Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, first off I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post so feel free to move it to a more appropriate section if necessary.

Now, for the past Five or so years I have been doing a Home Haunt in my yard, it gets bigger every year, and this past season we had an area around 700 - 800 Sqft. to work with. Every year the crowd gets bigger & bigger and it has gotten to the point that it is hard to accommodate so many people at our location.

Luckily and a bit scarily we have basically been given the go-ahead to set up a haunt at a local government owned park called "The Field of Dreams."
( http://www.fieldofdreamsnh.org/ ) it is HUGE, it has an out-door stage, it is always nicely kept up, there are paths through the woods, a enormous playground and at least 2 large fields, along with great parking as it has a good sized parking-lot and the high school is only a few hundred feet away that has easily 500 + spots.

Now this is my last year of high school I want to go really big with my Haunt this year and I see this as the perfect opportunity to do so. But I am facing a few issues and questions that are holding me back as of right now.

- The Number One Concern that I have is vandalism, since it is a public park and gets a good amount of foot traffic through it everyday.

- Security to handle what I expect may be a huge turnout.

- Setup, our time will be limited and more than likely we will be in a situation of setting up in the morning and opening the same night.

- How long to open for, right now I'm thinking that a weekend sounds good, but it is a debate between 1 night vs 2.

But I am very excited about the project, and I would love to hear your input and opinions, if you want any more info about the location feel free to ask or if you are in the Salem NH area and would like to help out I would be ecstatic to work with you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes. If nothing else is thought of, we will more than likely be reffering to it as the Field of Screams.. Haha so original :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
The biggest problem I would have doing that is security. I mean, we all worry about that at home. Worrying about it in a public, outdoor space would be crazy. Is there anyway you guys could set up and tear down most of the stuff just on the nights you are running it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest problem I would have doing that is security. I mean, we all worry about that at home. Worrying about it in a public, outdoor space would be crazy. Is there anyway you guys could set up and tear down most of the stuff just on the nights you are running it?
That is exactly the main issue I have with doing it, and that is what we would have to do. It is definitely possible but its gonna take a HUGE push to get everything set up and taken down all in one day. I think it all depends on the team that we get working on this, and how complex we want to get with it. Just get in and get out with anything that we don't want to risk and we should be good. Of course though that only works in a perfect world.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well, being in a public place, if there was not a way to store my stuff away from people, there is no way I would chance doing it. If you were able to have some type of on site trailer or something to store props and such after closing, it might be possible. You know if you leave anything out for people to have access to it, somebody will steal or vandalize, that's just the way it is.

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
If I were in the area I'd be glad to give you a hand. A severed hand, a few skulls, and throw in some spiders to boot. But I won't be there, sorry. Are going to be getting a lot of help? It sounds like a big job. But heck, you're young, and crazy. You have lots of energy, and ideas, and did I mention you're crazy? But you're in good company here, because we all on here are crazy too. Check the search section at the top of the page, and put in things like public haunt, crowd control, and am I crazy for trying this? A lot of people on here have public haunts, and share their experiences. As for leaving it set up overnight for a two day haunt, would the cops help out by keeping an eye on it since it's sanctioned by the local government?

·
Official HF Jerk v1.0
3,104 Posts
I have to agree with the others. If there were no way to secure the place, and no place to store my props/lighting/foggers, etc... There is NO Way I would set up in a public place. I don't trust people at all, not even security guards. People will steal things just because they don't want to have to pay for something, for a variety of reasons (kleptomania, drug addiction, generalized worthlessness) If I were you, I'd keep doing a home haunt until you can locate a building to set up inside, or a public place with a storage building.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, being in a public place, if there was not a way to store my stuff away from people, there is no way I would chance doing it. If you were able to have some type of on site trailer or something to store props and such after closing, it might be possible. You know if you leave anything out for people to have access to it, somebody will steal or vandalize, that's just the way it is.
Now that you mention it a onsite trailer would work perfectly & is definitely do-able. But in the end it really depends on if we want to run it for more than one night, which if we don't then we will be able to have everything set up and taken down the same day with no problem as long as we have decent help which should be to hard to get either. and yeah it is sad that that is the way it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were in the area I'd be glad to give you a hand. A severed hand, a few skulls, and throw in some spiders to boot. But I won't be there, sorry. Are going to be getting a lot of help? It sounds like a big job. But heck, you're young, and crazy. You have lots of energy, and ideas, and did I mention you're crazy? But you're in good company here, because we all on here are crazy too. Check the search section at the top of the page, and put in things like public haunt, crowd control, and am I crazy for trying this? A lot of people on here have public haunts, and share their experiences. As for leaving it set up overnight for a two day haunt, would the cops help out by keeping an eye on it since it's sanctioned by the local government?
Yes I am just young and crazy, and I'm glad I have found others of my kind :jol:. My family has alot of connections with the fire department and police as my dad has worked as everything from a forest firefighter, to an emt so it shouldn't be to hard to get help from them, but as I look deeper into this I think that I'm going to be restricting it to a one night endevour as it would make it much more manageable in the long run.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my suggestion

I seen on the website they have a volley ball court by what I have searched they are 30'X60' 1800sq ft not bad for a first year haunt so surround it with 12' walls or 4'x8' wall panels with extra height with a sideways panel on top. that way it would be secure. screw plywood over doorways when closed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to agree with the others. If there were no way to secure the place, and no place to store my props/lighting/foggers, etc... There is NO Way I would set up in a public place. I don't trust people at all, not even security guards. People will steal things just because they don't want to have to pay for something, for a variety of reasons (kleptomania, drug addiction, generalized worthlessness) If I were you, I'd keep doing a home haunt until you can locate a building to set up inside, or a public place with a storage building.
Thanks for the advice, just an update to my original post though, I will be able to have an onsite storage container and I believe I will be changing it to a one day event. But yes I see where you are coming from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I seen on the website they have a volley ball court by what I have searched they are 30'X60' 1800sq ft not bad for a first year haunt so surround it with 12' walls or 4'x8' wall panels with extra height with a sideways panel on top. that way it would be secure. screw plywood over doorways when closed.
Yes I took the volleyball court into consideration, but I'm sure that if they wanted to, they would break into it, so I'm considering taking more of a Haunted Trail approach which will make the setup/tear down alot easier since it will only require a few temporary walls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update to the original post for everyone.

- Onsite storage (lockable) is possible.
- Highly considering 1 Day instead of two.
- Possibly taking a Haunted Trail approach rather than a full haunt to keep the overall setup to a minimum.

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
lol Then it's going to be a long night! I just went to the search option, and put in public haunts and there are pages and pages of just the links, not to mention when you click on a link, there are pages and pages of ideas. You could also put "haunted trails" in the search option, and get pages of ideas on just that subjuct. We like to share a lot around here. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha I guess it is then, thanks for all of your help. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the status of the haunt.

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
Don't leave! We need fresh brains, I mean ideas, yeah, that's it. We need fresh ideas around here. We like new blood, I mean members, new members here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't leave! We need fresh brains, I mean ideas, yeah, that's it. We need fresh ideas around here. We like new blood, I mean members, new members here.
Haha what? I'm not going anywhere I was thanking you for your advice as you and everyone else have led me in a good direction and that is what i was looking for out of this thread. Lol I am certainly not leaving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts