Conjuring Madame Leota - Page 4 - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 07-13-2009
Scared Silly

Liked 102 times in 29 posts

I've never heard of that DL. You could always do a test where no one will see it.

Remember that you don't need to clean the paint off the back of the ball unless you're going to try the rear projection method. Only the paint on the front will make any difference.

Old 07-13-2009
Uneasy

Liked 2 times in 2 posts

I'll try a few things and post back my results. Paint thinner works, but as I said it takes some HARD scrubbing with paper towels (thankfully, as Mr. Chicken states, you only need to do half the globe).

Got to be careful not to scratch the surface too. I might try and keep my eyes open for a glass ball - not sure if one could find one that large though - maybe a hanging lamp fixture perhaps?
Old 07-13-2009
Uneasy

Liked 2 times in 2 posts
Default Success!

Ok, so call me stupid, daring, or both, but I went into the garage and started to use the paint thinner to remove the silver paint. The more and more I worked (and the more my arm ached) the more daring I became (usually a bad thing). So I saw a can of furniture stripper (gel kind) on the shelf and decided to try it on an inconspicuous place. No sooner than I dabbed it on and the paint was gone to paint heaven. I wiped it off and rinsed it really well to see if it would affect the plastic at all. Seemed to be good so I tried using an old paintbrush to paint on the stripper and then remove the excess with paper towels. Problem seemed to be that it would remove the paint, but then it would sort of smear it back onto the plastic. So, since you need to use mineral spirits to clean up after using this stripper, I poured a decent amount of stripper in a metal can, added a bit of mineral spirits to make it a bit more runny and poured it into the globe. I rotated the globe around and around and the paint just disappeared. Poured the excess into a storage container for proper disposal later and then used some paper towels to clean the remaining residue. I rinsed it VERY VERY well numerous times. I now have a clean crystal ball with no silver paint.

Unfortunately (I saw this going into it) there were a decent number of scratches and swirl marks on the ball to begin with. It isn't terrible, but annoying and catches some light from the projector. I'm going to see if there is an effective way to remove/reduce the appearance of these scratches. If not, it still looks really cool - neighbor kids will love it no matter what, I'm sure.

So, I'm just stating what I did to remove the paint. I'm not recommending that anyone does this, nor am I recommending that this is the best thing to do (safety-wise). I don't want to get any emails stating they tried this and now they have a hole in their globe because something ate through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009
Scared Silly

Cool Jared! I'm so happy someone found another way to do it!
Please post pics as your project progresses
Old 07-21-2009
Lunatic

Liked 80 times in 18 posts

The key to removing paint from plastic without destroying it is to use a slow evaporating thinner. Mineral spirits is very slow but very safe, thats plain ol paint thinner. Lacquer thinner is too strong and dries to fast, same with acetone. You can gin up paint thinner with very small amounts of denatured alcohol or very small amounts of acetone.

Mr. Chicken used a solvent I use for painting models. It is a slower version of enamel reducer. Fast drying solvent make metallic paint come out powdery as it dries before it hits the surface when airbrushing, the tetstor's metal paint thinner is slower so the paint can land on the surface, settle flat, and then dry.

It might be worth your while to buy a bottle at the hobby store than to buy two crystal balls.

How-To BlogMy HauntEtsy
Old 08-31-2009
Fearless

Liked 1 time in 1 post

The video is wonderful! How did you down load it from the internet? I can't seem to figure it out and would love to do this in our haunt this year. We are having a Creepy circus/Funhouse them and would love to have a fortune teller. Thanks, Phyllis
Old 08-31-2009
Scared Silly

Thanks for that info, DC! I learned something new!

Doggieshop, honestly, I don't remember where or how I got the original footage. If you'd like to use my edited version (as seen in the videos), shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you the download link.
Old 09-08-2009
Frightened

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

That is friggin awesome. I've seen the video before but never the how-to. Blogged about ya here: http://www.ravensbarrow.com/2009/09/...um-happenings/
Old 09-08-2009
Scared Silly

Thanks CastleN!
Old 09-22-2009
Petrified

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Many thanks for the post and the details on your work!!!! I did my best to replicate and would up re-doing the entire audio track to get more accurate lip-synch, and dropped the music, but kept the sound effects (bell, music beyond, tamborine, etc.)

Here is a link to my beta test (in a partially lit room). Will place in a more suitable location for Halloween night.