Haunt Forum banner

Face Off 2012

12K views 117 replies 28 participants last post by  fontgeek 
#1 ·
Just got done watching the opening episode of the new season of Face Off (DVR is your friend when you can't watch something "live" :)) As talented as last year's cast was, I think the group selected for this season is even more so. I also loved the idea for the first team challenge - reimagining characters from "The Wizard of Oz".

Looking forward to another season of inspirational work!

And I always feel sad for the first person eliminated:(

#73 ·
Spooky1 and I finally got around to watching the DVR recording of the show today. The three top looks were absolutely marvelous, but I must give some favor to the demented cellist, me being a string player and all:) The bellhop was very Burtonesque and that ice cream man definitely scary.

The elimination choice did surprise me a little, but it points up how you have to stay on top of the game as much as possible at this point in the competition.

#74 ·
I was surprised that the one they said "apparently never saw a Tim Burton movie" should be kept, while one that made a mistake with props was eliminated. Are you kidding me?

I don't know how much of this is predetermined beforehand and how much is decided based on judges' on the spot decisions. I also am not sure that upsetting the judges in one contest won't destroy you later. It's TV, after all.

The bellhop I went back and forth on. From "that could be cool" to "what is he thinking" to "oh, that worked out great."

I never had any doubts about the cellist from the first sketch. Very cool.

This is where it gets tougher and tougher, and normally I would say to expect every entry from here out to be remarkable.

#75 ·
That was kinda my thought but sue even though it wasn't burton put alot of work into the look the mask sculpt was good I thought . Sorry to see Becky go but I really thought she just kinda phoned it in resting on her wins from other challenges I'm upset that she left she was one of my picks for the finals.

#76 ·
I think Sue missed the mark and Beki made a bad choice, which is why the elimination selection surprised me.

Getting the judges annoyed probably does not help your case. Based on comments made last year, they want to see people absorb the criticisms and learn from them. That's part of becoming a professional.

#77 ·
Sue really missed the mark and wasn't Burtonesque, but since Becki went without prosthetic, she needed to have an amazing makeup job and just didn't do it. Becki's props also ended up being too plain to make up for the rest. Sue's gotten lucky the last two weeks.

#78 ·
Part of the formula for the show is to have a set number of the best, and a set number of the worst for the final judgement scene. If they didn't do that then they would just say "your job on this didn't cut it, you're gone" and the last 121 or so minutes of the show would be gone. I think the loser for last week's episode lost because she kind of lost track of the show's identity, makeup. Between that and kind of drifting away from that week's theme "Tim Burton" she ended up with the worst of pieces done.
The show gives glimpses of the artists honest feelings, and whether they have caught on to the fact that when you are working for someone else, you need to fill their need or desires, not your own, and that you need to expand your skills, and improve upon the ones you already have. Too many of the artists, especially the ones who've been cut, complain because they haven't been able to show their strengths/skills, when growth is the skill they need to show most.
I'm always amazed at the lack of learning on time management. I think most of the artists, both last season and the current one, need to plan on having about half or three fourths of the time they are scheduled for, and make all of their designs and scheduling upon that abbreviated time line, that would give them the extra time they actually need to complete their planned builds.
just thoughts from the cheap seats.

#80 ·
Ironically enough, Sue has consistently been one of the worst offenders in poor time management. I understand this was leveled at Becki this time for spending so much time on the cupcake, but consider this: Becki did exactly what she planned to do. She created a derivative mad hatter-cum-baker character mostly based on wardrobe and makeup.

If she had completed the cupcake on the first day, she would have still presented the same finished product, which to my mind at least looked like something from Tim Burton. OK, maybe too much, but I was surprised to find that "too much Burton" lost to "none at all".

I wonder about the forum's thoughts on Ian's? It paled compared to the two top looks, though I don't think it should have been panned so strongly. I admit I don't know what I would have done with a plumber. What could he have done that would not come out "Edward Pipewrench-hands?"

I also wonder how long Ian can hold it together without Jerry to tell him to calm down and follow his vision.

I think everyone still left has won once, right? I look forward to seeing what they do with their challenges going forward.

#83 ·
I know both seasons have had body paint challenges, which did not require prosthetics. They had the "plain Jane" contest this season too. They made models look unatractive. I think that was done in an hour, and the only "prosthetics" I remember was some wax for a broken nose.

Last season they had a challenge where they made themselves over and were supposed to fool a loved one. One girl's prosthetics failed to come together so she used only beauty makeup. That, however, was not the challenge and as I recall, that's when she went home.

Looking forward to season 3 already.

#82 · (Edited)
They may have done one or two challenges of that nature in the first season, but I think they realized that most of the people watching were more interested in the prosthetics side of things, and that they can all probably do standard makeup reasonably well already so they don't bother making that a challenge.

I think they put Ian in that group because they had to have three top artists and three bottom artists, and he just didn't make it to the top of that challenge, though I think his was better than the other two in that group. The judges comments about most of his work being on the back of the actor/model was correct, but I don't think that trying to put that kind of setup on the front of the model would have allowed an actor to...well, act! Those props would have been in the way of free movement and good visuals of the actor's face in a movie shoot. I think he might have been able to do plumbing style legs, or a facade for the torso that was a base relief sculpture of pipes and such instead of normal abdominal muscles and tissue. He could have replaced the actor's hands with pipe wrenches or something, but there would have been screaming about copying the Edward Scissorshands character.

#86 ·
Last nights episode was a double elimination to get to the finale. They went to the museum of natural history and picked out a dinosaur to make a hybrid dino human. Some really creative outcomes. Sue's was awesome. She did a version of herself as a hipchick dinosaur. It was cool but not cool enough. The three to go through to the finale deserved it. These required some extensive prostetic work and a ton of body painting. Dino tails are not small. Can't wait until it's on netflix to watch them back for techniques.

#87 ·
We watched the DVR'd show last night. I really enjoyed this challenge because who doesn't love dinosaurs?:) All five contestants did wonderful work on their projects, and I like that the judges took the "it's not about who goes home, but who should be kept". The critiques were balanced and supportive.

Funniest moment - when Ve beat Glen with her notepad when he said he didn't like girl power and Patrick said "I like it, so maybe there is something wrong with me":D

I agree with tcass - very worthy finalists. Any one of them could take the win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.