Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
what about the osilating one??? the part that makes it go back and forth, not the part that makes the blade spin.
That could be tricky. Two reasons - fan motors are generally kept cool by their own airflow, and the oscillating feature is really powered by the same motor as spins the blades. There's a small gearbox in the housing that slows down the rotation. Some fan motors will burn out if run without the blades.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
OK, so say I'm using a store bought prop, but I'm adding to it. Part of what I'm adding is static, and part of it is necessary for animation. Am I correct in thinking that the static elements would count as part of the freebie prop and the animation parts would be counted in the $100 limit, or am I off base?

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
That could be tricky. Two reasons - fan motors are generally kept cool by their own airflow, and the oscillating feature is really powered by the same motor as spins the blades. There's a small gearbox in the housing that slows down the rotation. Some fan motors will burn out if run without the blades.
that's not been a problem for me. two of my props work from that. if you let air flow in and don't cover the motor with anything heavy its fine. and you can also make new smaller blades to keep it cool too.

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
just the cost of the micro and any components needed to be added to the circuit to get the controller to do it's thing. Do not include any of the dev stuff (programming boards, software, etc).
What's dev stuff? Does this mean that if one were using an SSC-32 and VSA software to control the mechanics, only the SSC-32 board would be part of the cost?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What's dev stuff? Does this mean that if one were using an SSC-32 and VSA software to control the mechanics, only the SSC-32 board would be part of the cost?
Correct. I won't have you guys include software, programmers, etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

Ok, I have my idea, it's going to be a big challenge for me, but will try to get it done in time.

I'm going to keep a journal of progress, failures and success, with pictures - but not for public release until I submit my challenge entry.
(If I don't get sorted for challenge entry, I'll still release it after)

Si

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Hi,

Ok, I have my idea, it's going to be a big challenge for me, but will try to get it done in time.

I'm going to keep a journal of progress, failures and success, with pictures - but not for public release until I submit my challenge entry.
(If I don't get sorted for challenge entry, I'll still release it after)

Si
Cool. And I'll kick back and drink beer...thinking fondly of your efforts. I'll take pictures of course....but not for public release.

Seriously....can't wait to see. And thanks to Zombie for putting together two contests in one year.

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Looks like fun! I'm pretty new to using motors though. Where's a good place to get them?
Wiper motors....go to www.monsterguts.com. (Highly recommend you get the pigtail connection.)

For deer motors and others...check online at Electronic Goldmine, AllElectronics, and other suppliers.

For Shiatsu motors...check the local Good Will and thrift stores.

·
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4,599 Posts
Ok I had an idea that would go over budget, so I have to scrap it. If I can think of another idea I will give it a try. I basically just want to enter to get another prop for my display. We have so many haunters that are so talented with the Technical aspect. I just wanted to say if it wasn't for all the talented technical props on this forum I would of only had static props in my yard. I've learned so much in the two years I've been on this forum and I know I have so much more to learn. If I enter or not I'm still really looking forward to everyones props for this contest. Also thanks again Zombie-F for putting up with all these questions and taking the time to do this.

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
1,536 Posts
I am right there with you Joisey. I would just have (shudder) store bought props, if I had not discovered this sight. The terrifying talent here inspired my graveyard fence, my fcg and all my animated gravestones. They all showed me how easy it is to actually do. I also like the challenges because it forces me to try out something new, and adds another piece to my haunt.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Hey johnny, what do you use for that design work?
Your gonna laugh. It's power point, saved as gifs and then animated. I have to do so much power point for work that I use it for way more than I should. It's good for drawing things out just to see how they work, but I would not recommend it for anything more than just sketching out ideas.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.