Haunt Forum banner

Monster Man Series

7K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Slanks 
#1 ·
I did not see another post about this one, and I'm not sure what forum it belongs in...
Face Off ended and Monster Man began.
As I had hoped, MM focused much more on the build aspect - not entirely, of course, but more. I did not expect a step by step "How to Make a Two Headed Shark", and we did not get one. Still, it's cool to see props built at a professional level and see how they operate "in the biz".

It seems the monster shop they chose was based at least in part on their involvement in low budget monster movies such as SYFY originals, and in part on drama among the primaries. I could still do without the drama, but I am not going to pay their bills, so I'll take that to get glimpses into the inner workings of the shop.

Striking how very similar their methods seem to be compared with home haunters. Only the budget and time factors seem radically different. Love yo know what others think about this new series.

#2 ·
This forum is probably fine for the series discussion, Jim, since it lists TV shows as part of the genres covered. If I'm mistaken, it will be moved:)

We also watched the first episode and one of the first things Spooky1 said after it was over was that he hoped the producers wouldn't put a lot of focus on the fireworks between father and daughter:) Other than that, watching the builds and how the monster makers were so actively involved in the shots (like getting into the water with the two headed shark) was entertaining.

#3 ·
We also watched the first episode and one of the first things Spooky1 said after it was over was that he hoped the producers wouldn't put a lot of focus on the fireworks between father and daughter:) Other than that, watching the builds and how the monster makers were so actively involved in the shots (like getting into the water with the two headed shark) was entertaining.
The show seems like it has some great potential. Our fear about the show is the same as Spooky's...don't want another American Chopper soap opera, I want to see some amazing props getting built. Unfortunately, most of America is probably going to be looking for the drama...

#4 ·
I liked the first episode, but would like them to tone down the drama. I guess all jobs are about the same. The boss makes promises, then talks to the people who actually have to do the work and are told "you said we can do what by this Friday?" :)

#6 ·
They are certainly not making props for major motion pictures or anything close...more like scyfy channel stuff at best, but it still seems like you could glean a technique or two from the show if they just toned down the drama a bit. Overall though I agree, I think this one is going belly up if it continues the way it is.

#7 ·
I enjoyed the first episode. The drama was there, of course, but as mentioned by others in this thread, the drama is what keeps the average viewer interested. All of us just want to see the process and enjoy the challenge vicariously, but sadly we are not the main demographic.

The Asylum showing up to commission the shark- awesome. I love the micro studios. Some of their output is questionable but that's where the business is for practical effects. A show about an effects shop that only caters to the big studios making summer blockbusters would pretty much be a camera hovering over a bunch of computer guys drinking Red Bull and coding. Sure, that has its place, but I want to see rubber monsters!

The Sean and Noel Cunningham project looked like it was a short film or something- maybe Sean was directing his son's script to help him build his curriculum vitae. They probably paid for one day's shooting at the hospital, thus the tension over the effects crew being late and slow.

Cleve Hall is an interesting character. At first I thought he would be odious, but his personality grew on me over time. Seems like he would be cool to talk shop with; he's probably got some great stories.

I'm rooting for this to continue because no matter how intrusive the drama is, it's a show about people doing what we love to do. I'll take that over ice road trucking shows and pawn shops any day of the week.

#8 ·
I agree for the most part with what has been said so far. I hate the drama but I guess it's not a how-to show anyway. And with a bit of luck we could pick up a tip here or there that might be useful. We can hope it will get better, but I doubt it ever will.

#10 ·
I really do want to see as much of the work in the shop as possible, personally.

I don't know anything about the movie biz, so I could be wrong, but... Does it seem odd that a guy working for a shop like this will need to go into a shark cage to "study how sharks attack"? Maybe that happens all the time. I understand the animators of Finding Nemo all went snorkeling in the reef, but there must be 1,000 cheaper ways to see sharks move and attack. Actually, does it seem odd that the guys from Asylum came in with such a bad shark design in the first place? I have seen several two headed freaks, and they are always side by side. MAYBE they just wanted to be different, but I think anyone with film experience would have seen how useless the top and bottom heads would have been for filming.

I am suspicious of the setup, but that said, I still plan to catch this and hope it proves to be useful and entertaining.

#11 ·
Jim, I figure that the reason they went in the shark cage was to pump up some minor thrills. Kind of like the times on Face Off when they bring in zoo animals, point the camera at the contestants and tell them to act like they are in jeopardy. "To think that if it were not for the thick iron gate and the 12 guys off camera with high powered rifles, that marmoset would kill us all. Wow! I'm so inspired!"

I'm with you, I want them to stay in the shop.

The two headed shark IMMEDIATELY made me think of the recent Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the Sam Rockwell version of Zaphod Beeblebrox. Could be the Asylum folks were inspired by that, wanting something less common than the side by side head. Other than that, it could be that the producers asked them to bring the silly double decker shark drawing so they could have a little cliffhanger moment.

Cleve Hall is a member here. Cleve, you got any comments on all this?

#12 ·
Cleve Hall is a member here. Cleve, you got any comments on all this?
Yeah, if Cleve is free to comment, that would be great! As I said, I know nothing about the biz, so insight would be interesting. Of course, that may not be allowed. Or he may be too busy working 36 hour days and sleeping in his car to get on the forum. I could see that.

#13 ·
Just watched the episode again with a fresh set of eyes and enjoyed it much more, appreciated the work done under tight deadlines and liked the humor...seems like it would be a fun place to work.

I do wish the producers of the show would find an original format and style for this show...seems like all reality shows are clones, the same time lapse transitions, the same music, the same pacing...I would just like to see something fresh in the way they tell the stories. An interesting idea would be tell the story backwards, start with finished work then go backwards to reveal all the challenges each project faced...sort of like the backward Seinfeld episode.

#16 · (Edited)
Watched Episode 2 Last night. Personal feelings on the show is that after seeing this episode, I can see why only, for lack of a better word, "hack" directors come to him. They took what was a decent drawn design and turned it into a cartoon style werewolf. Cleve's apparent backhanded disregard for his clients deadlines, total lack of professionalism, lack of communication, overinflated ego, and as for tight deadlines...if he actually focused on the task at hand adn controlled his group, the deadline wouldn't be tight. I can full well understand delegating a task to somone, but if you don't meet as a group to get the plan to run smooth, it will be exactly as the show appears, Chaos. The show seems to be leaning more toward the "OC Chopper and Cardasian watching crowd" and not those interested in the 'art' behind making "monsters". With the small amount of drama involved with "Face off", Face off is a much more entertaining show with real "proffesional attitude". What the contestants created under rediculious deadlines, by themselves, far outweighs what is shown on Monsterman with the creativity of a "group" of artists. I would love to see what a group of Faceoffers could come up with in a head to head with Cleve and his group and the week he had to create it. Would he accept that challenge? I respect Cleve for his years in the Biz, but I think this show is seriously damaging his credibility as a quality special Monster fx builder.

#18 ·
Well I liked a couple of his ideas, I never tought of making patterns off of a smaller statue and useing a projector to enlarge it. Of coruse my thought on seeing this was *Beep* I should have bought a projector at the school auction! At the same time his poor attuide toward the clients and meeting his deadlines kind of irks me. I'll keep watching just to see what I can on how they do props though. I like his daughter and tend to agree with her so far. I work with my dad on the family farm so I know how it feels to but heads with dad over new and old ways and having to walk away to calm down before I strangle him.

#22 ·
Did not get a chance to see episode #2. I will give it another go before I make a final decision to commit to watching or not...again, realizing this is not a show for haunters, but a show for extreme reality TV viewers with a penchant for horror. Fingers crossed it is a good one...

#24 ·
Black rose, I am pretty sure that the fur was from NFT. National fiber technologies- They do almost all the hair and fur in Hollywood. Most furs run around $30/sq ft. Stupid expensive. here is their site incase you are getting an awesome tax return. It is worth it,I have had to use them a few times. the werewolf furis $40/sf now.
http://www.nftech.com/products-stock.html

#26 ·
Black rose, I am pretty sure that the fur was from NFT. National fiber technologies- It is worth it,I have had to use them a few times. the werewolf fur is $40/sf now.
http://www.nftech.com/products-stock.html
Thanks Allen! I did not even know this stuff existed. These are the things I like about the show - seeing what pros have access to. I don't actually need this stuff, but I love knowing it's there!

An interesting idea would be tell the story backwards, start with finished work then go backwards to reveal all the challenges each project faced...sort of like the backward Seinfeld episode.
That would be pretty interesting. I think we pretty much know going in that it will all work out, so why not start there?

Watched Episode 2 Last night. Face off is a much more entertaining show with real "professional attitude". What the contestants created under ridiculous deadlines, by themselves, far outweighs what is shown on Monsterman with the creativity of a "group" of artists. I would love to see what a group of Faceoffers could come up with in a head to head with Cleve and his group and the week he had to create it. Would he accept that challenge? I respect Cleve for his years in the Biz, but I think this show is seriously damaging his credibility as a quality special Monster fx builder.
I was wondering about that myself. I'm thinking, "why would I go to this shop if they have no respect for my deadlines?". If I were directing, losing time and light and location by the second, I would not use a shop a second time if they showed up two hours late, no matter how well it worked out in the end. I am also wondering if it's not some kind of commercial for upcoming movies more than anything else. I never heard of Thomas Churchill. I don't know what makes his film making "revolutionary", but I imagine Google searches went up a bit after this aired. I'm thinking people agree to be part of this show mostly to help get their movies noticed, rather than just random customers showing up with projects.

I'm not impressed with their designs but it's still interesting to see the process. I'm shocked at the quality of their prosthetic work and that they had to bring in a silicone expert.
I'm not qualified to critique their prosthetics - I have no idea how to blend the eyes so artfully like they did on the Princess mask. I am watching the show for the process though. It's the only reason I would tune in.

The field trips are killing me though. "We're on a tight deadline, and I need to get this werewolf going. Let's spend the time and money to find a place that will let us watch dogs attack humans and put Cleve in the bite suit." Again, maybe this is how Hollywood really works. Maybe people with 30 years in the FX business take weekly field trips to spend an hour in a shark cage or at a dog training school. What next? Do they go to the bug house in the zoo, or maybe visit the Orkin man? Maybe they just buy an ant farm.

It feels so forced, so contrived. I want to see people build monsters and props.

Best parts?
I did not realize that a director might come and shoot the green screen in the shop. That's cool. I also never thought about the reflective materials and green screen. The stretch fur was awesome (Thanks again Allen - YouTube Wednesdays are as entertaining and more informative than Monster Man so far). I never knew how much the prop people might be involved in the actual shoot - like making the shark bite or the werewolf jaws open and close, or blood splatter.

I liked the muscle suit, and it may influence how I rebuild my gargoyle. That might be worth watching the whole series to me.

I'll watch at least one more episode anyway. I hope it's less cheese, but I have little faith.

#25 ·
Just saw episode 2. I liked the werewolf until I saw the head in the footage they shot. Had a Wile E. Coyote quality to it. My favorite practical werewolves have always been the DOG SOLDIERS werewolves. I wish they had taken it more that direction, and less Rob Zombie animation. This one would have been really good if they'd made the head a bit more natural.

I'd like to see an episode where Hill and Johnnie make all the creative decisions. They seem like they'd have some good ideas (well, except for the werewolf man-junk).

The Princess Polly mask turned out well, but I think the makeup artists had a lot to do with that. It was blended beautifully.

Still, the show is a fun watch. Looking forward to more.

#29 ·
After watching the 3rd episode, I'm hooked. But I feel sorry for Cleve. I don't know how he puts up with his boss and his daughter. And rushing to meet deadlines week after week is going to get old fast. I don't see this show making it into a second season if they don't change the "plot" once in a while.

I'm also stunned at how unprofessionally the shop is run. The planning is horrible, the drawings aren't great (not that they follow them anyway) and the props end up being only B movie quality.

On the other hand, this stuff is great for haunted houses. They might not explain exactly what they are doing all the time, but I'm picking up things here and there. It's funny how they try to hide the names of the materials they are using, but I could see them using Smooth-On's Foam It last night. And there's a lot more how-to material here than there was on Face Off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.