HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Technological Terror
Forgot Password?

Notices

Technological Terror For the discussion of items of technology such as motors, controllers, motion sensors, audio boards etc. Also to discuss how to hack commercial electronic props.

Old 04-04-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts
Default pico jr vs. monsterguts prop controller

Hi all, i already own a fright props pico jr, 2 relays, no audio capabilities and was 69.99. I was checking out monsterguts and they make a controller than handles 2 relays, can store and play audio, and can store up to 8 diff sequences also for 69.99 . Seems like a no brainer that the monsterguts controller offers more but does anybody have any thoughts on the differance or why we should by one over the other? I do know that monsterguts only offers a 12 v controller compared to fright props whose controllers are available in a few different voltages.
Old 04-05-2012
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty

Liked 25 times in 6 posts

I own controllers from both companies. I would only suggest that a controller like like F104 that has audio would be my preference over one that doesn't. If the poco jr doesn't have audio then I would suggest considering one of the pico-boos that provide audio abilities for your comparison.

Consider sound file length as well. Is the controller capable of playing a long enough clip with ample volume or will you need amplification?
Old 04-05-2012
Lunatic

Liked 9 times in 5 posts

I own 3 Monsterguts Nerve Center controllers and I love them. They are super easy and very dependable. If I need a controller without sound and with more channels then I usually go with EFX, but that takes a lot more effort and know how. I don't own a Pico, so I can't offer a comparison. I can only say I'm extremely happy with the Nerve Center.
Old 04-05-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Thx for the input, it seems like a no brainer to get the monsterguts one becuz of the price and capabilities. I just wanted to make sure it was not like a microchip that needed crazy programming through a computer or something. Thx!
Old 04-05-2012
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

What is the quality of the audio? Is it "telephone quality" like the ISD chips, or is it higher quality, MP3-like sound.
Old 04-05-2012
Frightener

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I have a picoboo 105 and I think the audio is decent. When first setting up the audio, you may have to do it a couple of times to get the.audio change to be seamless. It is also dependent on what you plug into it to record from. A slight bit of knowledge is helpfull to know that often if you crank the output of your computer or cd player, it may distort when recording. A good rule is to have your source at about 75%. Sound with anything is always dependent on your setup and the quality of.the equipment and you ability to know how to use it.
Old 04-06-2012
Lunatic

Liked 53 times in 27 posts

I currently have 3 monsterguts nerve centers and I personally Love them. They are very easy to use, never had a problem with them.It is very easy to set up the audio and it sounds great. Monsterguts is a top notch company also. I can offer no advice on the pico as I don't have one. I also have controller from Hauntmaster Products wich I also like a lot for more simple props.
Old 04-06-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Looks like im gettin the monsterguts nerve center for my pneumatic jack in the box! Thx for the input everyone!
Old 04-08-2012
Fearless

Liked 7 times in 3 posts

Recently using a nerve center and PicoBoo, also have a Maestro II controllers and controllers from Cowlacious. I prefer the Nerve center and the PicoBoo, both. Easy to program and work with.
Old 04-08-2012
Fearless

Liked 7 times in 3 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooffy87 View Post
Looks like im gettin the monsterguts nerve center for my pneumatic jack in the box! Thx for the input everyone!
Good choice. My elevater prop uses 2.
These are easy to work with.