Next I removed the eyes and beak. I used a Dremel with a round metal cutter/grinder to cut away the base, which was molded to look like the top of an old fence post, I think. Already a vast improvement. Had to put on a leather glove just like an animal trainer.
And here's what's left of the base. There's gotta be a use for this, also for the eyes. The beak was reinserted after I ground away a little inside the head. It was hot-glued in when I bought it and wasn't fully in place. Now it is snapped snugly without any adhesive. I think it was designed to snap in, but the way the slot was made for the beak tab, it wasn't shallow enough to allow it to lock in.
And of course all that dust became charged particles which stuck to the owl, my workbench, etc. My shop vac took care of that. This work session I also bisected a poor ping pong ball, drew in some eyes, and rigged a light in the bird to check out the following-eye effect. More on that in another post.