Haunt Forum banner

Bose Einstein Fog Chiller

16K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  Zoolando 
#1 ·

#30 ·
Zoolando,

Thanks very much for a peek inside and all of the video documentation of your "very cool" fog chiller. From what I've seen, I think you've dialed in a darn good set of materials that take full advantage of the science behind it. These are the same methods that you use when you make ice cream at home with your typical ice cream maker (a rotating aluminum can within an icy brine solution). The last time I made ice cream (after watching your videos) I decided to check the temp of the water in the bucket and was AMAZED at how cold it got...I seriously had no idea! Thank you again. You're my hero.

#32 ·
So if I understand this right, it's kind of a trashcan chiller/vortex hybrid? You're using dryer hose like a trashcan chiller, but it is non-continuous. That is, the intake terminates at the super carbonator, fog collects in the top of the chiller and is then forced through exit dryer hose on the other end of the chiller.

The secret sauce is ice melt which is basically calcium chloride, right? Has anyone tried that in other chiller types?

#33 ·
I never bothered to try the trashcan design, because i needed something that could fit under the dj booth or a table, and also because Brides don't like extra trash cans laying around on their special day lol. As for a haunt im sure they get the job done. The Home Depot totes i used are 5 times thicker than the trash can, so they're just a step down from a cooler, and the orange and black colors just made sense. The "super carbonator" is on the out pipe, and its only true purpose is to use as a dry ice chamber, and the cap keeps the dry ice away from melting water. This chiller also exploits every possible advantage to make the fog colder. On top of the super chilled aluminum pipes, the fog travels trough all the ice from the two furthest apart locations in the chiller. Lol as far as secret sauces go, ill likely share a few ways of getting the temp even lower without going to liquid gas because it's just not very safe, but you'll have to wait until the next video.

#36 ·
Who needs dry ice anyhow? Im doing the basement scene from return of the living dead where the barrel bursts and releases the fog that causes all the trouble lol. I picked up the campfire zombie at Spirit and im mounting him inside the barrel. making a rupture in the bottom of the barrel where all the chilled fog will flow from.

#37 ·
Zoolando, Going by your picture here not the video build. How are you keeping the slim rectanglular pieces up at the end or just by the semi rigid tubing? Thought about what you were saying as I've had the reverse style and like this hybrid with aluminum. My inside will be similar but the connection Im using is the round connection to house style so can run a hose from it but thinking going with a T connection so can run it 2 ways as I'm limited in space at the campground, and changing up the inlet to a y design with an inline fan

#38 ·
Those fancy rectangular pieces are a set, and they are a telescopic drier output. There is a 4 inch circle on either end of it so pulling them apart and attaching our hose on either side was easy and they just sit there on the bottom. These pieces make it muck easier in the loading and unloading of the chiller. Also more ice capacity and good ice contact on the aluminum and even better in the super chilled water at the bottom. At $30 for the telescopic pieces though they're not very practical. As far as running an in line fan, I never once have had any problems with my brushless fans on the output. Only that they don't like running very much below -60 c lol.

#39 ·
I knew exactly what you had with those pieces just couldn't figure out at first one or two sets. Run one on my dryer. Actually got mine cheaper. Inline fan already had just changing everything to aluminum instead of pc. Have a couple of 4 inch personal fans I've also used in the past maybe put on output will experiment with what little time I have. Plan was to build a crypt to put the tote and fogger in to hide them and have fog go 2 ways 1 into graveyard other into shelter for rest of display. I take so much already to campground and with space trying to get to just one fog chiller. In the crypt even though not really needed was voing to put pink insulation around it to make it last longer have to get ice early in the day.

#40 ·
That's super cool your'e setting up at the campground! If your'e picking up ice somewhere that also sells dry ice, it wouldn't hurt ya to pick up a couple pounds to buy you some time and help freeze your ice to a lower temp. as long as the dry ice stays dry, and the container your'e keeping it all in can breathe (Dry ice will pressure up a container as it sublimates and can explode). I don't have a link but there is a couple vids on campers using dry ice to help keep goods frozen longer. Again, as long as your cooler can breathe a bit, you can put dry ice with your water ice and itll be colder and last longer. Happy Haunting.

#41 ·
Ended up using 3 large bags of ice, I have it setup using a Sterlite Heavy duty tote. It did come out really cold, was nice standing in front of it as it was warm out. lol. It seemed like I had quite a few issues with it at first blowing back and ended up taking the fan assembly y pipe off and shooting directly in helped some, think some of the issues were wind related and at first was so cold it was just shooting out the front of the shelter doing the road. Once it started getting dark and cooling off started doing a lot better, think it was close to 80 when trick or treating started. And only ran it frontwards not in a couple of directions ran out of time. Would like to experiment with a little bit less ice (just on cost) before Saturday but working today. Tomorrow is only 100% chance of rain and Friday have a wedding in the middle of the State so my day is gone. It was really cool around 9pm or so when it cooled off had the insides fogged along with about 6 other campsites. We went through a ride in the back of a pickup and was cool seeing how much it was fogging things up,

#43 ·
Had really bad luck with the setup this weekend, one of the narrow connections broke its cheap river/spot weld and with it raining the whole time just didn't want to work. Didn't help ended up getting pneumonia either started out I think less but with all the rain just got worse have seen the doctor a couple of times in the past week and go back Wednesday. Think I just need to work on my design a little more and change it up some and get some real testing in. I like the heavy duty tote design as you can seal it better than a cooler, with some help as it has a bigger lip, and ice did last all night, and did work work with the aluminum did make it really cold better than the pvc when it was working. Just have to figure out by blow back and some issues where weather related.

#44 ·
xredge if you have been using fans to push, whether the y pipe or anywhere in the back of the chiller, i suggest you forget about that setup immediately. And regardless of whatever anyone else might tell you about fog chiller 101, i have always had better results when using the fan on the output end. glycerin vapor really isn't that hard on any kind of fan and sure its not gong to last forever, but the very first fan i ever used in one of these chiller videos is still running well. happy haunting 2017

#45 ·
I was going to switch the fan over to the output, I was actually thinking at first about running dual fans one front one output. The past couple of years I've used a personal 4 inch fan on the Y pipe with no issues, but this year with doing all aluminum ducting I went with an inline duct fan. Original plan was to have fog either go out 2 different directions or was planning on a crypt to go out all over but just didn;t make it with work, rain and being so sick. Not happening tonight with Rain and snow, wish could have as it will suck to buy 3 bags of ice for testing but maybe can reduce number. There is a few more thinsg I need to do as that dryer extension piece broke the cheap rivets so need to fix a few items with it and a few other things I didn;t get to

#47 ·
Unless I missed a video, I am confused on one detail. It is the dry ice chamber. I know you said it was optional, but I can't figure out where it is in your design. Is it external to the chamber or what? Going to try this as getting any kind of fog in Texas is hard. Our Halloweens are often 60 to 80 and windy. Hope that this will work in a crypt, going to enclose more in 2018 so that may take care of some of the breeze.

Thanks.

#48 ·
Wind is the real killer for fog. The relatively high ambient temps will actually help quite a bit. Even fog blowing over plain ice will get close to 32F which will be plastered flat on the ground with an ambient temp of 60-80F... assuming you can stop the wind.

Much harder to get fog to 'stick' to the ground in the northern climates where the actual air temp might be in the 30's.

#49 ·
Alewolf the dry ice chamber is the white color plastic piece that attaches to the out pipe. I rarely ever use the thing anymore but it works on a budget. If you only pick up a pound or two of dry ice it can be used to help everything keep cool longer but anytime i use these things now its either just ice and cacl2 or just lots of dry ice. Halloween 2016 i did a private houseparty and made the t host cough up 70 dollars to get 20 kg of dry ice. The dry ice just barely made the duration of the 5 hours but the fogger was going nonstop on a proximity sensor/relay bypass. The ice filled to capacity with a kg of cacl2 will do 12 hours or so and sometimes the output temps are similar but nothing beats a chiller filled to capacity with dry ice... at least for a bit.

#50 ·
Corey872 you nailed it. For outdoor events, wind blockers and fogger location are the key factors. These chillers simply exploit temperature difference. Colder lays lower. Even factors like in floor heat or radiant heat change the dynamics. Temperature differential indoors can even create a small draft where there shouldn't be air movement.

#52 ·
What are we missing? The next video is in the works... Input please... This Fog Chiller is a Hauntforum exclusive, so i'd like the input from all members... What can we do to achieve better performance for low lying fog? Any and all input is much appreciated.

"It's coming"...

#54 ·
What are we missing? The next video is in the works... Input please... This Fog Chiller is a Hauntforum exclusive, so i'd like the input from all members... What can we do to achieve better performance for low lying fog? Any and all input is much appreciated.
How about a dual input setup, so that you can blow two smaller fogger's into one chiller for a higher output. I think this is a real good design BTW. I have worked with commercial theatrical units a bunch in the past, and this has got to be the best "homebrew" unit I have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.