HauntForum

HauntForum (http://www.hauntforum.com/index.php)
-   Pneumatics (http://www.hauntforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Home made PVC pneumatic cylinders? anyone with experience in this? (http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=29657)

gooffy87 11-20-2011 01:19 AM

Home made PVC pneumatic cylinders? anyone with experience in this?

This year was my first real haunt year and messed around with the standard wiper motor projects. 2012 I am eager to get into the pneumatic scene but of course, it is a little pricier. Been looking at youtube and other forums and have stumbled upon how to make pvc pneumatic cylinders. Has anyone made these and used them in there haunts?

*I have seen people in other forums talk about the dangers of using these, expanding pvc....so on and so forth. I am only looking for positive experiences and not someone saying how rediculously crazy it is. After all, we haunted have all had to mess around with electricity at some point, pretty dang dangerous......lol(not to make fun but just putting it in context). thanks! PICTURES ALWAYS A PLUS!

BioHazardCustoms 11-20-2011 04:24 AM

If I walked into a haunt that wanted work done, and saw pvc cylinders, I would tell my guys to pack their tools and we would leave. PVC cylinders are extremely dangerous. There is a difference in putting yourself at risk working with electricity and putting unsuspecting haunt patrons at risk with plastic grenades just to save a buck. You can cut the power to a room while you work with electricity.

funhousewizard 11-20-2011 11:45 AM

not to be a smart @$$, but have heard and read plenty of threads on this, i beleive asking for support on this is like making a thread to support the holocaust, i have heard nothing but harsh negative feedback on this.

halstaff 11-20-2011 12:26 PM

This is probably the most volatile subject when it comes to selecting pneumatic components and is a common question especially with those interested in getting started. Granted, as haunters, we're always trying to save some money and build things ourselves but the general consensus seems to be, in this instance, it's worth the extra money to buy the commercially made cylinders.
Check out Automation Direct - http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...-repairable%29 I've ordered from them several times and have been very pleased with their prices and service.

mroct31 11-20-2011 12:48 PM

Yep, no way I'd use PVC! Getting "cheaper" air cylinders isn't easy you just have to be diligent. I just scored an SMC model that I'm going to use on a coffin sit up for $6.99 on ebay. It took a few days of watching but the deals are still there from time to time. You'll be much better off for so many reasons using real pneumatic parts made for the job they're supposed to do. Air regulators from Harbor Freight $4.99, push in connectors from Poweraire $5, air cylinders from ebay $10+, safety of props...priceless!

corey872 11-20-2011 01:16 PM

I have not personally used one, but the idea sounds interesting. I'm not sure where the 'grenade' thought comes from. Maybe someone got a bad piece of pipe and had one fail at one point and now it is urban legend?

If you look at the specs for schedule 40 PVC, even 3" dia. has a working pressure of 260psi - and it goes up from there as you go into smaller diameters. Most home compressors max out around 120-130psi, so the pipe already has a working pressure double the max you could ever throw at it. If you use a regulator and have a 'sane' pressure in the line - say 50-60 psi, now you have a 4x cushion between the line pressure and working pressure.

[I won't even mention the number of shots I've made on a PVC potato gun, who knows what type of pressure that thing generates!]

Additionally, it's not like the thing is powering a heart/lung machine. If the coffin fails to pop for a kid, it's bad but not the end of the world.

gooffy87 11-20-2011 03:43 PM

Thank u for everyones responses, his year safety seemed kind of like a no brainer pertaining to its importance (this was my firat haunt year). I really want to make what i an n spend on what i cant but seems i will prolly just order some cylinders, suppose they will last longer neway. To clear it up, i wud not be looking to put more than 40 psi at most thru some 2" pvc but i guess im scraping that idea. Thanks for the thoughts

gooffy87 11-20-2011 03:46 PM

Btw mroct, awesome profile icon. Thinking of making a full size dummy this year of that character from trick r treat for my haunt next year, really enjoyed his creepiness!

HalloweenZombie 11-20-2011 07:29 PM

I made a PVC cylinder years ago. I used a washing machine solenoid with it. I got the instructions from a Terror Syndicate book. It worked fine for about half the night, but it was a cold Halloween and the rubber stopper expanded and stuck, so the pop-up stopped working. Truth be told, you really don't save all that much money and it's a lot of extra work for nothing. As far as safety, not one person has ever heard of an actual problem with a PVC cylinder. It's an urban legend.

hauntedyards 11-20-2011 08:38 PM

Tis the season... This is a great time to start hitting Ebay for cylinders and cruise it all year. Even if you dont have a prop in mind you might find a steal on cylinders of various lengths and think... 30"... hey I could make a drop panel or a pop-up. 10" why not a skelerector or scissor. Heck with a "1 why not make something talk!

I'm a halloween hoarder... I bet I have 50+ different cylninders downstairs straight and rotary from 1" to "36 in bores from "3 to 1/2". I have no idea what I will do with them... lol

While you are at it stock up on solenoids... there are some good deals to be had there as well...

Best of luck and welcome to the airhead club!