Cast items in Paper Mache Clay - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 07-12-2011
Frightener

Liked 40 times in 8 posts
Default Cast items in Paper Mache Clay

Seems there are basically two camps of DIY Haunters. The clay and cast/mold people and the paper mache people. Everyone is always talking about casting items in latex, or plaster, or silicone. You usually have to order the materials online and pay for shipping, or pay through the nose for a very small amount of materials from a local craft store.

Did you know that you can do the same thing with paper mache?

Specifically paper mache clay. I haven't reinvented the wheel here, I'm just using techniques artist in other areas have been doing for years. I bet there are people on this board that already know how to cast in paper mache clay, but I have not seen anyone mention it anywhere on the boards or show examples.

I'm still playing with the technique at the moment, but I've been very pleased with the results I've seen so far. Plus, this comes right on the heals of MacabreRob's thread on creating Moldable Silicone on the Cheap (Oogoo) . The two items go hand in hand. You can make molds out of Ooogoo, and cast with the PM clay.

I am using a clay recipe from PM artist Jonni Good. She makes wonderful PM art pieces. Granted they are a little tame for haunt use, but her techniques translate directly to what we do. She is a great resource to check out. While you are checking out Jonni's recipe and techniques, pop on over to Dan Reeder the Monster Man's site for more great PM techniques.

I will update this post with more info and a proper How-To if there is enough interest, although you smart people could probably figure it all out by just reading the links in this post and playing with the material.

In the meantime, here is a video of a couple items I cast in PM clay. The drying time for these items was accelerated dramatically by using a microwave to dry the pieces in two minutes intervals. The small white skull only took 15 minutes to mold, dry, and demould. That's 15 minutes for a wad of gluey paper pulp to dry completely. That's faster than latex.

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011
Frightener

Liked 49 times in 14 posts

Jaybo,
Im making a bunch of medusa sconces this season and a few other archetectural things and I may use paper mache clay to do it, looks like they finish very well. Thanks for the info.
Ive been interested in this for a while since I saw these works at Scarborough Faire
http://www.shatterdvisages.com/
Old 07-12-2011
Director of Ambiance

Liked 20 times in 5 posts

Great link Allen.... although it makes me really want a SOLAR OVEN!!! I'm really liking this technique, and am adoring the testing stages!
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver

Liked 65 times in 24 posts

Thanks for all the great info!
Old 07-13-2011
Uneasy

Liked 3 times in 1 post

Jaybo,

I'm also a big fan of Jonni and Dan Reeder. Stolloween is also a great resource, particularly for haunt-specific paper mache.

Your masks/skulls look great.

I'm curious about your casting + microwave experience. What are you making your mold's from? Oogoo? Plaster? something else?

Thanks.

-- Beth
Old 07-13-2011
Something Wicked

Liked 43 times in 9 posts

Great idea, thanks for taking the time to point this out! I've been visiting JG's Ultimate Paper Mache site over the last few months, but have yet to try her paper clay recipe. Do you use the linseed oil in the recipe or go without?

Last edited by Sawtooth Jack; 07-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2011
Frightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaskmaker View Post
Jaybo,

I'm also a big fan of Jonni and Dan Reeder. Stolloween is also a great resource, particularly for haunt-specific paper mache.

Your masks/skulls look great.

I'm curious about your casting + microwave experience. What are you making your mold's from? Oogoo? Plaster? something else?

Thanks.

-- Beth
Right now I haven't created a proper mold. I have just used a few plastic skulls I had sitting around to test the clay. I cut the skull open and pressed the clay inside. I then placed the whole thing in the microwave for two minutes at a time. I would let the item cool for a bit, and test the firmness of the clay and condition of my impromptu mold. I kept doing this until the clay was firm enough to demold. I then flexed the plastic mold and removed the cast piece. It was still somewhat clammy on the front, so I put the piece in for one last two minute run. Took about 8 minutes of microwave time.

I plan on trying to create some molds using Oogoo next. I'll update the thread with my results.
Old 07-14-2011
Frightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth Jack View Post
Great idea, thanks for taking the time to point this out! I've been visiting JG's Ultimate Paper Mache site over the last few months, but have yet to try her paper clay recipe. Do you use the linseed oil in the recipe or go without?
Did not use any linseed oil, and the clay was fine. The only change i would make is probably add a little bleach and salt to the water to help deter mold. That may not be necessary, I just get a little paranoid of mold.
Old 07-14-2011
Director of Ambiance

Liked 20 times in 5 posts

Didn't our microwave owners manual say something about "don't put plastic skulls in the microwave?" Oh, maybe that was tin foil, sorry... continue

:muttering: damn men in my kitchen, microwaving skulls. *Stay away from my expensive pots and pans!!!*
Old 07-14-2011
Frightener

Liked 49 times in 14 posts

Dixie, you sound like my wife LOL. If you want help making a silicone mold Jaybo, just set a time and come on over. My shop is open to you.