HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 09-21-2010
Ghost Maker

Liked 72 times in 23 posts

puterdoc, I am aware of 3 of the lines that will get some slack in them while turning, but I have not had any problems with them to date. The line that pulls the head back will get a fair amount of slack in it. If it is getting tangled on you let me know and I will try to devise a work around. We may be able to lengthen the dowel the line attaches to to get rid of the slack.

The other lines I am aware of getting slack are the ones that turn the head. I think the dowels that the head turning lines attach to could be lengthed to the point where there would be no slack.

If these are not the problem please let me know. I will post anything I find out looking into it.

Anyone else having any success, or problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterdoc View Post
Hey HJ, thanks for the update.

I've still got an issue with the line rigging that I'm working on. A few of the lines get very loose whilr the motor is turning. I'm not sure why this is as I followed the How-To step by step. Anyone else seeing the lines getting loose as the motor turns?
Old 09-21-2010
Ghost Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterdoc View Post
Hey HJ, thanks for the update.

I thought I'd share what I did during construction to keep the pivot points from binding. It works great. While picking up some parts at a local surplus store, I found some nylon shoulder washers that fit the 3/8" dowels. They are just loose enough to allow the dowels to turn without binding at all. You need to drill the pivot holes at 1/2" and then use a washer on both sides of the block. The shoulder portion of the washer also has the added benefit of giving you spacer where the blocks come together. These things are available all over the web, but at the surplus store they were pretty cheap.
This is good idea! I have found that using the 13/32 drill bit for the shoulder holes provides just the right size hole. That, and using the washer provided in the kit, and lubing the joints with wax (I use chapstick) works well too. Not sure if as good as the solution puterdoc is offering, time will tell.
Old 09-23-2010
Petrified

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
puterdoc, I am aware of 3 of the lines that will get some slack in them while turning, but I have not had any problems with them to date. The line that pulls the head back will get a fair amount of slack in it. If it is getting tangled on you let me know and I will try to devise a work around. We may be able to lengthen the dowel the line attaches to to get rid of the slack.

The other lines I am aware of getting slack are the ones that turn the head. I think the dowels that the head turning lines attach to could be lengthed to the point where there would be no slack.

If these are not the problem please let me know. I will post anything I find out looking into it.

Anyone else having any success, or problems?
These are the same lines I am seeing slack in. As long as they do not cause any tangling, it should not be an issue. Thanks again for a great prop idea.
Old 09-23-2010
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Thanks for the "how to". Very detailed. I will need to try this next year.
Old 10-22-2010
Petrified

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

don't laugh, but this is the one project I am creating for my decorations this year, hopefully I will be able to get it done in time.

HJ, I am having trouble finding some pulleys that will work? Where did you get the ones pictured and what were their original purpose [as in, what department?]
I checked both my main hardware chains [home depot and orchard supply hardware] and neither carried any swivel pulleys that small, or that I could mount in both fashions as shown in your pictures.

I am nearly done cutting my wood, and look forward to completing the mechanisim, hopefully by the end of the weekend.
Old 10-22-2010
Ghost Maker

Good luck! I have found it takes a little longer to skin the mechanism than build the mechnism, just for your planning purposes.

I got my pully's here, which are provided with the kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-7-8-Nylon-Pu...item22ff9eb30b

If you cover shipping I'd be happy to send a couple your way, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaunit View Post
don't laugh, but this is the one project I am creating for my decorations this year, hopefully I will be able to get it done in time.

HJ, I am having trouble finding some pulleys that will work? Where did you get the ones pictured and what were their original purpose [as in, what department?]
I checked both my main hardware chains [home depot and orchard supply hardware] and neither carried any swivel pulleys that small, or that I could mount in both fashions as shown in your pictures.

I am nearly done cutting my wood, and look forward to completing the mechanisim, hopefully by the end of the weekend.
Old 10-25-2010
Ghost Maker

How-to updated. The AC Vent motor needs a 12 volt DC power source.
Old 04-16-2012
Lunatic

Liked 9 times in 5 posts

Does anybody have this how to? The link seems broken.
Old 04-16-2012
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 107 times in 40 posts

I sent a PDF I'd saved of the plans a while ago to Hauntiholik and she's posted it elsewhere so it wouldn't get lost. If I can find the thread where we talked about it, I'll get the link.

(moments later) - Here you go - Haunti gives a link in her post in this thread:

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread...hnny%27s+ghost
Old 04-17-2012
Lunatic

Liked 9 times in 5 posts

Got it! Thanks for the link to the how-to Roxy! Let's see, 196 days to Halloween, better get started.