HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Light and Sound
Forgot Password?

Notices

Light and Sound Forum for the discussion of the fine art adding light and sound to your haunt.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts
Default Speaker suggestions

So I am working on a zombie containment unit, I need to know what a good powered speaker would be for both the tvs. The main monitor is more of my concern than the secondary. Too many decisions and I've spent a fortune as it is, so before I lose money I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions!
Thanks in advance
Tank
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Ghost Maker

Liked 110 times in 33 posts

If you are looking for speakers on the cheap, and there is some form of IT department where you work, there are usually old powered computer speakers lying around they would love to get rid of. I cleared a box of them for free many years ago and I still have not used all of them. If you want more umff computer gaming speakers that include a sub can usually be found for a reasonable price.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I wana spend maybe 150 on a set of powered speakers. I did have some old computer speakers, but the sound isn't what it should be when the zombie gets angry inside the chamber, I want at least some of the bass without an actual sub in the cabinet. Thanks
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I've heard of someone using an old smaller size guitar amp but not sure if that's too big for what you were thinking. Good luck!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Ghost Maker

Liked 110 times in 33 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
I wana spend maybe 150 on a set of powered speakers. I did have some old computer speakers, but the sound isn't what it should be when the zombie gets angry inside the chamber, I want at least some of the bass without an actual sub in the cabinet. Thanks
I would suggest checking out the PC gaming powered speakers that include a sub. For example https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speakerr is $150, 200 watts. You could probably check out something similar at a Best Buy or similar.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Ok thanks guys. That's settled
Old 2 Days Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

After three months of work, I just finished building my own ZCU over the weekend. I hear you on the costs. Iím using a Behringer MicroMix MX400 ($25 on Amazon) to mix the audio from the two media sources to a single mono audio signal. The single mono audio signal goes to a single old JBL LSR 5" powered studio monitor. Iím thinking of moving the JBL to another prop and replacing it with something like a single Mackie MR8 mk3 powered studio monitor.
Old 2 Days Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Looks like I’m still too junior to edit my own posts. The MR8 is $199. The 5" MR5 is $120.
Old 1 Day Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Ya I'm still new on here as well... I was simply going to use the headphone jack on the main monitor and use computer speakers and use something for the small monitor.. So much detail stuff in this project! I'll have to look into the micro mix see if that would work better for me! Thanks for the advice.
So do I have pics of your setup? Did u use the pneumatic as well???
Old 1 Day Ago
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Hi, Tanker,

Thereís a photo in this post before it was completely painted and before the LEDs were working and before some other detail work was completed:

http://www.hauntforum.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Iím going to try to move some stuff around in the basement, get a black background cloth hung up, and take some real photos this weekend.

I bought my pneumatics from Automation Direct. I used a few MedeaWiz Sprites, built a few of my own boards, and wrote my own DTMF decoder to control everything. Iíll get photos of all the guts when I take photos.

-Glen