Haunt Forum banner

Pool Noodle Archway?

9K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  stick 
#1 ·
As seen in the hallowed haunting grounds (rest in peace awesome haunt):

The last year they were up we talked to one of the propmasters there and they explained they made these using pool noodles.

After searching our forum, I've noticed the favored use for pool noodles in our group is as boning or to flesh out a arm or leg of a prop. Has anyone used them in this sort of archway capasity? I mean I get that they should be angularly cut but do you think I should support them internally in any way? is it litteraly jsut a bunch of pool noodles bundled up, or do you think it's a large one that's been carved out?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
I imagine they just shaved a wee slice down the length of each noodle so they would have a good surface area tgo bond, then glued them together with serious adhesive. Once they were bonded side by side in a cluster I imagine they'd withstand a goode bit of wind shear but if you're worried I imagine you could glue a thin strip of plywood between the noodles; "sandwiches" are awesome at resisting shear.

Don't quote me on this,; but I think Riley (1031fan) used pool noodles cut into quarters to provide molding for the cathedral archway windows he made for the funeral chapel in his haunt.

Noodles rule.

#7 ·
Yes they are Rev, keepin an eye for the sales too as they should be starting soon. Seen em go as low as a buck each. Hmmm maybe some liquid nails or the foam version which is much thicker.

Any clue how they keep the arched shape?

#9 ·
A great adhesive for foam is LocTite Power Grab Construction adhesive. For added strength in the hollow needles, bend 1/2" pvc with a Heat Gun to support the noodle from the inside. They will hold the arch without it, but tend to lean no matter what you do.

#10 ·

Here's a small version of a pool noodle arch. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. The pool noodles are too flimsy to support themselves. The bottom two noodles are just half noodles glued to the plywood. The top noodle is slit on one side then slipped over the edge of the plywood.

If I were to make a free standing arch with three pool noodles, I would cut my shape from plywood, slit the top and bottom noodles and slip them over the plywood and cut the middle noodle in half and glue it on to the front and back of the plywood.

The biggest problem is trying to get the paint to stick to the pool noodle. Once the paint is dry, if the noodle is flexed even a little bit the paint chips off. I have to touch my arch up every year.

#14 ·
The biggest problem is trying to get the paint to stick to the pool noodle. Once the paint is dry, if the noodle is flexed even a little bit the paint chips off. I have to touch my arch up every year.
Invest in a bucket of elastomeric paint. It has the highest content of rubber solids of any paint on the market; it practically becomes solid rubber when it dries. I use it as a base coat for anything that paint doesn't want to stick to; then when that's dry go over it with your latex/acrylics/whatever you have.

#11 ·
Yeah, I noticed the paint problems. I used a pool noddle for the stirring stick in my witch last year. The H20 Latex paint held better but not great. And the Great Stuff I sprayed on it kept chipping off. I would think a good latex should be fine.

I like the suggestion of using bent PVC for support. I need to get me a heat gun, the closest I got is our hair dryer hehehe.

#12 ·
On the subject of adhesives.... I have had both dried Liquid Nails and Loctite peel off of my Styrofoam graves before.... I'm just wondering if some kind of gel type adhesive might be better, since it might sink into the pourous surface of the pool noodle, whereas the Liquid Nails will most likely just sit on top of it? (And therefore might peel off?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.