Haunt Forum banner

Fog Juice recipe

77K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Ron P 
#1 ·
I just did a search on here for fog juice recipes and did not come up with anything. Just wondering if anyone is using home made juice. I have been using a mix that I make for about 3 years now that seems to be as good or better than store bought kind. More importantly, its MUCH MUCH cheaper. I found it online and its ridiculously simple to make. Its just glycerine that I bought from Walgreens, and distilled water. Here is one mix I found: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa010603c.htm

Just google fog juice recipe. There are many out there.

#4 ·
They should have taken you up on that bet. Making your own fog juice is definitely cheaper, and definitely dangerous. Store bought fog juice is made form near pharmaceutical grade chemicals, it's specifically blended to burn at fogger temperatures. One of the chemicals released if things go wrong is formaldehide (a colorless, toxic, potentially carcinogenic, water-soluble gas). I'd hazzard a guess, that if it the home made stuff seems to produce more fog than the store bought, it's because the home brew isn't mixed in the proper proportions, probably too much glycerine. It's just not worth the risk of poisoning yourself or TOTers. This topic gets brought up on every forum sooner or later, it goes hand in hand with the make your own fogger theory.

#8 ·
Ok, from the VERY SITE you linked to, here are the warnings, and they are consistant with what Vald said:
Chemistry of Smoke Machines

Part III: Atomized Glycols More of this Feature
• Part 1: Introduction & Dry Ice
• Part 2: Liquid Nitrogen
• Part 3: Atomized Glycols
• Part 4: Water Vapor

Related Resources
• Chemistry 'How-To' Guide
• How Things Work
• Weird Science
• Chemistry Articles
• Home Experiments

Elsewhere on the Web
• Making Fog Juice
• Build Your Own Fog Chiller
• Got Fog? - Build a Fog Chiller
• Homemade Iron-Based Fogger
• Fog Juice Recipe
• Smoke Machines - Wise Owl Answers
• MSDS MDG Dense Fluid Water-Based Fog
• MSDS Fantraxx Water-Based Liquid Smoke

Atomized Glycols

Many commercial smoke machines use 'fog juice' that consists of glycols, glycerine, and/or mineral oil, with varying amounts of distilled water. The glycols are heated and forced into the atmosphere under pressure to create a fog or haze. There are a variety of mixtures that may be used. See the reference bar to the right of this article for Material Safety Data Sheets on some example types. Some homemade recipes for fog juice are:

15%-35% food grade glycerine to 1 quart distilled water
125 ml glycerine to 1 liter distilled water
(glycerine creates a 'haze' at concentrations of 15% or less and more of a fog or smoke at concentrations higher than 15%)

Unscented mineral oil (baby oil), with or without water
(I can't vouche for the safety of using mineral oil for fog juice)

10% distilled water: 90% propylene glycol (dense fog)
40% distilled water: 60% propylene glycol (quick dissipating)
60% water: 40% propylene glycol (very quick dissipation)

30% distilled water: 35% dipropylene glycol: 35% triethylene glycol (long-lasting fog)

30% distilled water: 70% dipropylene glycol (dense fog)

The resulting smoke should not smell 'burnt'. If it does, likely causes are too high of an operating temperature or too much glycerine/glycol/mineral oil in the mixture. The lower the percentage of organic, the less expensive the fog juice, but the fog will be lighter and will not last as long. Distilled water is only necessary if a heat exchanger or other tubing is used in the system. Using a homemade fog mixture in a commercial machine will almost certainly void the warranty, possibly damage the machine, and possibly pose a fire and/or health hazard.

Important Points

This type of fog is heated and will rise or disperse at a higher level than dry ice or liquid nitrogen fog. Coolers can be used if low-lying fog is desired.
Changing the mixture or conditions of dispersion of atomized glycols can result in many special effects that are difficult to achieve with other simulated smokes.
Glycols can undergo heat denaturation into highly toxic substances, such as formaldehyde. This is one of the major problems with homemade smoke machines - they may operate at a temperature that is incompatible with the substances being used. Also, this is a danger with homemade fog juice used in commercial machines. Glycols, glycerine, and mineral oil can all leave an oily residue, resulting in slick or sometimes slightly sticky surfaces. Be aware of the potential safety hazards, especially since the smoke may limit visibility. Also, some people may experience skin irritation from exposure to glycol fog.
Some glycols are toxic and should not be used to create smoke. Ethylene glycol is poisonous. Some glycols are sold as mixtures. Medical or pharmaceutical grade non-toxic glycols only should be used in smoke machines. Do not use antifreeze to make a fog mixture. The ethylene glycol types are poisonous and the propylene glycol types always contain undesirable impurities.
If water is used, it needs to be distilled water, since hard water deposits can damage the atomizer apparatus.
Some of the chemicals that can be used for this type of smoke are flammable.

#9 ·
I think I'll stick with my VEI Fog juice! It's fairly cheap at $15.99 a gallon. One gallon lasts a long time.

#17 ·
Thanks for this tip! I hope to make it to the Big City this week to check out ours. We have 3 foggers that worked last year and 4 that didn't. Just keep buying new ones when they stop, 'cuz nobody carried the cleaning fluid!

On the issue of homemade fluid~~~ie: glycerine, mineral oil, baby oil (scented or unscented) lets put this in LAYMAN'S TERMS...
Picture coating your lungs with oil and imagine how well they will work afterwards!

Any questions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.