Poster sized foam core 3 @ $1.00 each $3.00 Dollar Tree

Roll of duck tape $2.50 Harbor Freight

8 ½" x 11" Fresnel Lens $1.00 Dollar Tree

Light duty extension chord $2.00 Big Lots

Plug-In Socket Adapter $2.27 Lowes

13watt CF Light bulb warm white $3.00 Big Lots

Print out of image $.10 Wal-Mart

Total $13.87

Use the Fresnel lens as a reference for dimensions of the various foam board cuts. The bigger the original image the bigger the projected image will be. I wanted to use most of a regular sheet of copy paper so the outside or lens tube is the size of a sheet of paper (almost). The internal "Light Box" is just a little smaller than a full sheet of paper so that it can slide in and out for focus.
A round glass magnifying glass will work just fine in place of the flat Fresnel lens but the image will be dimmer. To use a round 2x glass lens over the end of the tube instead of the Fresnel lens, replace the Fresnel with a piece of foam core with a round hole just big enough for the round lens to fit. Tape or glue the lens in place. In my entry it is covered in duck tape. If I had gone to "Dollar General" I could have used black foam core instead of the white purchased at "The Dollar Tree". The black costs only $.25 more per sheet and would have made a much neater and less noticeable product.
The further the Shadow Caster is from the wall the bigger the image. It easily projects an eight foot image on the wall. The limit seems to be the intensity of the light source.
An alternative use for this projector is for making cut outs with plywood. Make a copy of the desired image, project it from the Shadow Caster and trace, cut, paint.

See less See more
#3 ·
I already commented on your other thread, but I really like the effect you can get with such a simply made prop. Just goes to show you don't need "complicated" to get "cool".

#7 ·
Excellent - I really love this!! I'm going to need to get better computer speakers so I can hear you video, though, because I really want to try this technique. I have a long-ish hallway in my house with a plain door at the end that would be perfect for projections.

No disrespect you your video, of course... but I'm dissing my computer speakers BIG TIME.

#9 ·
Its ok to comment on the low audio on my video. When you can hear me you will notice how horse my voice is. I had been sick for 2 weeks.

#17 ·
I don't have editing capabilities so you get to play the "How many times does Wayne say the word simple in the video!" Game, I'm guessing 50+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.