Haunt Forum banner

Cheap 8' Jack in the Box

19K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Toktorill 
#1 ·
Hey all! Time to dust off some old video for a prop how-to. *cough* :zombie: *cough*

Our 2008 haunt had a carnival theme, and this was our second largest prop after the vortex tunnel. Here's a short video that should give an idea of how it works. Sorry, but all the plans and measurements were lost and forgotten, but if I had to guess I would say you need:

14 2x4's
2 1x4's
scrap plywood for forearms
10' nylon rope
4 door hinges (for body)
4 smaller hinges (arms are lighter)
Thick screws or bolts with washers for door hinges- standard 1.5" screws were being pulled out!
"Jack" decorations: scary mask, fake hands, fabric, etc.

Some notes off the top of my head:

The forearm plywood is cut at an angle, so that it falls flush to the body to fit back into the box.

There is a piece of wood connected to the bottom piece of the upper arm that is angled behind the back to connect the nylon to. Pulling down on that "shoulder blade" lifts the arm.

The lever at back was made in the shape of an L so the haunter can push it all the way to the floor without having to bend over.

We were able to "jump" at patrons much faster than demonstrated here.

Thanks for viewing, please comment!

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeebus... The King of Cheep triumphs again. Dude, you are my hero. Your ability to create Mondo Cool stuff out of damned near nuthin' just amazes me. Pro haunts on a home haunter's budget. Martha Stewart would be downright embarrassed if she looked at your stuff.

#8 ·
Everyone, thank you SO MUCH for all the great compliments!
Our 2008 haunt was themed "Haunted Midway" so yes, quite a few ideas. This JIB and the Vortex Tunnel were two of those. I think it would be best if I covered the other props elsewhere- I'll pm you when I have something up. A few older ideas you could twist to your theme might be our temple entrance, hidden door and endless hallway (from the Temple of Boo), and a version of our torture wheel with a "throwing knife accident" :lolkin: If your doing CarnEvil, just remember: everyone LOVES clowns. :tonguekin: One of my older threads involved making 8' tall giants out of $5-$10 worth of lumber and dollar store plastic tablecloths. We did a devil, but wouldn't a giant clown looming out of the darkness with arms flailing get more... laughs? ha. Ha. hahaha hahahaa hahaha haaahahaa HAAAA HAAA HAAAAA!

#15 ·
If you mean mechanized with a motor or air piston, No. My budget is limited to $200 CDN / Year for the ENTIRE HAUNT- so I stick to human-driven props, plastic film, free cardboard, miss-tint paint and cheap wood :p.

The lever in the back my assistant was pulling down in the video was hidden behind a black poly wall :ninja:.

#28 ·
I love this mechanism- I am thinking of doing it on a smaller scale as part of a walk-through I'm planning this year (my first). I'm hoping I can scale it down to life size and have the "creature" pop out of a piece of furniture. Thanks Toktorill for the additional drawings of the mechanism. They will help with my build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.