Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wow I have been waiting for this one! Now what make, What to make?
I'm in the same boat. I've been driving my wife crazy running ideas by her. I have a few ideas, I'm just not sure how to integrate them into a cohesive whole.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you allowed to use stepper/servo motors in addition to the required (< 75RPM, non-servo/non-stepper motor? Or are they completely forbidden?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Are you allowed to use stepper/servo motors in addition to the required (< 75RPM, non-servo/non-stepper motor? Or are they completely forbidden?
You may use one of those in addition to the required motor.

The required motor has to actually do something, so you can't just put one in there for the hell of it and not make it do something while using a stepper or servo to do something.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well, my entry will be kindergarten stuff compared to a lot of the entries I know I will be up against. And I know that beautiful first place prize will not be going home with me. But like most of you who are in my boat (get out of it, BTW, if you aren't going to help paddle) I am just hoping to expand my knowledge and add another prop. It isn't even original, but it will be my first successful shiatsu prop. Been trying to build one for 2 years. But don't tell any one. It's a surprise.

Wow, Joisey... A television? What the hell were you going to build? LOL

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well, my entry will be kindergarten stuff compared to a lot of the entries I know I will be up against. And I know that beautiful first place prize will not be going home with me. But like most of you who are in my boat (get out of it, BTW, if you aren't going to help paddle) I am just hoping to expand my knowledge and add another prop. It isn't even original, but it will be my first successful shiatsu prop. Been trying to build one for 2 years. But don't tell any one. It's a surprise.

It was so good I had to say it twice....LOL sorry for the double post.

·
BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4,599 Posts

I was going to build some kind of caged person, but the image was shown on a television with moving hands that came out of the box. I will post it when I decided to make it because I still want to use it for my haunt.

·
1,155 Posts
You may use one of those in addition to the required motor.

The required motor has to actually do something, so you can't just put one in there for the hell of it and not make it do something while using a stepper or servo to do something.
We may use one and only one servo in the build or can we use as many as we want as long as we stay within budget?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I read through this thread but couldn't find a reference to whether prop triggers/timers must be included in the cost. An example would be a PIR-triggered timer that keeps the motor going for whatever time period. Some motorized props aren't really effective if they're running constantly. What's the verdict on that?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
We may use one and only one servo in the build or can we use as many as we want as long as we stay within budget?
As many as you want as long as you don't go over budget.

I read through this thread but couldn't find a reference to whether prop triggers/timers must be included in the cost. An example would be a PIR-triggered timer that keeps the motor going for whatever time period. Some motorized props aren't really effective if they're running constantly. What's the verdict on that?
There are only 3 things that add no cost, the motor, the power supply and the prop. So if you need to add a PIR, timer, or other circuit its cost will be included in your budget.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I've been busy working on getting some more prizes thrown into the mix. It's not easy sometimes so if you own or know of any companies willing to put up a prize (tech prize would be appreciated but not necessary) please send them my way. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, goodness, this is tempting. If (big if) I have time to get something together for this, I will. I have a huge build list just with static props this year so there's a good chance it won't happen. The only place I can easily swap out a static for a motorized prop isn't a very safe place for a motorized prop.

Screw it. I can bust out something large and ridiculous making gratuitous use of cheap disco ball motors for the requisite technological element :lolkin:

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
yay, I was able to work for most of the day today on my prop. I really like it so far, it is starting to look like a prop now, instead of just the parts it's made of lol.

Question: So far I got all my prop supplys from curbys, do I still have to add a price on to them for the purpose of the contest???

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My prop is finished. Not great...just finished.

[Quote from Zombie-F: There are only 3 things that add no cost, the motor, the power supply and the prop.]

It was my understanding the prop does not figure into the equation. Was I wrong?

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
My prop is finished. Not great...just finished.

[Quote from Zombie-F: There are only 3 things that add no cost, the motor, the power supply and the prop.]

It was my understanding the prop does not figure into the equation. Was I wrong?
*confused*
umm.....the motor....the power supply...and the prop?...what DOES cost money???

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LOL In my case just the motion sensor. I don't have enough technological know how to get the cost of a prop up to $100 even if had $100. Is that sad, or what? I just cannot compete with people like Otaku. So I will just admire their work and keep making my feeble little $10-$20 props. :)

41 - 60 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.