Haunt Forum banner

Budget Bodies

292K views 56 replies 39 participants last post by  Jody.Elliott 
#1 · (Edited)
I came up with this idea last year when I needed to make a butt-load of bodies for a meat-locker type room. If you can get on good terms with your local furniture retailer, there is alway going to be an abundance of body building scrap that they will let you have for free (ask nicely folks....this is an awesome resource!!) These bodies ended up costing me about 30 cents each....just the price of the tape used to wrap them up and a few squirts of red paint!
I don't know if a how-to is really necessary, but let me know if you have any questions.....

Packing Foam ( EVERYTHING comes wrapped in this stuff.....free-free-free)
Plastic bags (sofa or mattress packing....free-free-free!)
red spraypaint
colored duct taped (cheapo from Biglots)

Body forms wrapped up and ready to bag

A few hanging in my front yard (yes, my neighbors love me)

the group laid out and ready to go to the haunt.....which one is real?

in the haunt!

See less See more
#9 ·
I think the one in the denim pants just might be real, but then again, knowing you, maybe not:D
Laurie found waldo.....

Ya know....in the actual haunt, I was dressed up as one of the bodies.....he he he......I wore black pants so my legs couldnt be seen, and had someone wrap me up just like the other dummies, including the duct tape, and just stood amongst the bodies.......:cool:
The room was dark exept for a stobe, so you couldn't tell I was there until I let out a huge scream of pain.....then they had to try to find their way out of the room through another dozen bodies.:D

#16 ·
Hey Dave,
Can't say for sure. I guess because I know they are fake but they look so real. It is a laugh of appreciation.

It is a good question. A really good gory prop usually draws a chuckle from me. Scareshack's gory challenge entry did the same thing. Usually, it is a laugh followed by, "That is awesome!" Maybe I should be psychoanalyzed or something but I think it is part of my morbid sense of humor. I know the prop was built to freak people out, and if it is done well then I appreciate it.

Trust me, it is not meant to be insulting to your work. I called my hubby in from the other room to look at your pics. He thought they looked real too.

Sorry, if I made you think I was making fun of your props. Certainly, it was the opposite. It is difficult to make a really good gory prop. You pulled it off without spending hardly any money.

I don't do gore in my little garage haunt because of all the small kids in the neighborhood, but if I did I would be trying to copy your bodies. As it is, they are scared of my lame static props, that don't even come close to reality.

I like gore. I will be making an appointment with the shrink tomorrow.

BTW, I liked the Waldo photo.

#17 ·
:D no sorry neccesary HB! I was just curious, that's all.

also, you don't have to wrap the bodies up like a body bag......dress them up and slap a mask on 'em for a real cheap character prop that doesn't look like a bloated dummy stuffed with leaves.

#22 · (Edited)
wait a second here everyone....I am in no way mad or upset.....just curious, that's all! believe me....it cracked me up to have them all laid out on the lawn, and cracked me up even more to see my neighbor across the street shaking his head as he pulled in from work....but he knows what to expect out of my garage...he laughs along with the rest of us!

My biggest laugh came when the open pickup truck pulled away from my house with 3 coffins and a mounded pile of bodies headed for my haunt!

#23 · (Edited)
I figured you had a morbid sense of humor (bodies everywhere) but you never know how somebody is going to react to something written. I have a dry sense of humor that, at times, doesn't go over well in writing.

Thanks for the tip about the bodies. I think I am going to use your method to make some dummies. I guess I need to make friends with the local furniture stores.:D

Still laughing...my nephew just saw the pics. He likes them too.

#27 ·
Hey dave I was searching around the 'net looking for cheap realistic bodies in bags and came across your post making them from foam packaging and furniture bags. We are opening on Sat. night (oct 13) and these bags are crucial to the room I'm designing, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Judging by your picutures it looks like I just roll the foam up to make the arms and legs and then tape them at the shoulder, wrist, elbow, knee, thigh and ankle. Those look easy enough, however I'm not sure how you do the torso or head, do you just wad the foam into the correct shape and start taping? Thanks for your help, I just don't have a lot of time for trial and error.

#31 ·
I made body bags last year using clear painters drop cloths for the bag (tied at the top and bottom with sisal rope) and used two pairs of pantyhose and one knee-high stocking (head) for the body. This worked out pretty good and was cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.