Haunt Forum banner

My Stalkabout

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JustJimAZ 
#1 ·
The puppets that I wanted to make for our Halloween Howl (event at a Natural History Museum) didn't work, so with only a few days to go I grabbed some PVC pipe, sheets, and odds and ends and made a stalkabout. It was great fun entertaining the people in line. The head was attached to a bike helmet via a long pole so that I could turn it, and the lower arms were trash tongs so I could move my claws.

I lost track of the number of pictures taken. What was fun was listening to the comments: Is there a person in there? Are they are stilts? If they're on stilts--why are they wearing crocks? Are they really 9 feet tall? Are there two people in there?

The weirdest was a woman who came over and started touching it. She ran her hand down the upper arm, and then was rubbing my arm through the cloth. I let that go for a few minutes, then quietly said "getting a little personal there, aren't you?" whereupon she screamed and ran back into the line.

Such fun. Alas--don't really have space to store him so he'll get dismantled and the frame used for something else next year.

See less See more
#9 ·
It's good to have a "keeper" when you're wearing one. I had a sheer black panel sewn in the front but visibility was still limited. And I couldn't tell if I was going under a tree unless I could feel the costume not moving with me--and then I couldn't see what I was hitting. But it was a heckuva lot of fun and there were dozens of pictures taken. (I was challenged to do the Macarena--could do the hands but the hip work was tricky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.