Conjuring Madame Leota - Page 3 - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 01-01-2009
Scared Silly

Liked 102 times in 29 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontgeek View Post
Another choice for the ball itself is a large plastic or glass globe used for light fixtures. Very popular in the 60's & 70'sm, they are available in many sizes and finishes. they already have a protruding neck with a lip for locking them down. This gives you the opportunity to choose the dimension and style without paying big bucks to butcher someone else's prop.
Good point. I got a killer deal on the floor model spirit ball, and I still got an animated witch head out of it, plus I didn't have to build my own base for the ball....so I'm pretty happy with the way things worked out.

Old 01-05-2009
Lunatic

Liked 23 times in 7 posts

Thanks for the detailed behind the scenes description. Things like this completely elude me, and I was able to easily understand how you did it.
Old 02-14-2009
Frightener

Liked 2 times in 1 post

Awesome how to Mr. Chicken! That prop is absolutely incredible

I don't know if this should be a seperate thread or not but I'll post it here first anyway...

I have a spirit globe but I really don't want to tear it apart which got me thinking of other ideas similar to this. I youtubed a video of Madame Leota from the Haunted Mansion and realized that the same effect could be done by using a half torso illusion with a live actor (which I've already made) but changing it up by just using the person's head. I could then create my own soundtrack and have the person lip synch to the words to make people think that its just a prop and then freak them out by suddenly staring right at them and quckly turning back or something.

I'm just stuck at what I should be using for the globe itself. It definetely has to be bigger than one of those spirit globe props or a light fixture like fontgeek mentioned up above. Also the person's face should be lit up to get that ghost effect but it can't be blinding the actor and it can't be too bright or it will ruin the overall effect by reflecting off of the mirrors. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Could I get a copy of the link if it is still available? You did a great job on it! I got one of the spirit ball last year on clearence for $12.50.

Thanks Rick
Old 02-26-2009
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chicken View Post
So yeah, that's what I did. If I didn't explain anything clearly enough, I'm happy to explanify.
I'm a total After Effects N00b. Are there any suggestions you would have on how to create a similar effect? Like what did you use to create the green swirl, give the image some stabilization, etc.
Old 02-26-2009
Scared Silly

Well, let's see if I can remember what I did...

The green swirl:
I followed a tutorial online to make a starburst in photoshop (google that and you should come up with it)... it basically looked like this:*. It was black and white.
Then I imported that into AE, futzed with the colors to get the green, and applied one of the ripple effects to it to get it to swirl out. I made an identical rippling starburst at 50% opacity (or I may have changed the transfer mode to screen), but tweaked the ripple effect so that it was basically reversed (ie: still appears to ripple outward, but the ripples themselves are curved the opposite direction).
Finally, I made a subtract mask in the shape of Leota's head (which was on the layer below the green(s)), and a circular add mask (heavily feathered) around the whole thing, making sure no green reached the edges.

Leota's stabilization was a bit more trial and error. I used the motion tracking feature in AE (that's AE 7-- if you have AE CS4, it's in a separate application) to lock onto two or three points on her face (corners and areas of stark contrast tend to work best), then applied that tracking data as stabilization to the layer.

I think that's about all I did (aside from scaling it down appropriately, which took I lot of math that I've since forgotten). Again, if I need to clear something up, let me know. I'm happy to help.
Old 07-12-2009
Uneasy

Liked 2 times in 2 posts
Default That darn silver paint..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chicken View Post
Bobzilla: here's how you fix the double image problem
The spirit ball is spray painted with a bunch of silver paint to make it look more magical, I guess. Take some paint thinner (actually, I had to use "thinner for metalizer," because regular paint thinner wasn't strong enough)
Hope that helps.
Hey Mr. Chicken...I have been working on my Madame Leota this weekend. Got all the guts taken apart but I can't seem to get the silver off the inside of the ball easily. I tried paint thinner and mineral spirits. What was the actual stuff you used, do you recall? Did it come right off with paper towels or did you have to scrub quite a bit. It seems to be coming off with paint thinner but I really have to scrub and scrub...was curious if you used something stronger. Hadn't ever heard of thinner for metalizer before.
Old 07-12-2009
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked 70 times in 29 posts

Thanks for the how to Mr. Chicken. You did an excellent job! Did you try this with the Torpedo projector or with a higher quality projector? Also was that the big crystal ball or the little one? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009
Scared Silly

Joisey, thanks! It's the big crystal ball. I used a nicer, but older, projector that I borrowed from a friend.

Jjm, it's called Thinner for Metalizer by Model Master. Probably from a hobby shop. Be careful with it though, you only need a little bit on a cloth to wipe the paint off. Too much and it eats away at the plastic and makes it worse. If the stuff you have is working, stick with it.
Old 07-13-2009
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty

Liked 26 times in 6 posts

I wonder if goof off would work. Or do you suppose it would eat at the plastic and blur it?