Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i took several other photos that put into a little slide show - make sure you check it out at 1031FAN\'S SIGN OF THE TIMES ENTRY remix by 1031fan - Photobucket

as for the price breakdown - the list is rather extensive so i will break it down into seperate parts

---WOODEN SIGN AND SAW---(2.00)
all 2x4 lumber was found in front of peoples houses on bulky pick up day - a board here and there and after several days of scrounging i had enough 2x4 to make the table for the saw and the support for the sign - - FREE
wood that makes the sign was taken from pallats and screwed together -FREE
handful of misc. dry wall screws bought in bulk from farm store - 2.00
1/2 foam for saw blade - found in dumpster (yes - this is a new blade from the one i had in last years haunt - i traced the old one) - FREE
scrap piece of ply wood on saw - FREE
2 in. pvc endcap for saw found in trash - FREE

---SEVERED HEADS---(14.70)
skull - 2 part urethane - 2.50 @ 2 = 5.00
head - latex - 4.00 (cut in half and used for both)
1/2 can of Great Stuff Foam - 2.00
handful of bag-o-webs - .10
handful of tissues - .10
2 cup of latex for adhesive and buildup - 2.50
1/4 can clear coat spray- .50
several brushfulls of misc wood stains - .50

---HALF CORPSE---(22.00)
old beat up bucky torso bought at PA haunt gathering from a man selling out all his haunted attraction stuff at discount prices - 15.00
nylons - 1.00
tissues - .25
bag-o-web - .25
2 cups latex - 2.50
1/2 can great stuff foam - 2.00
1/4 can clear coat spray -.50
several brushfuls of misc. woodstains - .50
marble - FREE

---PAINT AND MISC. PIECES--- (5.95)
bottle of craft paint - .99 @ 4 (2 red 1 black 1/3 blue 1/3 yellow 1/3 white) 4.00
1/2 cup of brown latex OOPS paint -.25
3 pieces of paper with ink on - .10??
several brushfuls of latex to adhere paper - .10
1/4 can of clear coat spray - .50
meat hook - 1.00 yard sale
rope - free in someones trash

------TOTAL------ $44.65 ----

(this number is probably very high, because i didn't know how to pro rate most of the misc. products - so i just aimed high to be on the safe side)

BRIEF HOW TO

i started with the basic construction of the sign - screwing the boards together with a brace on the back - added legs and supports to keep it from tipping - same for the saw table

the saw was cut using a jigsaw from a piece of foam and screwed into the pvc endcap which was screwed into the table

the heads were fun to make - see my progress pics on the other posts on the forum - basically it was a skull that i cast in 2 part urethane foam from a bucky head and a face/head i cast in latex from a severed head prop - the 2 were joined with great stuff - latex and tissues and webs were built up to create muscles and other gore - painted with cheapo craft paints/airbrushed with watered down craft paint/wood stain added for color depth/blood splattered with cheap watered down craft paint/clear coated to make wet

the corpse was given some wood stain before i started to knock down the bright white of the bones - great stuff was added - and tissues/webs/and latex was used to build up after nylons were stretched across and coated with latex - marble was glued into place - painting technique was the same as the heads

----------------------------------------------

this was a fun project that was enjoyable to make and will be used in a butcher type room in this years haunt - hope you like it

riley

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
very nice 31..
i need a few like that next yr.
are bbqed ribs extra?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys! place your orders now! - yep lilly - the bbq sauce is a bit extra - ill let you in on a family recipe - the sauce is a mixture of blood, teryiaki (sp)? and a hint of bone marrow - quite tasty! and yea VH - i think that one on the right needs to be ground up into some hamburg - to disguise the rotting pieces of flesh - what they dont know wont hurt them right?!?! - riley

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Lunch Time!

Great Job!
I better get started on mine!!! haha

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I usually don't like gore in haunts cause I prefer to be scared and freaked out by atmosphere...but this gets two thumbs up in my book! Probably cause it has dark humor to it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
contrary to what this entry shows - haah - i am not a huge fan of blood/gore in haunts either - i think its overused - cliche - and people automatically think that because they smeared red paint on the wall its scary - but its not - the room that this is put in will most likely be the only room that there will be blood in - the way i see it, when i use it, i want it to be appropriate, tell a story, and create a HUGE shock factor - like OMG! this room was used to mutilate people! - thats why i try to show a "history" of wear and tear on the saw and the sign - its basically impossible to see, but there are many layers of different colors of blood that when you see it in person, it looks like it was used countless times and not just taken a brush and slapped it on in one minute (saw 3 is a great example - when they get back in the bathroom and theres blood all over the floor - you can TELL its old blood and that something happened there - not just slapped there for the gross effect)

sry - that got kinda long - but skeletonowls post was really accurate about how i feel about blood in a haunted house so i figured id chip in too - thanks guys! - riley

1 - 20 of 61 Posts