Haunt Forum banner

Pallet wood coffin...

14K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  mic214 
#1 · (Edited)
Pallet wood Prop Werx...more pics on pg3....

ETA:

I changed the title of my thread as I am adding photos of a few more pallet wood props, in addition to my Toe Pincher coffins....Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions....:D !!!

Here are some pics of my pallet wood "Toe Pincher" coffin build so far....This coffin is going to replace a wire and fabric coffin that I had previously used in my haunt. There is no bottom to this prop as I am going to put a small floodlight and a fog machine inside of it, so it will be slightly elevated off the ground a couple of inches for air to flow in and out. The top will be skewed open a little bit to allow for a skeleton hand/arm to come out....

I am going to be adding some rope handles, chains and moss to it to finish things off.

More pics to follow...

See less See more
#2 ·
When I see all the great coffins people build for their haunts, I wonder why any of us would bother to pay large sums of money for one at a funeral home:D

This looks great, Mic!

#8 ·
Thanks all....this is my first coffin prop and I plan to build build one more full sized one and one half sized ground-breaker style. I have been looking at coffins that others have built and kind of winged it as far as plans go....I wanted it to look real rough though and I think it turned out fairly well...

In addition to the coffins, I also am working on a Hangman's Gallows and a treasure chest (I run a Haunted Pirate theme at my house) all made out of pallet wood.

I have been getting all my pallets free off of Craig's List. They are a real b#*@h to take apart that's for sure!!!! I use a Sawzall, like IMU mentioned, to cut through the nails. I haven't found any to have glue on them....Thank God!!!

For construction, I use star drive screws...they are a little pricey, but they sure make it easier to put things together...

More pics to follow.....:D !!!!

#12 · (Edited)
I have been getting all my pallets free off of Craig's List. They are a real b#*@h to take apart that's for sure!!!! I use a Sawzall, like IMU mentioned, to cut through the nails. I haven't found any to have glue on them....Thank God!!
I never thought of cutting them.
I just used a crowbar.
No wonder it took so long........:eek:

Your coffin looks great ,BTW

#21 ·
After taking a hard look at my coffin, I saw that the wood looked to new and the cut edges stood out a bit......, I decided to try my hand at "Flame aging"....I took a propane torch and "Painted" the exterior of the coffin.....I think it turned out pretty good! I plan to do this effect on my other pallet wood projects......

Before:

After:

#22 ·
Gorgeous, Mic! I first heard of using this technique as a way to bring out the grain in wood many years ago. It makes for an amazingly beautiful piece, whether it's a chest of drawers or a chest of bones:)

#23 · (Edited)
I am still working on coffin#2, but I ran out the longer boards for the lid, so that prop was put on hold for a bit until I can pick up some more pallets.

In the interim, I started on a large Treasure chest and a smaller "Jewelry Box".

This Treasure chest will replace the Styrofoam one that I had used in the past as it kept falling apart. I will be adding a shallow shelf in the upper section of the chest to hold all of the "Treasure", which will consist of a pile of beads, coins and sparkling Xmas lights....I am working on the lid now and need to add the lock, hinges and rope handles to finish it off:

The smaller jewelry box will go into my wrecked row boat scene. It will also hold a collection of coins in a shallow tray. I need to add the lock, hinges and rope handles to it as well:

Here is a shot of both of them together:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.