HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Technological Terror
Forgot Password?

Notices

Technological Terror For the discussion of items of technology such as motors, controllers, motion sensors, audio boards etc. Also to discuss how to hack commercial electronic props.

Old 04-13-2012
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts
Angry Fcg

I am working on a flying crank ghost per Dr. Kreepy's specs. I am having difficulty finding a u bolt small enough to connect the motor to the aluminum rotating arm. Where can I find an extremely narrow u bolt or is there another good way to connect the motor the arm?
Old 04-13-2012
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 2 posts

Look for a clamp that's used to secure steel cable. Lowes used to carry them, but I haven't looked in quite a while.
Old 04-13-2012
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 2 posts

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-13-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Best advice i can think of is check out your local hardware stores fencing department. There is all kinds of stuff you could adapt if you have the tools and a little bit of imagination lol. Are you using the dayton motor? I use vent motors for the fcg and they work perfect, most have 3 holes to fix it to something so i simply screw it to my frame. Let us know if you have any other questions(also, once you find the correct lengths for your foshing wire, write em down! That took me the longest, to figure out the lengths that make it looks right)
Old 04-13-2012
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Yep.. went with the cable clamps myself. get the kind that looks like small u bolts. true value or ace will have them also. wait till you get done and it will end up being one of your fav. props. mines 14 yaers old now and still running great. the ghost has been re-done 4 times, but it just gets better
Old 04-14-2012
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

wow, my first ever posting on a forum of any sort and thank you for the helpful responses. I am using the motor from Rex engineering. I ordered it from Monsterguts.com. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks about Halloween all year round. people think I'm crazy! Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2012
Desensitized

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdodd1785 View Post
wow, my first ever posting on a forum of any sort and thank you for the helpful responses. I am using the motor from Rex engineering. I ordered it from Monsterguts.com. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks about Halloween all year round. people think I'm crazy! Thanks again.
Oh, no. You're not alone. You're never alone.

I'll chime in as well in favor of the steel cable clamp. They usually come in pairs everywhere I've seen them. I double nutted both sides once tight to make sure the nuts can't back off. Lock-tite would probably work too, but since I had a spare set if nuts from the other, unused clamp...
Old 04-14-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I would also advise using locking nuts whenever possible, the biggest issue i had was the regular nuts backing off, under coninous use, locking nuts fixed that :-) lock-tite is very good also as locking nuts can be tedious to put in place depending on how long your bolt is(they have to be put in place with wrenches as they do not turn by hand which could take a very....long....time lol)
Old 04-16-2012
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

thank you for the suggestion of the cable clamps. i test fit one yesterday and it fit perfectly. i look forward to a demanding work schedule allowing me the time to finish this prop (in April)
Old 04-16-2012
Lunatic

Liked 17 times in 8 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdodd1785 View Post
Welcome to the insanity my fiend - You will get used to rolling eyes and reactions from family and friends but when they see what you do on Halloween they start to ask what I have planned for next year. Do not tell them - Just say Pain and walk away laughing -

My prop information page: http://www.freewebs.com/hpropman/