Haunt Forum banner

Halloween 2016

12K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  JustJimAZ 
#1 ·
I get no ToTs to my house. My house is the last house on the left on an unpaved dead end road with no streetlights, and NO ONE decorates on that street. It's as black as a cave.

For this reason, I have focused mostly on my Halloween party. Setting up a whole haunt for no one to see is disappointing.

For 2016, however, I am going to try something new. I am going to plant my entire front yard with corn. The $%^&*! wild rabbits ate all my grass a couple of years ago, and it's been just dirt since then, so I have the opportunity to do this unusual thing. Also no HOA, of course.

So my plan is to grow corn in the front yard and put in a small "Haunted Corn Maze" for my party guests. It'll take some work to cut and light, but much less than putting up a haunt with the various scenes and the walls, etc.

I think it will be fun, and give me the opportunity to take "inspiration" from Master Pumpkinrot for some scarecrows. I might even incorporate one or two places for someone to hide and scare people. Maybe a stalk monster.

Any thoughts?
Has anyone here ever done something like this?

See less See more
#38 ·
Thanks, Roxy! It's my first attempt at an animal skull, other than a crow skull mask I made last year. It was supposed to be a horse, but it became something other...

I too like the first one best but gotta love the teeth on the second one
Thanks! I used Allen Hopps' hot glue method for the teeth. I wanted to add some distinctiveness to each.

I am loving the scarecrows! The animal skull one is fantastic!

I've recently developed a fascination with melding animal and humanoid forms. I had a cow skull I was given several years ago that's been mostly a random piece of set dec in the haunt, mostly an afterthought. But this past season I rehabbed an old prop from a friend using the cow skull as the centerpiece around which the rehab was centered. Now I want more animal skulls! :D

I'll be watching to see how your haunt/maze progresses! Happy haunting!
Thank you Rob. I don't know how it is in other states, but in the Phoenix area, it's fairly easy to find a little flea market with someone selling skulls. Coyote, horse, cow, rat, gopher, I even bought a bear skull at one, but it has no teeth. They do add something to the atmosphere, that's for sure.
Spirit sells a horse skull mask and hood.

I'm getting worried about the corn. Only a little of what I first planted has gotten anywhere. I replanted, and nothing at all seems to have come of it. It looks like birds are digging up the seeds.

I tried sprouting some Goliath corn indoors but none sprouted. So now I have a bunch of little plastic cups all over the yard, trying to protect the seeds from the birds until they can sprout and get going. Trouble is, even if it works, I'm going to have a heck of a time getting the height I want by The Night of Nights.

I happen to know that on the original set of Planet of the Apes they got the corn to grow 6 feet tall in record time by watering it and fertilizing like crazy. I'll do my best.

Now I have a backup story that includes a destroyed corn field and scarecrows, but I would prefer to have a maze.

#37 ·
I am loving the scarecrows! The animal skull one is fantastic!

I've recently developed a fascination with melding animal and humanoid forms. I had a cow skull I was given several years ago that's been mostly a random piece of set dec in the haunt, mostly an afterthought. But this past season I rehabbed an old prop from a friend using the cow skull as the centerpiece around which the rehab was centered. Now I want more animal skulls! :D

I'll be watching to see how your haunt/maze progresses! Happy haunting!

#40 ·
I'll post some pics of the finished product. I never got anything like a maze going. I got some kind of post-apocalyptic corn and weeds scene that I jammed a bunch of scarecrows into. I only ended up using 5 scarecrows, since I was planning on using them in various parts of the maze. The maze that never happened. Since no one was actually navigating a maze, there was no need for most of the scare setup I had planned.

So, yeah, I guess growing corn in Phoenix requires completely plowing up the earth and preparing it much more than I was able to. And much more maintenance than I had time for. 10% of me wants to start again in January with the seed I have, but 90% of me is done with this little project. Maybe I can convince the owner of a real corn field to let me haunt it instead.

My friend with a commercial corn maze does not want it haunted.

#44 ·
Thanks Roxie. It does seem to be the most popular.

:jol:I agree with Roxy, it definitely has an 'end of the world' vibe. I like your scarecrows with the natural elements. I am going to go more rustic on my scarecrow next year. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Cool. I'm sure you are already a Pumpkinrot fan. If not, and if you like mine, you will love his!
The movie "Mr. Jones" is worth watching just to see his stuff on film!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.