Haunt Forum banner

Bottomless Pit

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Headless 
#1 ·
I have seen some of the threads here mention gila film for making the two way mirrors needed for a bottomless pit. I have found the same online but as window treatment and was wondering how it was used for the two way application. Anyone know? Is it cheaper than trying to buy a two way mirror? I want a fairly large opening- 18 to 24 inches wide by 5 feet or so.

#2 ·
Hi! Just to let you know I made my bottomless pit using automotive mirror tint. I believe it's 20% the highest reflective value. It comes in different widths and lengths. I've been using it for all kinds of effects now. Just a tip it works better on actual glass, the first time around I used plexi-glass, although I'm glad I did considering the things kids tried to throw down it. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
jaege. I have built 3 bottomless pits. I used the plexiglass and gila film for all three and they looked great. Here is a pic of my latest one using a glass mirror on the bottom and plexiglass with mirrored tint film on the top piece.

I liked the plexiglass for the very reasons stated. Weight and durability. It is a lot cheaper than buying a piece of one way mirror. They are so very expensive. I bought mine at Home Depot. A package of mirror tint is about $25 but I change my film each year, so it lasts me about 3 or 4 yrs.

#10 ·
Just doing a bit of research on the bottomless pit and a thought occurred to me - what would it look like with two opposing walls done in a mirrored finish as well? Has anyone seen this done? Just wondered if it would result in a larger looking hole?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.