Projections Coordination - Page 2 - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Projectors
Forgot Password?

Notices

Projectors Discussion of projectors, scrim, projections, and anything else pertaining to the use of projector machines. (Not for sales or promotion)

Old 02-13-2017
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchypooh View Post
Wow, I surely did and you gave me alot to think about. I'm a beginner at all this and although my son thinks I'm pretty good at picking things up in my senior years I'm a little lost with the complexity. I appreciate your ideas, especially the one without cables all over the house and yard. Would I need 5 remote control relays and 1 picaxe?
Yes, that's the idea. And one $69 MedeaWiz Sprite per projector. You could use just about any microcontroller. I'm a fan of the $3 Arduino Uno clones. The microcontroller would "push the buttons" on a $2 4-channel 433 MHz wireless remote control transmitter,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281887936735
The remote control transmitter would talk with four $2 1-channel 433 MHz wireless remote control receivers (one per projector / MedeaWiz Sprite),
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272457581684
Quote:
Could I add more projectors in the future?
In theory, yes. Each remote control transmitter would support up to four projectors. In theory, an Uno could support up to four transmitters.

Note: We wouldn't be using a relay to turn the projector on and off. We'd be using a relay to trigger the MedeaWiz Sprite (or some other triggerable media player). The Sprite would loop a 30-second black screen video until the trigger is detected.

Quote:
Would I have to use a controller program like Vixen to run on the Arduino Uno or Picaxe?
No. The microcontroller will just need very simple firmware to "push the buttons" of the remote control transmitter. We may want to look at Mike North's FourBanger so that you don't have to write firmware yourself.

Quote:
Can you direct me to a way to learn more about setting up all these components to do what I need without monopolizing all your time, as I am sure you have more to do than nursemaid a total novice. I am willing to learn but this is out of my league. Any other suggestions you can offer are very much appreciated. Thank you.
This isn't exactly a microcontroller newbie project. You'll need someone to build it and document step-by-step instructions. It'll likely require basic soldering skills.

Don't rush out and buy the parts. Let's see what other ideas folks come up with.

wbn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_AVD View Post
Maybe the following didn't mean what I thought then:
Another more low-tech idea is to dedicate a timer (e.g., $3 Arduino Uno) to each projector / Sprite.

The MedeaWiz Sprite has an I/O (Input/Output) port. The I/O port can be used to detect a switch, a PIR (Passive Infrared Sensor), ... The I/O port also supports serial communications allowing a microcontroller to control and monitor the Sprite.

By default, a Sprite loops file "000". This is typically a 30-second black screen video.

I was suggesting that a $3 Arduino Uno clone would instruct the Sprite to play the target video (e.g., "001" = singing pumpkins) through serial communications. Once the video was complete, the Sprite would resume looping the black screen video. The Uno would then delay for a period corresponding to the sum of the lengths of all the other target videos, then instruct the Sprite to play the target video again. And so on.

The projector is always projecting something, either the target video or the black screen video.

You could eliminate the Arduino Uno by creating black screen videos corresponding to the lengths of the other target videos. Each Sprite would simply loop the target video and the black screen videos. Back to my original example, assume you have three target videos of length 1, 2 and 3 minutes, respectively. You'd create black screen videos of length 1, 2 and 3 minutes, respectively. Your set-up would be,
  • Projector / Sprite #1 - Loop target video #1, black screen video #2 and black screen video #3
  • Projector / Sprite #2 - Loop target video #2, black screen video #1 and black screen video #3
  • Projector / Sprite #3 - Loop target video #3, black screen video #1 and black screen video #2

Now that I think of it, I wonder if Witchypooh's projector is capable of looping multiple files. If so, she should eliminate the Sprites. And again, this is all subject to the accuracy of the timing and is subject to skew / slip.

wbn
Old 02-13-2017
Petrified

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

I don't think long HDMI cables would be a good choice. There will be loss in the signal, and good low-loss cables can get expensive.
I do like the idea of the wireless relays to trigger the Sprites. You could also run a small wire pair out to each Sprite to trigger. I am assuming here that each pumpkin / character has a one-part dialog that you want to trigger in order.

There are ways to do multiple part dialogs - back and forth conversations.
1) you can use serial control and trigger multiple files from your controller in a sequence that you have programmed. If the baud rate is set low at 2400, I think you should be able to reach 50 feet or more wire.

2) Jon Hyers did a Christmas show for a customer where he edited in long still areas of video for each character to be "listening" while it was not talking. Basically you power on the AC power for all Sprites at the same time, and the whole conversation runs as a loop (files named 000). He said it stays in sync well for hours. (your mileage may vary)

All of the "magic" is done in the video editing so the characters take turns talking. You can take this a step further, by triggering all sprites at the same time (put all those same "magic" files on named as 001, with a black 000 file) Now it re-syncs at every trigger. You need to only run 1 wire pair outside and jumper to all Sprites. Or you could use a motion sensor to trigger them as well when a guest arrives.
Old 02-13-2017
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Thank you for the expert advice, Bill.

I get the sense Witchypooh has five independent projections... two inside her house and three in the yard. She simply wants to sequence the projections one after another.

We'll assume the Arduino-controlled HDMI switch is out for this use case.

First, we need to see if Witchypooh is willing to purchase a $69 MedeaWiz Sprite (through March 15) for each of five projectors.

Let's assume the "controller" sits in her kitchen. We need to confirm she's willing to run wires from the controller to the projectors in her house and yard. We should have her approximate the distances. I already have electrical cords and air lines running all over the place. What's a few more wires. But her situation may be different.

We can continue to pursue wireless relays, but that may be a more advanced topic.

wbn
Old 02-13-2017
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

One last point ... there are plenty of inexpensive ($1.25) 433 MHz wireless transmitters which are pin-compatible with an Arduino Uno,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112108928258
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282143034648
eliminating the need to hack a 4-channel key,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281887936735
wbn
Old 02-15-2017
Uneasy

Liked 2 times in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchypooh View Post
Dave, I would appreciate your input. I'm a rookie and can use all the help I can get. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check your PM and get back with me.
Dave