HauntForum

Go Back   HauntForum > Props and Prop Building > Prop How-To's
Forgot Password?

Notices

Prop How-To's Post your own tutorials here or links to your favorite project tutorials. Please only post direct links to how-to pages, not links to main pages of a web site. Please use the Links forum for that.

Old 08-26-2010
Fearless

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

That was a terrific explanation. I forgot that you could see through the mirror film. I really like how you set it up, that is how I'd do it in my cemetery as well.

Of course the problem I have now is I had an agreement with my husband not to start any new projects for my display this year (still have several to finish from last year) and Home Depot is between my house and my daughter's school so where in the world do I hide the mirror film and 3 packs of red rope lights I "accidentally" bought this morning....

Thanks again!
Old 09-27-2010
Lunatic

Liked 21 times in 11 posts

LOL Daphne, You kill me. That is hilarious. Hmmmm, hide them in the bag with the new set of screw drivers you just knew he would love. hehehe.

Waldiddy, No, the box does not get more narrow. It is equal on all sides. The effect is created by mirrors. The mirrors just keep reflecting themselves so they seem to go on forever. If possible, get a mirror and hold it in front of another mirror. Size doesn't matter (not here anyway). As you look into the mirror you will see the other mirror repeatedly reflected back so it looks like dozens of mirrors. Same principle here.
Old 09-29-2010
Volat cum ea suas alas.

Liked 4 times in 4 posts

You are assuming that I can SEE MYSELF in a mirror.....(sharpening fangs).
Old 09-29-2010
Fearless

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Hey Just Whisper, I found a solution to make my husband forget about the stuff and the new prop. I had to upgrade ALL my lighting for the display, when he saw the confirmation email with the amount, he forgot all about the stuff for the bottomless pit even with it scattered all over the great room with the naked witch. I still can't figure out how he made his face actually make that expression. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have asked how he did it....

I just hope he doesn't come up with a way to stuff me in the pit he, he....

And for anyone else who is using a plastic garbage can for the pit, do NOT use duct tape to hold the rope lights in even as a temporary thing. Not saying I did it but... Even if you use tons of it, it is like gooey snakes everywhere especially after you turn the lights on for a bit! Drill holes in the sides and use cable ties, it works like a dream.
Old 09-29-2010
Lunatic

Good advice Daphne, I am glad you didn't actually try that tape thing first. LOL I wish you had gotten pics of the hubby's new expression. Maybe we could have fashioned a prop after it. hehehe
Old 09-29-2010
Fearless

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Yeah, good thing on the tape!

Oh yeah, asking him to hold on just a sec while I grab a camera and capture this moment of our lives would have gone over significantly better he, he!

Speaking of memorable moments... What moron makes a roll of 2 way reflective film and doesn't put anything on the OUTSIDE of the box that you need some Application Solution and you only find out AFTER you have made 3 more trips to HD/Lowes for other things, get home, open the box and have to unroll half the roll to find the directions? I looked all over the box when I bought it and nothing indicates you need anything. I did realize I needed a squeegee so I went to Lowes today to get that, not realizing that now I have to go back AGAIN to get the solution that I should NOT thin with water. This stuff better not be water. It also says not to use it on plexi or that type of thing. Sure glad I bought acrylic ha, ha!!!

We won't discuss the last minute styrofoam fixes that required me to repaint some stuff in the bottom and I sure am glad I didn't spill black paint on the mask and hand in the bottom THREE times.

Oh, and I just found out that it sure is a good thing that I didn't forget to take my wedding ring off and end up with a big glob of DRIED hot glue on it and the band...

Ok, I'm better now. International coffee anyone?
Old 09-29-2010
Lunatic

Wow, Daphne. You are just a fountain of informative what not to do's. Good thing you thought everything through so we could all operate more safely.

The first time I bought mirrored film (around 2005 or 06) it came with the solution, a small utility knife and the squeegee. So I went and bought some for this project and assumed it came with. Glad I stopped to read the box. I noticed it didn't say it on the box. Darn, you pay$25 for something it should come with all that. That solution is costly. I used mine on plexiglass and it works great. Except a few years ago I got a dried stain on the glass and now the plastic doesn't want to stick there and makes a crease. It is not real noticeable during display so no worry here.
Old 09-29-2010
Slowly Losing My Mind

Liked 1 time in 1 post

I've said it before and I'll say it again... that is a great effect!
Old 10-11-2010
Fearless

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Just Whisper, did you have any issues with other lights reflecting off the top piece of plexi? Other than a stand and sound effect to trigger the strobe for the guy in the bottom, mine is almost done so I took it outside last night to check it out. Due to 2 street lights and a neighbor's light they always leave on, I couldn't place it anywhere that light didn't reflect off the top or allow you to see your own reflection. Either of them wrecked the effect.

I'm curious if building a tunnel or shroud of some sort to limit light from the sides would help. I was thinking of making a cylinder (both ends open) out of chicken wire and covering it in black mylar or a black garbage bag (spray painted in flat black to kill the shine). It would slide over the top of the can. That way you would look through it as opposed to just looking in the garbage can.

My plexi is within a few inches of the top of the can. This problem never ever occurred to me. I was worried it would be too bright out there but the reflection issue never crossed my mind.. UGG.

Just when you see the light at the end of the tunnel and think you are going to make it.... You hear the whistle on the train blow.
Old 10-11-2010
Uneasy

Liked 0 times in 0 posts

Now that's pretty cool! Looks like a bottomless pit to hell!!