Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the thread for all discussion concerning the "2010 Technological Terror Challenge."

Please refer to this thread for the official rules.

Everyone be completely aware that winners from the previous challenge (2010 $20 Prop Challenge) are not eligible to win prizes in the current challenge. You may still enter, but your entry will not be in the running for a prize.

Feel free to ask questions, make comments and by all means... talk amongst yourselves. :D

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And before anyone asks, yes you can use other electronics and tech gadgetry in addition to the motor/power supply/prop. Feel free to use audio boards, prop controllers, pneumatics, etc...

I'm really hoping to see some cool stuff come out of this one given the higher-than-normal price point and the level of creativity our members have here. :)

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
1,536 Posts
While I plan on entering, I expect to see such marvelous entries from the talent here as to make my humble offerings ...well...humble. 100 bucks? There is going to be some pretty cool stuff here.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I plan on entering, I expect to see such marvelous entries from the talent here as to make my humble offerings ...well...humble. 100 bucks? There is going to be some pretty cool stuff here.
I set the price high so people could add controllers, sound and other gadgetry into the mix. With the thrifty bunch we have here, I also expect to see some DIY circuits thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

I'm hoping to enter, certainly, it'll be homebrew circuits and controllers from me!!
I'm in the uk, so have the fun of currency conversion.

This is my first dealings with these competitions, so have a few questions if ok?
(I joined after the last competition had been run and closed)

1. If I'm using a microcontroller, I assume I just put in the cost of the micro?
(I assume there is no need to allow for cost of dev tools etc)

About the 3 required items (I'm assuming exempt from budget inclusion):

2. Can I use a PC power supply as the no cost to project psu?
3. The prop - if homemade, how much of a prop can this be to be classed as no-cost
(chicken wire frame, mache covered, painted etc) - would you then just use the budget for animation, lights, sounds, effects etc?

4, where the rules say that commercially available stuff from scrap is to be costed at 30%, say for example you get a TV (I'm not, well not intending to, but as an example) from ebay at say $5 and use it or bits of it, do you just cost that as $5 if you can prove it was purchased at that price (same for car boot and yard sales etc)

Also, do people have an ongoing thread about their project or keep it secret until near the end?

Many thanks,
Si

·
Super Moderator
64,131 Posts
I'll answer the really easy part, GG:)

Most people keep their projects secret (that's part of the fun and excitement) or post teaser pictures. However, there is nothing barring you from posting a progress thread if you wish to do so. Since I've been on the Forum, I've only seen that done once.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
This question is along the same line as GG's above:

I can see buying a prop, like a static zombie, and then adding the necessary components for animation (motor, power supply) and it fitting in the "no cost" definition. But if I build a prop for the contest, I'll be designing it with the intention of animating it. The addition of animation won't be a "hack" or an afterthought, it'll be designed into the prop right from the start, if you know what I mean.
Under these circumstances, would I need to include the cost of all of the materials needed to build the prop?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. If I'm using a microcontroller, I assume I just put in the cost of the micro?
(I assume there is no need to allow for cost of dev tools etc)

About the 3 required items (I'm assuming exempt from budget inclusion):

2. Can I use a PC power supply as the no cost to project psu?
3. The prop - if homemade, how much of a prop can this be to be classed as no-cost
(chicken wire frame, mache covered, painted etc) - would you then just use the budget for animation, lights, sounds, effects etc?

4, where the rules say that commercially available stuff from scrap is to be costed at 30%, say for example you get a TV (I'm not, well not intending to, but as an example) from ebay at say $5 and use it or bits of it, do you just cost that as $5 if you can prove it was purchased at that price (same for car boot and yard sales etc)

Also, do people have an ongoing thread about their project or keep it secret until near the end?

Many thanks,
Si
To answer your questions:
1. Yes, just the cost of the micro and any components needed to be added to the circuit to get the controller to do it's thing. Do not include any of the dev stuff (programming boards, software, etc).

2. Yes, you can use a PC power supply at no cost.

3. The only items in the prop that would be included in the budget would be anything that is directly related to the animation (armatures, linkages, cams, etc...)

4. IT would be the item's cost NEW multiplied by .3 . The reason for this is we like to treat these contests in a fashion where if somebody else were to go out and build the same prop themselves, they would know what to expect it to cost realistically and not under some hyper-ideal situation.

This question is along the same line as GG's above:

I can see buying a prop, like a static zombie, and then adding the necessary components for animation (motor, power supply) and it fitting in the "no cost" definition. But if I build a prop for the contest, I'll be designing it with the intention of animating it. The addition of animation won't be a "hack" or an afterthought, it'll be designed into the prop right from the start, if you know what I mean.
Under these circumstances, would I need to include the cost of all of the materials needed to build the prop?
As stated above in reply to GG's question, the only parts of your home-made prop to be added to the budget would be armatures, linkages, cams or anything else that contributes to an animation.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shiatsu Massager, Wiper Motor, Reindeer Motor and similar motors ran off of electrical current would be considered Technical? I know this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure that this fell under the contest rules.
Yes, all acceptable.

·
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4,600 Posts
Thank you! I usually just make a prop and usually do not know what category it falls under. I have something in mind that I wanted to make for my haunt that I might enter in this contest. I love these challenges they get me so motivated. :) Ever since the $20 dollar prop challenge I have been non stop with my prop making.

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
YAAYYYYY I love contests!!!! Whoo hoo!!!! Brain is buzzing with ideas! hmm, can I use Fan motors??

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
Not unless you find a way to knock the RPM down to less than 75 RPM. That's one of the requirements of the motor.
what about the osilating one??? the part that makes it go back and forth, not the part that makes the blade spin.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.