HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Technological Terror
Forgot Password?

Notices

Technological Terror For the discussion of items of technology such as motors, controllers, motion sensors, audio boards etc. Also to discuss how to hack commercial electronic props.

Old 6 Days Ago
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post
Default Hi-Rez Designs Video with $30 Looping Video Player & $10 Relay Decoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifideity
I'm looking to build a Containment Unit and Monster in a Box 2.0 this year so a cheaper HD media player would be awesome if one has been found that will work.
I tested the Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment: ZIB Volume 3 - Breakout Edition "zombie" video with a $30 Unbranded / Generic Looping Video Player,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262533084373
and my $10 Wicked Stone Video Player Controller / 8-Channel Relay Decoder,
http://www.wickedstone.com/Halloween...ay_decoder.htm
Note: With a looping video player, we only enable the Wicked Stone Relay Decoder functionality (no need for a Video Player Controller).

Everything worked flawlessly. The "zombie" video starts on power-up and loops seamlessly.

I also tested the "zombie" video with a $20 Unbranded / Generic Looping Video Player,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172332000590
The behavior was identical with one exception ... the $20 video player could not be configured to play the audio via the A/V port with 1080p / 60 Hz video via the HDMI port. This is needed in order to split off and connect the right audio channel (with the DTMF tones) to the relay decoder.

Note: You could configure the $20 video player to play both audio and video via the A/V port.

Both video players (as well as the MedeaWiz Sprite) use the Boxchip F10 chipset. The $30 looping video player firmware,
TVD2.0 2014-10-11
is more up to date than the $20 looping video player firmware,
TVD2.OSD_20131231
This may account for the difference. I'll go in search of a $20 looping video player with the ability to play audio via the A/V port with HDMI video.

Note: A looping video player is not suitable for props: involving a "trigger" (e.g., switch or motion sensor); nor props involving multiple video players requiring coordination / synchronization (e.g., Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment: ZIB Volume 3 - Breakout Edition "analysis" videos and "zombie" video).

Make sure you check out the Monster Guts Monster-In-A-Box 2.0 - Build Tutorial,
http://www.monsterguts.com/forum/sho...Build-Tutorial
wbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbeernut
Hi Scifideity,

Skim through my updated Wicked Stone Video Player Controller / Relay Decoder page,
http://wickedstone.com/Halloween/Html/relay_decoder.htm
Please note the three different configurations.

I want to be careful not to overload the term "trigger".

The Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment: ZIB Volume 3 - Breakout Edition includes the "zombie" video and optionally a pair of "analysis" videos. You need one video player for the "zombie" video and a second video player for the "analysis" videos. You need some means of coordinating the two video players. I'm referring to this as a video player controller. The video player controller may "trigger" the video players using a relay or control / monitor the video players through bi-directional serial communications. This requires triggerable (aka, triggering, triggered, ...) video players.

Note: A switch or motion sensor may be used to "trigger" the video player controller. The video player controller, in turn, triggers the video players.

I haven't found a cheaper commercially-available triggerable media player than the MedeaWiz Sprite.

I've demonstrated this using the Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment videos, a pair of MedeaWiz Sprite video players and my $10 Wicked Stone Video Player Controller / Relay Decoder,
http://wickedstone.com/Halloween/Html/ZCU.htm
Note: The video player doesn't directly trigger anything. The audio channel of the video player containing the DTMF tones is connected to the relay decoder. It's the relay decoder which detects the DTMF tones and turns the relays on and off. The video player can't distinguish DTMF tones from music and sound effects.

The question becomes ... do you need a triggerable video player?

Without the "analysis" videos, the Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment: ZIB Volume 3 - Breakout Edition requires one video player. There's no need for a video player controller. I believe the Hi-Rez Designs Monster In-A-Box 2.0 - Deluxe Edition requires one video player. The only reason you'd need a triggerable video player is if you wanted to trigger the video player using a switch or motion sensor. If you're willing to simply loop the "zombie" and "monster" video, you should be able to get by with an eBay $20 looping video player,
I have one of these looping video players packed away, however, I haven't tested it with the Hi-Rez Designs Zombie Containment: ZIB Volume 3 - Breakout Edition "zombie" video and my Wicked Stone Relay Decoder.

Mike North's Four Banger and OctoBanger use different Arduino firmware than my Video Player Controller / Relay Decoder. This post probably doesn't belong in this "Four Channel Prop Controller Using Arduino (FourBanger)" thread, however, ...

The OctoBanger (Four Banger) can be used to synch up to eight (four) relays with a soundtrack containing DTMF tones in the left or right audio channel without the need for a relay decoder. I have described how to accomplish this near the bottom of my Wicked Stone Video Player Controller / Relay Decoder page (just prior to Appendix A).

wbn
Old 5 Days Ago
Fearless

Liked 16 times in 12 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbeernut View Post
I also tested the "zombie" video with a $20 Unbranded / Generic Looping Video Player,
The behavior was identical with one exception ... the $20 video player could not be configured to play the audio via the A/V port with 1080p / 60 Hz video via the HDMI port. This is needed in order to split off and connect the right audio channel (with the DTMF tones) to the relay decoder.
If you were using a TV for the display, I guess you could bring the audio out of the TV's headphone socket, split it off to the decoder there and send the audio track to a set of powered speakers.
Old 5 Days Ago
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Excellent suggestion, David! In fact, I tried that. I tried all three settings,
http://www.wickedstone.com/Halloween...ample%203B.jpg
At best, the left and right audio channels were "mixed". Both the left and right audio channels contained the DTMF tones. I don't think the MT8870 DTMF decoder module can reliably extract the DTMF tones in that situation.

There was a setting to play only the left audio channel or the right audio channel, however, we really need both.

I think I've found a $20 looping video player which will allow us to configure analog audio via the A/V output and HDMI_1080P_60HZ via the HDMI port. I'm just waiting to hear back from our neighbors in China.

wbn
Old 5 Days Ago
Fearless

I already had one of the cheaper ones ($20 one in your earlier post) on the way, but will probably only use it for running a video loop on a TV. Good to know the limitations in advance though.

Is there much of a gap at the loop point and does the OSD show up each time?
Old 5 Days Ago
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_AVD View Post
Is there much of a gap at the loop point
Best I can tell, it's less than a second. I can try to get you a more accurate number. The Hi-Rez Designs "zombie" video has 3 seconds of black screen at the beginning and 12 seconds of black screen at the end. It's kind of hard to gauge when the video ends and begins.

Quote:
does the OSD show up each time?
No. Completely seamless. For $20, you won't be disappointed.

Please let us know if your $20 video player supports the ability to play audio via the A/V port with HDMI video. Your video player may have more up to date firmware than the one I have. I'll let everyone know if I find a $20 video player that supports the ability to play audio via the A/V port with HDMI video.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

wbn
Old 5 Days Ago
Fearless

A friend of mine is using the new Hi-Rez Designs monster in a box video, but is playing it on a Raspberry pi running the Falcon Player (FPP) software.

Instead of using the DTMF tones, he created an XLights sequence and hung a cheap relay PCB off the pi's GPIO pins. It works a treat. The same sequence can control anything you want; solenoids, LEDs, pixels, etc.

I'll let you know about the cheap video player once it arrives in a couple of weeks time.
Old 5 Days Ago
Uneasy

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Yup, all kinds of possibilities. At the bottom of my how-to,
http://www.wickedstone.com/Halloween...ay_decoder.htm
I demonstrate how to leverage the DTMF tones in the right audio channel of a Hi-Rez Designs video to "configure" $10 in Arduino parts using the most excellent (free) OctoBanger. You can control up to eight outputs (including the standard solenoid valves, light and air cannon / water sprayer). Once the OctoBanger is configured, there's no need for the DTMF tones.

wbn
Old 5 Days Ago
Fearless

My apologies for hijacking your thread with the FPP mention.

I do like the value for money that your DTMF solution provides.