HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

Liked 11 times in 3 posts
Default $1 Prop Security

I've been reading alot from fellow yard haunters who are experiencing theft and vandalism lately, and as such in this day and age its not very surprising.

What I'm reading is that many of you are delaying setting up in fear, I've setup late in late oct. before and it was a huge pain within the scope of only a couple days.

Personally I REFUSE to let a few vagrants ruin the work I spend 6 months preparing for and I will be setup for the entire halloween season!!

I, as likely many of you were once a stupid kid with little regard to property of others, so I'm looking at security of my haunt much like I would if I was the thief or vandal myself, always thinking "how quick could I make off w/ that?" etc.

This is one of 3 layers of yard security I'm trying this year, so here's a quick how to on arming your props for a little over a dollar ea. and making it to where if a thief wants your piece, he/she will have to earn it.

What I'm using is a dollar tree door/window alarm. You could use a personal alarm keychain, whatever. The important part is to place the alarm IN the prop so if they want it, they have to put up with the ear splitting sound going with it.
Any mischief makers will likely drop it on the spot and run like hell!

Heres the parts:
  • Dollar store window/door alarm (this brand is called "Intrud Alert")
  • Galvanized wire
  • Couple rubber bands
  • Spider Wire or similar high tensile string
    Black paint - heat source [lighter] (Not pictured)

1st. step would be to paint the unit to match or hide in your prop, I'm skipping the step for clarity.

Heat up the end of galv wire to push thru the styrene housing to form a way to attach the unit to the prop. If you trust the double sided adhesive strip on the unit you can skip this step.

Form the wire around the bottom and secure. This prevents anyone from removing the batteries.

Add the magnet back in place and loosely secure with a couple rubber bands.

Attach the spider wire to a mounting tab. The other end will be tied off to any other secured object, eg; your fence, a shrub, tree, or a hidden stake secured in the ground.

When the magnet is pulled from the housing the alarm triggers and travels with the prop.
An added bonus is that if the unit is lightly or temporarily separated, the rubber bands pull the magnet back into place. only an intentional removal of your prop will set it off.
The following 8 users liked redg8r's post:
Old 10-08-2011
Smelly Sock Monster

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

that is ok to do as an extra, but it doesn't really prevent it from happening.
Your best defense is lighting, simple as it is...lighting.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans." -John Lennon
Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

This is the unit painted flat black, notice how the on/off switch kinda disappears?
If you worry about tech savvy or brazen thief's with the patience to look for a switch you could possibly open it up and remove or hardwire the switch. I'm not too concerned.

Heres the unit mounted in a prop. weather is gonna be a concern so keep it out of direct path of rain.

Heres the prop armed.... can you see it in daylight?

Heres the tether tied off to the shrub below.

Hope it helps someone.
redg8r
Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frighteners Entertainment View Post
that is ok to do as an extra, but it doesn't really prevent it from happening.
Your best defense is lighting, simple as it is...lighting.
I 100% totally agree....... this is one of 3 steps I'm taking to secure my setup.
Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

That is an killer idea. Yes light might be a deterrent but people these days really don't seem to care. I think the addition of one extra tether attached to the prop and slightly longer than the trigger might slow them down some more. Great idea. Need to go to the dollar tree today for some more LED tea lights for my PVC candles and I will pick some of these alarms up today.
Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

I was thinking about putting an alarm on mine and kept wishing, but this had never ocurred to me. I even saw them at tbe dollar store last night. I am doing this. Thank you
Old 10-08-2011
Frightener

Liked 50 times in 16 posts

this is actually a great idea and at a great price point.
Old 10-08-2011
Uneasy

Liked 3 times in 3 posts

I just went to the dollar store and got some. While I was there, I saw those metal twirly metal stakes with a triangle shape on the top, they sell at Home depot I guess some people use them to stake their dog leash. These are heavy duty and stake all the way down. These are really hard to get out as they are basically deeply screwed to the ground. One would have to wet the floor. A vandal would have to spent quite sometime getting these out. I figure a small piece of chain and lock though the triangle would
prevent and discourage theft any day. These are very easy to hide since the only thing out of the ground is the triangle which is the handle to screw these. These only cost a dollar. I had seen these at home depot for about $8. So these are a great deal
Old 10-08-2011
Terrible Peril

Liked 30 times in 12 posts

Outstanding idea........
Old 10-09-2011
Funkatron Prime

Liked 16 times in 6 posts

Not a bad idea as an additional layer of security, in fact, I think its great. A few things I would add is: test them repeatedly, test them daily, get all the same brand & type, buy extras for the batteries. If you are paranoid, put 2 on a prop as a fail-safe... but if you are that paranoid, your other security will have probably already have alerted you anyway.