HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > General Prop Discussion
Forgot Password?

Notices

General Prop Discussion General prop discussion forum. For discussions that don't really "fit" into another of the propbuilding categories.

Old 02-18-2017
A Wee Bit Wicked....

Liked 77 times in 31 posts

Yay jdubbya, nice work on that. I have had that lantern "pinned" for years....I just was too chicken to try to bring it to life. You are making a wonderful version of it. Oops! My mistake, this is the one I have pinned. It's Marrow's version.

Last edited by Pumpkin5; 02-18-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2017
Lunatic

Liked 142 times in 70 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhayne View Post
Really nice , i started to work on some for this year haunt with my boys. I will modify my technique right away to reflect the effect you've created with the foil paper.

Thanks a lot for sharing it with us , great inspiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin5 View Post
Yay jdubbya, nice work on that. I have had that lantern "pinned" for years....I just was too chicken to try to bring it to life. You are making a wonderful version of it. Oops! My mistake, this is the one I have pinned. It's Marrow's version.

Thanks all. I'm happy with them so far. Samhayne, I'm only following Gourdin Fester's tutorial so can't take credit but the tin foil is great for these types of detail and armatures.
Jana, I really like that one you have pinned and especially the thing it's hanging on. I might attempt something like that for a couple of mine. They have a Burton-esque look to them. Really cool!
Old 02-19-2017
Ghost Maker

Liked 110 times in 33 posts

Great start! One thing I have learned about mache from pumpkin rot years ago is to mix elmers glue and water. He suggested it for clothing on scarecrows, and I have found that glue based mache survives over time much better than flour based, especially down south.
Old 02-19-2017
Fearless

Liked 23 times in 6 posts

I never use flour. I use 75/25 elmers glue/water mix. It dries rock hard. They make a clear rubber spray that I use to seal it if Im out of polycrylic. But, I must warn everyone, it smells like gasoline. But if its going outside, who cares.
I love the lantern JW-- So you used white latex and paper towels there? How easy was it to make all those little pieces with the latex paint mache in your opinion?
Old 02-19-2017
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
Great start! One thing I have learned about mache from pumpkin rot years ago is to mix elmers glue and water. He suggested it for clothing on scarecrows, and I have found that glue based mache survives over time much better than flour based, especially down south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmom View Post
I never use flour. I use 75/25 elmers glue/water mix. It dries rock hard. They make a clear rubber spray that I use to seal it if Im out of polycrylic. But, I must warn everyone, it smells like gasoline. But if its going outside, who cares.
I love the lantern JW-- So you used white latex and paper towels there? How easy was it to make all those little pieces with the latex paint mache in your opinion?
Yes, I'm using the elmers glue/water mix. 2 parts glue to 1 part water. It's working very well and is drying very hard. I'm following Gourdin Fester's instructions almost to a T and the end result is what I was looking for.
Ana, I'm using Kleenex hand towels. I peel them apart to make two very thin sheets. The armatures made from the foil are really neat. I just hot glue them to the foil on the body of the lantern. I learned quickly that aluminum foil conducts heat from hot glue very well! Yikes! Here's another one I'm in the process of doing. I have the first layer of paper covering all the foil and next will do a couple layers of texturing, tearing the paper, etc..

My glue tub

Old 02-19-2017
Ghost Maker

Liked 110 times in 33 posts

I am curious what final look you are aiming for. The original picture looks like roots or vines. The marrow version looks more like grass, thin vines or web. Yours looks like it is incorporating webbing or skin along with the roots, almost like it is living. All very organic and all very cool.
Old 02-20-2017
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
I am curious what final look you are aiming for. The original picture looks like roots or vines. The marrow version looks more like grass, thin vines or web. Yours looks like it is incorporating webbing or skin along with the roots, almost like it is living. All very organic and all very cool.
As far as the final look I'm going for, I'm hoping they'll look a lot like the one in the video but like any project, we try our own techniques and I'm doing a couple things different with the textures, specifically adding more layers. I think once I get color on them, they'll look pretty close to the original and as long as they have that organic, swampy, witchy look, I'll be happy. Most of the detail will be for me anyway and guests will not be viewing them from close up.
Old 03-19-2017
Lunatic

So I have a total of 6 completed and ready for paint, once the weather permits. Two large and 4 small. Also have one more I'm starting on just to try some different techniques. A couple other pics.

Old 03-19-2017
Clean "cut"

Liked 33 times in 14 posts

Gnarly!
Old 5 Days Ago
Lunatic

A couple other projects ready for paint. Kind of random concepts but will look neat in our witch forest scene.