HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > HauntForum.com > New! 2017 $20 Prop Challenge
Forgot Password?

Notices

New! 2017 $20 Prop Challenge Do you think you can make a great prop for under $20? Then join in on the 2017 $20 Prop Challenge! Put your best foot forward and compete against other HauntForum members for a HauntForum trophies! Please see the contest rules for more info.

Old 6 Days Ago
Desensitized

Liked 3 times in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel 27 View Post
It feels so great to be back in action! I've got my idea and already bought a couple of items in the Post Easter isle. This contest could not have come at a more perfect time! My birth mom never throws anything away so there's a wealth of freebie items in her house. The only thing she doesn't have is wire hangers; that will be the next thing on my list to scrounge for!

Oh and welcome back Stolloween!
Ask at thrift stores. Many around here will just give them away, others will charge .25 - $1 for a large bundle.
Old 6 Days Ago
Desensitized

Liked 3 times in 1 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntiholik View Post
Hmmm. The cheapest pair of jeans that I can buy are $0.99 at Goodwill so go with that price.
Would the same price apply to sheets as well? We are lucky to have a thrift store where just about everything is .25, while others charge $1-2 for sheets.
Old 6 Days Ago
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 198 times in 64 posts

This might help with trying to assign a dollar figure for thrift store goods. These are guides from the Salvation Army and Goodwill that can be used for determining value of goods donated for tax purposes. In our area, we see things more on the high side of each range, which is what comes of living in Maryland.

Both guides list sheets at $2 at the low end of the range, so that's likely the more common price people will pay.

https://satruck.org/Home/DonationValueGuide

https://goodwillnne.org/donate/donation-value-guide/

In the past, Zombie-F has said to use the price you paid when you bought the item at a thrift store. If it's been a while and you don't know, or you want to determine what might be more common no matter where people live, then the guides can help you make an estimate. Otherwise, Haunti can clarify when she gets back from DC.

Personally, I tend to go a little higher on item cost estimates when I develop a prop budget. That way, if I still come in under budget, I know I'm good
Old 1 Day Ago
Batty Beautiful

Liked 10 times in 8 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyborden View Post
Ask at thrift stores. Many around here will just give them away, others will charge .25 - $1 for a large bundle.
Thanks Lizzy! I found a way around the wire hangers.
I can't reveal that yet, but i did find something that i needed and was so happy to see that they were the color of the day so I got them for half off.