HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > General Prop Discussion
Forgot Password?

Notices

General Prop Discussion General prop discussion forum. For discussions that don't really "fit" into another of the propbuilding categories.

Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

Liked 23 times in 12 posts
Default Haunted nursery

Trying to come up with some additional ideas for a haunted nursery in my walk through haunt. I know it's kinda sick, but little kids sometimes scare the crap out of me...lol.

Here's what I'm considering:
  1. Some sort of mobil maybe one thats been mutulated like with a heat gun or just has some really twitsted items hanging from it (i.e. body parts, knives or something).
  2. Crib with movement (pnuematic cylinder to make the gate go up and down)
  3. Nursery rhymes in midi format played really slow
  4. Children laughing and warnings being whispered in the background
  5. Clown or puppet hanging from the wall, various childrens toys/lamp, etc..

This is going to be a rather small room (it's actually a wash room with 2 doors).

Any other ideas?
Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

Liked 76 times in 23 posts

Last year I had a pram/stroller with the sound of a baby crying coming from it....no baby, no movement...just the crying. It was perhaps the creepiest and most effective prop I had...the mothers who came thru couldn't stand the crying. It was very disturbing.
Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

Liked 6 times in 5 posts

A haunted nursery needs some haunted kids. When I did a nursery scene I went to a local flea market/rummage sale and loaded up on old dolls. I took them home and repainted them into evil looking little children. Some of them were in a cradle, some were sitting on the floor playing and some were just on a shelf. I still have them on the shelf in my office as a display. Also, some of the blocks with letters on them....glue them together to spell out phrases. REDRUM seemed to be the biggest hit with parents. Find a doll house and repaint it to look like a haunted house as a filler piece in the room, or maybe make it look like a funeral parlor. One of the greatest compliments I ever got on my dolls came from fellow forum member BlackCat. I had painted a dolls face black, glow in the dark paint on the eyes, lips bright orange, and then glued white feathers all over the doll. I stuck it in a birdcage lined with newspapers, then I stuck another doll, like the little dolls that came in the happy meals a few years ago, in the cage with the bigger one. I had ripped off one of her arms, stuck it in the bigger dolls hand, and covered the little doll with fake blood and had the blood dripping down the mouth and feathers of the bigger dolls. BlackCat comes along and says something to the efffect, "That's just SICK". What better compliment can you ask for! Total cost of that little prop, which is also on display in my home office, about $1.97 for the feathers. I found the cage on the curb on bulk pickup day, the paints and fake blood I had here and the doll was bought at a rummage sale where it was bag day, so I could fill an entire garbage bag for a dollar. I'd say total it cost MAYBE $2.50 and I LOVE it!

Another idea may be to have the kids singing that song from Nightmare on Elm Street playing softly...One, two Freddys coming for you...three, four, better shut the door...etc.
Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishaanne View Post
Another idea may be to have the kids singing that song from Nightmare on Elm Street playing softly...One, two Freddys coming for you...three, four, better shut the door...etc.
Actually the main character for our haunt is Mary (twist on bloody mary) and I've actually started working on re working the lyrics to that and letting some of the neighborhood kids record it to have playing.
Old 03-26-2008
DeceptiProp

Liked 4 times in 4 posts

Don't forget the moving tricycle
Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

I really wanted to do that,but not sure I'll have enough room. The room itself is about 6 x 10 with a door on one end and the exit door on one side.

Anybody know of any toys that will bounce/vibrate similar to the old bumble balls? I can't find them anywhere and i think they would be great to put inside stuffed animals.
Old 03-26-2008
DeceptiProp

Liked 4 times in 4 posts

How about a Jack-in-the-box. When it opens have a kid's voice being played; maybe laughing.
Old 03-26-2008
Lunatic

My son wants to be a Jack-N-the-Box and we're looking at putting him behind one of the 5 doors in the Wall of Fate.
Old 03-26-2008
Fearless

Liked 5 times in 2 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
I really wanted to do that,but not sure I'll have enough room. The room itself is about 6 x 10 with a door on one end and the exit door on one side.

Anybody know of any toys that will bounce/vibrate similar to the old bumble balls? I can't find them anywhere and i think they would be great to put inside stuffed animals.
those bumble balls are really easy to make...just take a small toy model motor and attach a cam, off center on the motor shaft and TaDaaaaa...it will vibrate like crazy.
Old 03-27-2008
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frstvamp1r View Post
those bumble balls are really easy to make...just take a small toy model motor and attach a cam, off center on the motor shaft and TaDaaaaa...it will vibrate like crazy.
So a small motor with a something mounted to the shaft that will throw it off balance? What's a good source for a battery operated motor? Considering this for a few stuff animals in the nursery as well as the hanging corpses in my meat locker.