Haunt Forum banner

Does anyone have a facebook page for their home haunt?

10K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  remylass 
#1 ·
Sometimes i feel dumb that i actually have one. Or that my friends & family might think i'm being too over the top or nerdy haha ( i don't care) I know i'm not running a pro haunt but it's still cool to update on your build and upload pics and at the same time promote it with local people in your town. More trick or treaters stopping by. Also does anyone run their home haunt more than just Halloween night? I was also thinking of doing this... Not sure if it would work or if i could get the help/actors i would need for each time. Also not sure what neighbors would think. I know home haunts (mine included) can get pretty nice but most people don't see it as an attraction to visit. You know?

On another note: I was thinking about the title to my haunt. It's "Laughing in the dark". Do you guy's think thats a good name? I mean i use clowns but i don't want it to be all about clowns. In fact i might decide one year to not even have clowns.. So i'm not sure how that name would still work.. I guess i could always still have evil laughter playing in the dark tunnel parts people walk through. We do themed out rooms. My front porch is one... then you enter a dark tunnel then another themed out room (my shed) then a dark tunnel then another room (my one car garage) then a exit tunnel. So it's not too small but it's using my entire home. Front yard and back yard.

#5 ·
BTW: Not trying to be mean, just being honest. In my opinion, Laughing in the dark doesn't sound really scary to me, it almost sounds like the title to a self help book. As a matter of fact, laughing in the dark is the title of a few biographies, mostly of some tragedy they over came or some hard life they survived, and at least one movie I know of. You can google "laughing in the dark" to see some of the books and movies with the same name. Like I said, that is just my opinion. If you really love it and have your heart set on it, then use it. But, if fear is what you want people to feel, then you need a name that conveys that. Also, if you do different themes every year, then you need a name that can be flexible and work with whatever you chooser to do. Laughter in the dark confines you to always having some sort of laughter in the dark scene. How about something like ( the name of your town) house of horrors, or maybe something simple like " The Terror House". Names like this don't give the impression of any certain theme, allowing you the flexibility to create whatever scenes you wish.

#9 · (Edited)
Taken with a grain of salt and i'll go a bit further and say i agree haha.
Me and my wife were just brainstorming last night about the name and it has very limited flexibility. It works well with the clown theme but i don't wanna use the same theme every year. I'd also like a name that i can stick with for the long haul and use when i reach my goal of becoming a pro haunt attraction. We've had some bad luck with names haha. Our first name for last year's haunt was actually called "Trick or terror". But we then found out it's a haunt in Colorado. So we haven't even used the name laughing in the dark yet other than for the facebook page we created to update our friends and fellow haunters on our builds, idea's and plans etc. *UPDATE* Our haunt is now called
"LURKING IN THE DARK".. A bit more creepy. A bit more flexible.

#6 ·
Havasupai Horrors

2 years ago I built a Facebook page for my haunt, then used it in a PR campaign, acting like the Facebook page was for a legitimate facility. I posted things about the inmates, the gift shop, accidental toxic spills, and such. I then added the new doctor that showed up, increased inmate inoculations, increased power demand, and the mystery of missing inmates.

About a month prior to Halloween, the updates got darker and more gruesome. The facility lost power, strange smells were coming from the medical wing, the facility was locked and isolated from the outside, staff and inmates banded together for safety.

The posts from the normal peppy PR staff girl became desperate plea's for help, sending messages out on her phone as the battery was slowly dieing. Eventually, the last post on Halloween eve with the last charge of battery was, "...theyre coming..."

It also allows me to post photos, which I added one of "someone that snuck into the facility and got a picture of the elusive doctor." That person was never heard from again.

Then after Halloween, I posted videos and pictures of the haunt and all it's goodness.

If I had thought faster, I would have put a sign in front of my haunt that said, "Check in to Facebook with your smart phone!". I created a location in Facebook Places with the title of my haunt. So when folks are standing in line and want to check in, my haunt name will pop up. Since I was walking around working the crowd, if I saw someone with their smart phone out, I'd quickly approach them and have them check in on Facebook.

One lady said it was a new phone and she didn't have the Facebook app. By the time she got to the front of the line, she had downloaded the app, signed in, and checked into my haunt location.

#7 ·
Roxy: Your link thread seems to have more to do with web sites vice Facebook pages, although both are valuable tools.

Jessjaj: Agree with the naming convention. With an appropriate creepy sign made, it might work for clowns, but not much else.

I ran into the same problem...the last few years I ran the haunt from my house and the name was tied to the area I was in. Since I moved to a different location for the 2011 season, my prior name didn't work and I had to come up with a new one. And since I will be moving this summer again, my recent name won't work for 2012. I really need to get a simple one that works for all themes and all places... "Don's Scary Stuff", or something. :)

#12 ·
Ohhh I have a face book page for the farm in genral never though about doing one for the haunt. I like what Warrent did. Now if only I could setal on a theme instead of the throwing things together in september.

#16 · (Edited)
Hauntforum folks i need some facebook friends!

I have had a lot of you give me some good advice and i really enjoy coming here to the forum. Without taking that away of course, i was wondering if any of you were on facebook? I have hauntforum on facebook but if any of you fellow haunt/halloween enthusiasts would care to add another likeminded friend you can add me! hit me up at http://www.facebook.com/FrankWallace311 or at
http://www.facebook.com/lurkinginthedarkhauntedhouse

A little about me:
I am 30 years old from a small IL town about 30 minutes from downtown St.louis, MO. I am married and have 3 kids. Dylan, 8. Madison, 7 and Nevaeh 3. Me and my wife are huge haunt & Halloween fanatics and every year on Halloween we turn our 3 bedroom house and our frontyard/backyard/garage into an all out fully detailed home haunt. We don't charge any admission as this is only our 2nd year and we rather take canned good donations or any money would go to local food pantries & United Way. Last year we did a haunt but it was rather small. This year we went to Transworld 2012 in our own local area of St.louis, MO and decided since our main goal is to eventually become a pro haunt to make our home haunt HUGE this year! Some of the things we will be doing in this years haunt is : 6 themed out fully detailed rooms. All connected to a dark tunnels/pathways leading to the next scene. Some scenes/rooms include a dot room, psycho circus, dracula's dominion, zombie graveyard, evil pumpkin people/scarecrow barn of terror & a few others. Me and my wife are both artistic and love to draw,sketch,sculpt and we are considered kinda strange by our local friends who think it's "wierd" to talk about or work on Halloween stuff anytime other than October haha.
Sorry to drag this out. I'll stop. Anyway thought i would introduce myself and i look forward to sharing many thoughts, conversations and idea's here on the forum and now maybe even on facebook!! Take care..
-Frank W. - aka everydayishalloween311

#18 ·
https://www.facebook.com/pages/STOLLOWEEN/288961974226

I started one a few years ago for my website for many reasons but the best thing is that it became a place for people to ask questions about papier mache and showcase their work, over the years the page has seen a lot of talented work, hosted several contests and answered a lot of questions.

#26 ·
Front Yard Fright is on Facebook! Even though we aren't operating our attraction for the time being, we still have our Facebook page in order to keep others interested and up to date on any news or announcements. The page is also a great way to keep your family/friends/helpers up to date as to when you need help doing things such as painting/building or acting.

We've had great success with it in the past and highly recommend it!

Also, as far as a name, I think it's important to keep your name somewhat generic as to not limit you to theme wise. As you had mentioned, having a clown esque name will give the vibe that clowns will be there every year. Also, avoid changing your name or having several names for your haunt. Naming your haunt can be quite hard, especially with several names already being taken. However, once you find a name that is unique and fitting to your display, it helps set you apart from every "Mansion of Terror" and "Yard of Doom" around.

:winkin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.