Cauldron Creep - HauntForum
HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > General Prop Discussion
Forgot Password?

Notices

General Prop Discussion General prop discussion forum. For discussions that don't really "fit" into another of the propbuilding categories.

Old 10-21-2008
Lunatic

Liked 80 times in 18 posts
Default Cauldron Creep

It's been a long time coming, and he isn't quite finished, but I have been getting alot of questions about him, so I'm gonna post him unfinished.

This is my take on the classic cauldron stirring witch. My haunt is themed to jungles and islands, and witches don't really fit, plus I don't really like them. I have always liked the grim reaper and Charon the Boatman, so I guess this was a natural interpretation.

Before I get into how I made it, let me give a shout out to those who inspired me (ahem...whom I copied).

ScareFX
Scary Terry
SpiderRider

Also thanks to everyone in the technological terror forum who helped me get him going.

So this guy is a 1/2 pvc armature made with the Zombietronix calculator for a 5 ft skeleton. I used hardware cloth for his rib cage, and it has ribs are made with greatstuff. Inside of him is a 6rpm motor that cranks his head up an down slowly. It hard to see in the video because I kept moving around. His head is a 2 part urethane cast from a mold of a bucky skull. The rest of the bones are from a "bag of Bones" from Biglots and are attached with hot glue. The motor is the standard Monsterguts wiper motor, and I have hooked it up to an ATX computer power supply on the 3.3v circuit.

What makes him different other than being a skeleton is that his stance over the cauldron and the natural movement of the arms are due to the fact that one arm is fixed, unlike most witch cauldrons. The right arm is rigid all the way to the wrist. There it is joined by a simple linkage to the hand which is glued to the stick. If you visualize the shape the stick makes as it travels in circle, it would look like a cone, whereas the normal setup would draw out a tube shape. Since the upper hand is mostly anchored, and the movement there is minimal, the skeleton can be leaning over the cauldron without being hit by the rotating stick. The bottom of the stick has been shaped to a dull point, and rotates inside a 1 1/2 pvc end cap, filled with hot glue to prevent the stick and the bolt which attached the cap from binding.

I'll be posting some more pics a video when he is finished. If you want to see something up close, let me know and I'll snap some pics.

Check out ScareFX's how-to, it was a huge help to me.
Scary Terry Has all the technical info.

UPDATE: Youtube wasn't working lastnight, but flickr was, so here is a video of the early construction. I'm new to using video, so I didn't know you cant rotate them. But you can still see whats going on.
[COLOR="Orange"]

The mechanism fro the head is sloppy, it I had spent more time, I could have gotten the same movement by moving the motor closer to the head and shortening the linkage, but this prop already took too long, about 3.5 months of working on the weekends. Next year I'll tweak his head, maybe even put a spring on it so it turns as it goes up and down.

How-To BlogMy HauntEtsy

Last edited by Devils Chariot; 08-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008
Lunatic

Liked 7 times in 6 posts

Nice take! Love the theme, the music in the vid really sets the tone for the prop. I can see where you are going ewith this, and I like it alot! Well thought out prop.

Old 10-21-2008
Frightener

Liked 1 time in 1 post

Awesome! I would definetly like to see the movement inside the cauldron, I have been working on a standard cauldron witch myself, and am still not happy with the movement, but have to settle for this year. Maybe I can get some ideas for a re-vamp next year!
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008
Fearless

Liked 6 times in 2 posts

Two words...Bad...Ass! I love the unique take! You seriously put some work into that and it shows!!

http://www.amandasnightmare.com
Old 10-21-2008
Fearless

Liked 35 times in 7 posts

Looks great! I REALLY like the stance...it looks almost protective of the cauldron. Have you considered projecting light up from inside the cauldron?
Old 10-21-2008
Desensitized

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Fantastic!

Tell me more about the head movement, like the idea of that added touch.
Old 10-21-2008
Totally Gargoylicious

Liked 210 times in 68 posts

I think the stance really makes this prop - the positioning of the hands, the bent posture - beautiful and effective. We're doing the classic "witch stirring cauldron" for the first time this year, but after seeing this guy, we may make a few changes next year.
Old 10-21-2008
A little bit bent...

Liked 21 times in 12 posts

Take a bow, DC! That is one creepy prop. What an interesting angle for your haunt - jungles and islands. That concept opens up many possibilities!
Old 10-21-2008
Lunatic

Liked 10 times in 3 posts

I want to see the inside too!!! Please, Please!
Old 10-21-2008
Muddled Moderator

Liked 68 times in 25 posts

Best cauldron prop I've seen yet. Great job.