too:)

Wildcat
05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow. Looks great. He'll make a great addition to any haunt.

Revenant
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Holy crap, Tok! That is one of your best ever! Several hundred out of ten on the Evil-o-meter. A true spectral horror. Bravo!

Devils Chariot
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Dude I just did a Slayer air guitar solo by reflex when I saw this. F**k yeah!!! This thing is metuhllllll!!!! Super cool prop !!!

Dr Dark
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Love it!