Haunt Forum banner

Motion Sensor / Power Strip .. Hack

112K views 65 replies 33 participants last post by  fytclub 
#1 · (Edited)
OK folks....many of you have asked me for a how-to on my MOTION SENSOR / POWER STRIP hack...so here it is...
PLEASE LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT ELECTRICITY....about enough to really get myself in trouble, I'm not even that sure why this thing works so well. So please be very careful and ask a real electrician to help you. I don't want anyone to fry the pizz out of themselves or the tots that show up at your haunts. PLEASE BE CAREFUL ! ! !

Got all of this at Home Depot. Cost about $35.

I like to use this type of power strip because it's metal and easy to take apart and put back together. Also has surge protection, an on/off switch, and power on light

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not going to give you a blow by blow verbal description of this wiring, but I will tell you that all the wiring set-up is in the directions that came with the motion sensor.
The bottom line is that you are going to splice in a new type of switch (which is the motion sensor) into the on/off power strip switch. In the end both switches will work.

Make room for the sensor by taking out the last receptacle

#3 ·

I use 3M reflective decal material to seal the front and back of the holes after I take out the receptacle. I know most people do not have the material so you will just have to figure that out on your own. (Maybe stop by a sign shop and ask nicely for a few scraps of vinyl decal material)

I needed this large washer to hold the sensor securely on the strip

#6 · (Edited)

This is the setting that I use on all my power strips...The "test" mode turns the strip on for 7 seconds.

After you make all your splices, set the sensor and test the strip. (you can see the both power on lights)

I now have 6 of these plus another type that uses 2 wireless sensors to turn on a power strip.

#11 ·
Beelce, do you think electrical wholesalers would carry the 3M reflective tape? I used to work for a local one in CT before they were bought out by Rexel and still have a few contacts there. And even if they're gone, they have a public sales counter.

-TM

#12 ·
Great how-to, beelce. Excellent pix. SI, if you use the plastic power strips with the sockets molded in the cover you'll find that the sockets are all connected by copper bus rails, not wires. I tried the same thing with the flicker strip hack, and would have ended up with all the sockets running the same flicker rate. beelce's hack will certainly work with the molded strips but you may not have room to mount the sensor on the strip.

#13 ·
Terrormaster- You could probably find the reflective tape in any number of retail spots, but really you can use anything you want to cover the holes (cardboard, plastic, rubber, metal, wood....try not to use things like deli meats or cucumbers)...Really I just wanted to cover the holes fast and easy and I have reflective vinyl on hand....An added benefit of the reflective vinyl, is that it is easier for me to find the strips in my woods at night with a flashlight.

Thanks Otaku...Yes I have butchered a plastic strip trying to hack it and it ended up in the parts box

#14 ·
Thank you Beelce!!! I have been very patiently or maybe not so patiently waiting for this. I'm going to put together at least two of these just as soon as I complete my current project. You did a very simple how to that even I can understand.

I have just one question though, I should be able to extend the sensor with longer wires and maybe a short stand of some kind so that the power strip could be inside my coffin and the sensor outside right? Maybe make a hole in the bottom of my coffin and run the sensor through that way?

#17 ·
Buckaneerbabe...you have been more than patient waiting for me to make it happen... My question to you is- why do you need to have an extension for the motion sensor? Just put the whole unit outside the coffin and let the power cords come through the coffin out to the power strip/sensor. I usually cable tie my sensor/strips to a metal post that I drive in the ground.

Hallowennie315 and Dynoflyer.... thanks much

#20 ·
Here's one I made a couple of years ago. It's the same concept without the power strip. I made it to have a power strip plug into it so it could easily be hung anywhere. It's very easy to make. Everything you need is at your local home store. 1 cord, 1 motion detector, 1 strain relief, 1 junction box and wire nuts. Motion detectors are a killer way to scare the crap out of people.

#24 ·
Ya know I think these are great, and I even bought a few motion sencers over the last 2 years.But I haven used any of it yet. what do you guys have that uses this electric set-up. now that I think of it ,all I have is lights and everything elce is batteries. waaa.
I love the how -to, with all the pics.

#25 ·
Ubzest, I use them to control whole scenes. My haunt is a haunted woods walk thru...people walk down a dark trail and pow, out of nowhere a crazy scene pops on for a full 7 seconds. Then everything goes off an leaves them standing there in the dark with their mouths open. When someone activates a sensor everything in that scene turns on. Usually includes things like- LEDs, spot lights, background lights, fans, motors...anything that you can plug into the sensor strip will turn on and off for you.

#26 ·
Buckaneerbabe...here is a wireless sensor that is much easier to hide.

I used a 25' extension cord with a receiver receptacle in the box on the end. With this system you can use multiple sensors up to 100' away from the power strip. The sensors are battery powered, so you can put them anywhere.
Only the red side of the receptacle will turn on and off by sensor (the white side is always on), but you can control up to 1800 watts.
All parts from Home Depot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.