Haunt Forum banner

Foam. The expandable kind!

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  NATUREPIXIE 
#1 ·
So....I used my first can of spray foam...

Honestly, I was not aware of the results this thing was gonna produce.
I hope it doesn't keep expanding, if so my 20 dollar challenge is ruined!

lol

Second...how the hell do you get this crap off your hands?
I forgot to put gloves on. Its not clumped but I can feel it on my fingers.
So annoying.

#2 ·
i don't think that you can get it off your hands. or clothes. or hair. it will eventually come off your hands after time (a couple days) or you can sit there and rip it off. (ouch.)
as for it expanding, it depends on what kind of foam you bought.
hope your project is okay! if you don't like the way it turned out you can hack off the dried foam and try it again!

#8 ·
Well your expansion will depend on what kind you used...even the minimal expands more than you think. you can puch it down kinda after top skin dries too.
hope it worked out for you.

#11 ·
Without knowing what you're doing with the Great Stuff, here's some tips from me:

I used a boning knife to shave it when I made Bird Girl:
http://hometown.aol.com/howloweenqueen/page1.html

The trick is to have a sharpener close at hand, because that stuff will dull a knife quickly. A hot wire foam cutter didn't work well for me, but maybe one better than a Wonder Cutter would work. It expands a bunch, and will continue to expand for a while after you think it's stopped when you have thick layers of it. Bird Girl ended up with some cracks in her from expanding 2 months after I made her.

As for polishing, that's impossible as far as I can tell, unless you use some sort of heat method. I used a palm sander and a small Mouse sander to smooth it as best I could. I used LOTS of paint on her too, since the foam soaks it up.

Good luck!

#19 ·
I love Great Stuff, and I believe it is a wonderful medium for propmaking. Matter of fact, Bird Girl stays out in the flower bed all year long since Great Stuff if so resilient. Everyone thinks she is a concrete statue.

I also save all the shavings from it when I carve it to use as filler for other props, since it is a lot less likely to hold water or disintegrate than wadded up newspaper.

#21 ·
I also save all the shavings from it when I carve it to use as filler for other props, since it is a lot less likely to hold water or disintegrate than wadded up newspaper.
What kind of props Ghostess, scarecrows or dummy's? Don't laugh, I'm new..LOL

Okay so be prepared old clothes or protective covering, gloves and hat...got it!

Thanks!!

#22 ·
"What kind of props Ghostess, scarecrows or dummy's? Don't laugh, I'm new..LOL"

Anything that needs filler material. Dummies, masks, anything you would use newspaper, packing peanuts, or other stuff to fill with. I save extra leftover bits of styrofoam and the blue/pink foams as well for light weight filler material. No sense in throwing it out when it can be used!

#25 ·
I rubbed vaseline on my hands before using it. Didnt have a prob with it coming off my hands after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.