Haunt Forum banner

Internals of a fog machine heater block!

18K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  RoxyBlue 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever wonder what a fog machine heater block choped in half would look like, well here ya go!

See less See more
#2 ·
photos STILL arent visable. only the links. LOL!

Anyways....

A SPIRAL path in the solid alum block???!!?? Gotta be to keep the fluid on a hot path long enough until it vaporizes.... Maybe also aids in preventing the fluid from 'back-flashing' toward the pump??

Additionally, this shows that there really isnt any harm when cleaning-out a block... just go ahead disconnect it all (plumbing/elect) and just feel free to blast a shot of water/vinegar mixture thru it... feel free to use a decent amount of pressure too. (exact amount, I dunno!)

#3 · (Edited)
photos STILL arent visable. only the links. LOL!

Anyways....

A SPIRAL path in the solid alum block???!!?? Gotta be to keep the fluid on a hot path long enough until it vaporizes.... Maybe also aids in preventing the fluid from 'back-flashing' toward the pump??

Additionally, this shows that there really isnt any harm when cleaning-out a block... just go ahead disconnect it all (plumbing/elect) and just feel free to blast a shot of water/vinegar mixture thru it... feel free to use a decent amount of pressure too. (exact amount, I dunno!)
I bet almost all the small cheap foggers are like this to some extent.
If we find another one in the pile as were cleaning up the shop were going to chop it in half to.
Im betting the bank that the small cheap foggers could benifit from more precisie control of fluid instead of just dumping fliud in them to get better short term results, I betch ya that the makers come up with a decent desgine for the blocks each time only to throw a cheap pump on it, it makes sense, the pumps are the most expensive part of the units from what im seeing.

#8 ·
Well, guess that explains why trying to run a fine wire through the heater block to clear a plug never worked for me! Any ideas how to unblock that puppy? Thanks for the pictures (and fogger sacrifice!), I've been tempted to do that myself, just never worked up the courage!

#9 · (Edited)
If you have a heater block that is completly clogged up and you can remove the block from the housing, I would recommend the following, 1st try compressed air, if that dosent work put some CLR ( Calcium - lime rust remover)in there for a few hours, that will dissolve just about anything if you let it set long enough, however if you use the CLR then you must COMPLETLY CLEAN OUT THE CLR after you are done becasue if you dont you will have CLR steamy fog and that stinks to high hell and will burn your eyes extremely bad.
It never fails, we hire a new guy here at the shop and they will forget to rinse out a block and they fire it up with CLR residue in there and we have to open the doors and turn the fans on and the smell wont go away for days.
Seriously after you have the block out you can try a lot of different methods to get the block unplugged.
You just dont want to run any chemicals or pressure through the pump, those things are friggin fragile, matter of fact while your messing with the block dont let the pump inside dry out, keep it wet, plug up the end of the pump.
The only thing is im not sure if the CLR will work on these smaller cheaper blocks, from what im seeing the passages are friggin tiny compared to the higher end ones like Martin / Jem or Lematries and the trick is getting the CLR where the blockage is.
If I get a chance and have a cheap clogged up fogger come our way I will try it just to see if it will work on the smaller cheaper ones.
P.S. Just dont go trying to force CLR in there with high pressure theres always the chance of it getting in your eyes, that stuff burns.

#12 ·
Got a few pics of the 1200??

I've *just* cranked up one of these 400w machines... yep. clogged already. geesh! SO tired of these crappy foggers.

Also... I *think* I just discovered access to a MONSTER fogger... came from a movie set... I'm gonna try to get access to it this weekend. ;) :D

#13 ·
Got a few pics of the 1200??

I've *just* cranked up one of these 400w machines... yep. clogged already. geesh! SO tired of these crappy foggers.

Also... I *think* I just discovered access to a MONSTER fogger... came from a movie set... I'm gonna try to get access to it this weekend. ;) :D
OHHH! If you find that the movie set fogger is to big or pricey let me know I could use another 2500 watt fogger LOL!
I thought I put a few pics of the monster fogger we made on the myspace page if I didnt let me know and I will post some for ya.

#14 ·
well... I dug thru the warehouse for two hours where this BIG fogger was *supposed* to be... found lots of cool stuff, but no luck finding the fogger. :evil:

Plan on another trip there soon tho ;) ...this time with bigger pockets! heehee

I dont remember seeing the 1200 heater pics tho...

#15 ·
Thought I sent the pics, oh well ill getem later tomorrow.
I didnt send ya the sealant yet, were supposed to be getting a paste from the same place we got the ropy stuff and the sample they sent was awsome but not really enough to play with.
Im considering getting a big big can of this new paste for high temp seal, I did some research on it and if NASA uses it then im sure it will work on any fogger we want to mess with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.