Hairazor's 2017 Voo Doo Box - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > HauntForum.com > New! 2017 $20 Prop Challenge
Forgot Password?

Notices

New! 2017 $20 Prop Challenge Do you think you can make a great prop for under $20? Then join in on the 2017 $20 Prop Challenge! Put your best foot forward and compete against other HauntForum members for contest bragging rights! Please see the contest rules for more info.

Old 3 Days Ago
Clean "cut"

Liked 33 times in 14 posts
Default Hairazor's 2017 Voo Doo Box

Turn a Book into a Voo Doo Box (2017 Hairazor)
Price List:
$0.25 BOOK (DISCARD FROM LIBRARY-READER'S DIGEST IS PERFECT SIZE)
$1.12 WHITE ELMER'S GLUE-2 OZ (9 OZ FOR $4.99=$.56 PER OZ)
$0.10 SARAN WRAP ABOUT 1 SQ.' (200 SQ.' FOR $1.85=$.00925)
$0.88 CRAFT PAINT-BLACK-2 OZ (8 OZ FOR $3.47=$.44 PER OZ)
$0.05 BLACK VELVETY MATERIAL 6"X4" (36"X59" AT $4.15=$.00195 PER SQ.")
$0.15 B/W COPY OF EYE (COST OF B/W COPY AT LIBRARY)
$0.40 COLOR PRINT OUT OF VOO DOO SIGN (COST OF COLOR COPY AT LIBRARY)
$0.13 HAIR SETTING TAPE ABOUT 16" (18 YD FOR $4.99=$.0077 PER ")
$0.65 CLEAR SPRAY ACRILIC 12"X7.75" (7 SQ.' FOR $6.99=$1.00 SQ'=$.00694 PER SQ.")
$0.02 WAX PAPER ABOUT 1 SQ.' (75 SQ" AT $1.59=$.02 PER SQ.')
$0.23 GLUE STICK-3/4 OF 4" (20 AT $5.99=$.30 PER STICK)
$0.16 CRAFT PAINT-2 SHADES OF ORANGE, CRIMSON TOTAL 1/4 OZ. (2 OZ AT $1.27=$.64 PER OZ)
$0.10 RHINESTONES- 2 RED SIZE 20 (24 FOR $.99=$.05 PER PIECE)
$0.08 YARN ABOUT 7 YD (364 YD AT $3.99=$.02 PER YD)
FREE STICK (FROM TREE)
$4.32 TOTAL

Tool List:
Paint brush, heavy item for weight, pencil, ruler (preferably metal or with a metal edge), box cutter or other sharp cutting tool, Drill with small size bit, covered container for the homemade mod podge, hot glue gun, scissors, plastic cloth or newspaper to protect work surface, big bucket for water, 2 paper clips

Youtube link for 56 second slideshow:

Put down a plastic cloth or newspaper to protect your work surface.

Pick a book, Reader’s Digest Condensed books are the perfect size. Take the first page or two and paper clip them to the cover then saran wrap to the inside cover and leave book open.

Mix equal parts Elmer’s Glue and water and put in the covered container. Using a paint brush, liberally Mod Podge the three outside sides of the book. Clean the brush right away so it doesn’t become useless for the next steps. Now shut the book and put the heavy object on top. Let dry overnight, if it is not bone dry the pages will tend to tear when you cut instead of getting a sharp edge.

Old 3 Days Ago
Clean "cut"

When bone dry, open the book and draw a ˝ inch border (could be larger if you wish) on all four sides of the pile of glued pages. Drill a hole in each corner of the newly drawn box to the depth you wish the compartment to be (this makes the corners easier to cut because you don’t have to try making a 90 degree turn). You can choose to cut all the way to the back cover or leave some pages in the bottom. I cut just over 1” deep.

Use some pressure to cut along the drawn line using a sharp cutting tool and the ruler as a guide. You will need to deepen the hole a bit at a time, cleaning out the trimmings as you go.

Once you get the depth you want, brush the glue solution liberally into the four inside sides of the hole, don’t worry about drips as it will dry clear. Apply another coat to the three outside sides. Mod Podge the top frame of the hole and bring down the page or two you had saran wrapped and glue it/them down. Remember, clean that paint brush right away.

Close the book and put the weight on it till dry.

Cut the page/s you glued whole neatly along the edges of the hole so you now see the compartment. (I got the basic box directions above from Pinterest, the rest of the box is my own imagination.)

Choose your color scheme. The inside of the front cover and the top page in my book were an orange so I decided to go with that and black. I painted the inside sides of the hole black not worrying if I got any on the bottom because after the paint dried I glued a piece of black velvety material to the bottom of the compartment. You could skip the material and just paint the bottom if you choose.

I painted the outside of the book black but not the dark binding part which was a deep dark green. I used some hair setting tape to block off the words on the spine and painted that area black. I had printed a sign with orange vertical words -Voo Doo -on black background which I glued on the spine after the paint had dried.
In a ventilated area, after everything had dried, I sprayed the whole outside with a clear acrylic spray. Let this step dry a couple days so it is not tacky to the touch. (There is not a lot of hands on time in this build but lots and lots of dry time.)

Now I took an eye I printed from “free eye images” on the internet, put a piece of wax paper over it and hot glued the design on the wax paper. I added rays stemming out from the top and bottom of the eye. When hardened and cooled I painted the eye design with an orange the shade of the inside of my book cover. When dry I lightly dry brushed a little bit brighter orange for depth and put a crimson dot on the end of each ray and the corners of the pupil.

Old 3 Days Ago
Clean "cut"

Next get your yarn to make a Juju doll. Different colors mean different things in Juju and you can use as many colors as you like. I had a skein of multicolored yarn and used that. Make 6 (or however many even number you want) loops of yarn about 9 or 10”. Decide where you want the head and take a piece of yarn and tie a knot around the loops. Make another set of loops about 6 to 7 “, and “tie” off each end for the arms. Below the head put ˝ the loops on each side and bring the arms up between the legs all the way to the head. Use about a 1” stick about the thickness of ˝ a pencil and push it up below the head among all the strands. This will be the body. Wrap yarn above, around and below the arms several times till you get the look of a body the thickness you want. Now cut the yarn just after the knots in the arms and legs and cut through the loops at the top for hair. You can leave the hair as is or braid it or fray the pieces for a fuzzy hair look. (I got the basic Juju directions from Pinterest.)

Last step, glue the eye on the front and add 2 red rhinestones in the center of the eye. Put your Juju in the box and you are done.

Old 3 Days Ago
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 201 times in 66 posts

I knew that yarn was going to be used for an evil purpose

This would make a nice addition to a haunted bookshelf scene as well as a voodoo scene. So many possibilities for what could go inside the book, too.
Old 3 Days Ago
Frightener

Liked 70 times in 28 posts

WTH??? You're DONE??? 10 days early and over $15 under budget??? Can I have your extra 10 days and $15? I might just make it then.

Seriously creative. Love it!
Old 3 Days Ago
Clean "cut"

OK with me ^

Of course, Roxy, the yarn is "evil". In all fairness all Juju/Voo Doo is not evil