Making Projections with Transparent Background - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Projectors
Forgot Password?

Notices

Projectors Discussion of projectors, scrim, projections, and anything else pertaining to the use of projector machines. (Not for sales or promotion)

Old 02-22-2017
Petrified

Liked 0 times in 0 posts
Default Making Projections with Transparent Background

Hi, I know I'm pretty early for 2017 Halloween, but I have a lot to do. I want to make a projection of my girls as ghosts and put it out in a haunted forest this year, but I want it to have a transparent background so you just see them.

Atmosfearfx does this and I love the projections I have from them, but this year I want my girls in it.

I have looked at all the video editing software I can find and while AfterAffects will let me save it with a transparent background it doesn't let me do it as a mov of mp4 file, just a file other video editing software can use and they all require a black background when you use the chroma key for transparency.

Has anyone ever done this successfully?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017
Frightener

Liked 42 times in 21 posts

maybe try this..
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1094437

which Atmosfearfx disc has transparent background?
Old 02-24-2017
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I'm not sure you actually want a transparent background, you probably want a black background. Here's why:

A black background will block most of the light from the projector, except where your ghost is located. This will help keep your environment dark, making the projected effect more realistic.

A light background will allow the light through, illuminating the area, which is probably not desirable.

A "transparent" background would indicate that you want to overlay the video on top of something else, allowing that background to be visible instead. You'd typically do in the video editor (or something like Adobe After Effects), but you wouldn't want to save it with a transparent background. Unless you were doing something really weird

Hope this helps.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017
Lunatic

Liked 4 times in 3 posts

Try different materials for a screen BEFORE you get to the holiday.
I think you may find that using scrim material, like that used in the theater, will give you the best result, but for it to work, you would need to have a light source behind the scrim that illuminates the woods.
For a different effect, you also might try using sheets of the plastic used by dry cleaners to project your image on. It's very light in weight and thickness, so it's easy to hang, and you don't end up with a big, opaque sheet or screen when the projection is off. It's light weight/flimsiness also allows it to easily move or flutter with the wind so it will give the sense or look of movement, even to a static/still image. This also helps keep it from acting like a big, solid, sail that might cause your support structure for it, to get blown over or torn down by gusts or heavy winds.
Just thoughts from the cheap seats.
Old 04-20-2017
Frightener

Liked 11 times in 5 posts

The "Happy haunting grounds" folks used screen porch screen. I've been looking at the wide rolls used around pool areas in Florida.
Old 04-20-2017
Frightener

I tried mosquito net like for a bedroom and it was too thin. The image did not show up well enough except at certain snglrs.
Old 04-24-2017
Frightener

I have no connection with these people but I have been looking for screen in such large sizes and low prices for years. Here it is, The biggest is 9 feet wide by 16 feet long. In the larger, not "no see-ums" mesh. Should be perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fibergla...-/272519703844