Haunt Forum banner

Need questions for my new Hauntcast segment!

7K views 68 replies 34 participants last post by  HauntCast 
#1 ·
DJChrisbaker told me the Prop Guys from the Garage of Evil are no longer doing the Letters to the Garage prop segment for Hauntcast...which still bums me out because I thought they were great and I will miss hearing them do their funny yet informative segment.

He then asked me to step in. I submitted my first segment and he approved it so I will now be doing a segment called "Ask the Dr." which fills the gap about prop building that Steve-o and Geoff left after leaving. I don't know why they left, so please don't ask me. I'll leave it to them to explain if they so desire.

Now I need your great questions for future segments, so we can keep the prop building segment alive on Hauntcast. My segment is different, I'm not the Garage guys, they left very large shoes to fill so I won't even try to emulate their style, but I still require questions from all of you to make this work. Ask away!

#9 ·
1) I want to make 3 pneumatic props for next year in a toxic theme. Trash-Can-Trauma and 2 others. Assuming Santa comes through and delivers the air compressor, what would it cost for each one for all the little parts and stuff?

2) I've seen and heard many pneumatic props that have the "ptss!" sound when they activate. Is there a way to make them sound not so pneumatically obvious?

3) I've been dreaming of programming a 3-axis skull to Van Halen's "Eruption" where the hands/arms are animated playing a guitar, vice the head (there's no lyrics, just wicked guitar licks). What gear would I need to pull that off?

#13 ·
I need to find a substance that can be applied as a liquid or at least as workable as clay to create a relief of some heads I have sculpted. It needs to dry hard, be translucent (just enough for light to shine through, don't want to see what's behind it), and be weather proof. I'm attempting the inverted bust illusion...
I was planning to post this question after Christmas when I return to prop building, but since you were asking for questions, I thought you might want to use it.
Have fun with your new segment!!

#21 ·
I've considered doing illustrated threads on the following...

How do you separate the voltages from a PC power supply?
How do you read a ohmmeter?
How do you know the connection sizes when ordering pneumatics?
How do you build a jacob's ladder?

But I've got a question of my own...

I have a box of various old vacuum tubes. I want to use them on a laboratory prop. Is there a safe way to make any of them light up or glow?

#26 ·
What is the proper and most delicate way to tell a spouse or significant other that what they are about to attempt with a prop is extremely unlikely to work the way they think it will? I don't need to know for myself, of course, but someone else may find the answer useful:D

#32 ·
techniques for making sure the spouse does not find out just how much all those little trips to Haunters Depot have really cost. :) "I swear honey they were out front just giving em away. I would never use the kids shoe money for props."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.