Haunt Forum banner

What's new for 2017?

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  RoxyBlue 
#1 ·
A place to post your new purchases for this coming Halloween. New stuff, thrift store finds, anything you get that will be part of your 2017 haunt/display.

Our two new witch masks (pictured on each end) from Darkside studios

Picked up a few things at Michaels today for our witch house. The cage and wrought iron easel were both on clearance. also got a pack of color changing led tea lights (Thanks Roxy!) that we can use in some of our witch lanterns..

See less See more
#2 ·
Great masks. I'm looking for birdcages and easels so it looks like I need to head to Michalis.

I was getting bored with decorating the same old house so we bought a new house. A blank slate. Truthfully, I needed a one story house. But I'm really going to miss my six huge oaks. The little tree at the edge of the garden is the only one I have. I'm going to have to start soon planning out my yard haunt.

#5 ·
Beautiful home. Nice sized yard but I get what you're saying about the trees. We had to take down a big old maple in front of our house last year. Trees are great for us folks who do yard haunts. You could make an awesome cemetery in your space!:jol:

#7 ·
I never thought of that. Thank you.

I don't have anymore new buys to post. But with cleaning and boxing I have found things I forgot things I had. I found a web shooter under some winter coats I was sending to Goodwill. Damn, I bought that three years ago and forgot all about it. Never even opened it yet. I've found costumes, hanging ghouls, make-up (headed for the trash now). All kinds of things. I'm really good at hiding things. Not so hot on finding them.

#9 ·
I'm trying to figure out my set up for this year. My front yard is about a fourth of the size of my last one. And two of the houses across the street from me are Baptist Ministers. I guess that means I won't be using my human sacrifice setup or the devil worshiping act any more. ;) Kind of neat having a new palate to decorate. I'm always on the look out for something new.

#13 ·
:jol:Nice masks jdubbya, I am especially fond of Cackle. Your witch scene is going to ROCK this year! I love the new house Scareme, I can't wait to see how you haunt it this year. You could have a super cool walk-through in your garage! (If you were into walk-throughs....I have a garage too loaded with Halloween decorations to ever dream of a walk through):D:p

#20 · (Edited)
We've had a few new additions so far this year, but these ones really take the cake!

First, I'd like to introduce you all to Marcus, our very own (mostly) black kitten!

He's only about 4 months old, but he's already as big as my last cat (who, admittedly, was on the small side). He's going to be a big boy!

Next, today we went to Big Lots again, as our last trip found most of the Halloween stuff still in boxes. On the way in, we noticed that the Sears store next door is closing, so we stop in there first. We notice that, on the walls, there are these huge (5' x 10' or so) printed cloth panels they used to stage some of their furniture. There were four a log cabin wall look and four with a large stone look. My wife indicated that she liked them also, as she's a photographer and was thinking backdrops too, so I went to ask how much they were. The woman initially quoted $20 per panel, so $80 for a whole set, but the stone ones were on hold for someone else. She said she'd throw in the matching covers some free-standing panels too (each 5' x 30") on the log ones, though. I asked how much for the stands, and she offered $10 per stand. I waffled a bit, as that was getting a bit steep, and the wife had only okayed two panels (for a total of $40). I decided that I'd regret not getting the other two log panels, so I told her we'd take them too, and asked if she'd take $20 total for the three stands. That's when the magic happened.

As she was ringing things in, she said, how about $50 for the whole set with the stands too, and this was me:

13hykp

After pulling them down and rolling them up (my arm workout for the day, I assure you), I took them out to the car, happy as a dog with a new bone! My wife and I are loading them up, figuring out how we're going to get them strapped down, when the woman comes out and says that the woman who had reserved the stone panels just called back to cancel her reservation!!! After exchanging excited looks with my wife, I went back in and did the same thing for the stone set (my arm workout for tomorrow too) for another $50!

First, we've got the stands lined up in the garage:

20170728_140936

Next is sort of a close up of the small panels, but look at the quality of the printing (the cloth ain't bad either - the woman at the store commented something like it costs the store around $200 per panel, which I believe)!

20170728_141042

#21 · (Edited)
Apparently, I ran out of picture room in the last one.

Anyway, this is the stone:

20170728_164547

And the logs, with my blushing bride in the background, taking her own pictures to show off:

20170728_164515

Please pardon mess behind, but here's the stack of rolled-up panels (I wanted to unroll one, but decided against it after remembering my tired, tired arms:

20170728_140946

And, finally, one of our Big Lots purchases, which is due for a nice coat of paint, if not monster mud, before finding her place in the graveyard!

20170728_140951

She was half off, as was an angel "Welcome" garden thing that's due for a similar treatment.

So, when can I start decorating?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.