HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Halloween Discussions > Halloween
Forgot Password?

Notices

Halloween Post anything about Halloween that doesn't have its own forum -- memories, favorite candies, stories, -- anything!

Old 09-23-2012
Frightener

Liked 9 times in 7 posts
Default Trunk or treat decorating KITS?!?

Wandered through WalMart's Halloween section while I was shopping today. They have Trunk or Treat decorating KITS.

You have about 4'x4' of space to decorate and you need a kit? Talk to me when you have 2,000 square feet of yard to deal with.

Just shook my head and laughed.
Old 09-24-2012
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper

Liked 20 times in 6 posts

Trunk or Treat? Its just idiotic.
Old 09-24-2012
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 107 times in 40 posts

Come now, be charitable - at least they're still celebrating the holiday

And think of this, too - decorating a small space well presents its own set of challenges. The kit is just a jumping off point for folks who participate in this activity and haven't yet tapped into their creative skills, just the way buying store-bought tombstones is for haunters who are just starting out putting together a yard haunt.
Old 09-24-2012
Frightener

Liked 9 times in 7 posts

Consider me suitably chastised. {hanging head in shame}
Old 09-24-2012
Official HF Jerk v1.0

Liked 28 times in 8 posts

I really don't understand the concept behind Trunk or Treat, but that might be because I firmly believe in the tradition of Trick or Treating. If they need a kit to get them started, more power to them. I personally need a kit for more props for this year. Not gonna buy one, I'm just saying...
Old 09-24-2012
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 107 times in 40 posts

It's okay, Autumn, I understand where you were coming from, and it was funny

I think the biggest factor driving Trunk or Treat is a desire to have a safe area for kids to do their trick or treating.
Old 09-24-2012
Official HF Jerk v1.0

Liked 28 times in 8 posts

Then don't take your kids trick or treating in the ghetto. Especially if your teenager is going dressed as a "Gangster Rapper"
Old 09-24-2012
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazardCustoms View Post
I really don't understand the concept behind Trunk or Treat, but that might be because I firmly believe in the tradition of Trick or Treating. If they need a kit to get them started, more power to them. I personally need a kit for more props for this year. Not gonna buy one, I'm just saying...

Our town's "trunk or treat" is done by the local police department.. the idea being that parents who are uncomfortable encouraging their children to approach a stranger's home and take candy from them will be more comfortable with getting it from the police.

it serves a couple purposes, really.. the households that don't like to open their doors to strangers can still participate, and then children can still participate even when their parents are less willing to let them actually approach houses.

I think it's a little silly, and i hope to always be an authentic halloween household.. but i get it.
Old 09-24-2012
Challenging traditions!

Liked 45 times in 23 posts

I get it and understand the reasoning. Doesn't mean I gotta like it though. I'm all for embracing change and challenging traditions. But trunk-or-treat is just silly.

I think people this day and age are being way to uber paranoid. But I'm not a fan of the way this generation of kids are being coddled and spoiled. Kids don't play outside much anymore. Most kids are lucky to be able to ride their bikes in the driveway much less being able to ride a few blocks away to visit a friend. You gotta schedule playdates with your friend next door instead of just going over, knocking on the door and asking if they can come out and play. Over protective parents sit in their cars not 20' from the bus stop in the morning while their kids wait 10 minutes for the bus to arrive - yet the school is only 5 minutes away. Heck, in most cases I don't even see kids playing in their own yards anymore. And this is in the really GOOD neighborhoods.

Yes crazy stuff happens even in great neighborhoods. Yes sometimes the pedophile is your neighbor of 25 years who always seemed like a really nice person. But honestly things are no worse today than they were when most of us were growing up. The media and access to news and information 24/7 as it happens has made us paranoid of walking out of our front doors even. Crap happens... And if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen, that's life. If you aren't living it you're wasting space.

Trunk-or-treat is just an over reaction to this paranoia. Halloween is a perfect time to get to know your neighbors. It's one of the best meet-n-greet holidays there is. And what do we do, go hang out with only people know and feel safe around at a trunk-or-treat. As you can tell, it's a particularly sore spot for me. As a father of two I want my kids to go outside and play and enjoy life as I did when I was a kid... You know, actually being a kid. But society today keeps pushing us into smaller and smaller social groups of only people we know. Pity really... And depressing...

Faegoria Google+ Terrormaster.com

Last edited by Terrormaster; 09-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2012
Volat cum ea suas alas.

Liked 4 times in 4 posts

America, The Land of the Scared Parents.