Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Administrator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thread for all discussion concerning the "2016 $25 Prop Challenge".

Please refer to this thread for the official rules.

Feel free to ask questions, make comments and by all means... talk amongst yourselves. :D

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:YAY! I'm throwing my skeleton hand in the ring. Yay!:D

·
Clean "cut"
27,468 Posts
Here's hoping we get lots and lots of entries!!!

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
^Mad at you? Never!:)

Zombie-F's point was that, if a black light was needed to see a feature of the prop, then you had to price it into your budget. Best example is using paint that can only be seen under black light to put a hidden message on a haunt sign. Anyone else making the same prop from scratch would need to buy a black light to make the "hidden message" feature be seen. Your ghosts, however, look like ghosts under any lighting.

The gray area may have been the case of using a brightener on fabric, which then requires a black light to really pop visually. White fabric will still glow under black light to a degree, although not as spectacularly as it does with brightener, so you could always have entered one of your fabulous ghosts without it and merely made the suggestion that using a brightener would give an even more impressive effect under different lighting. Either way, we would love to see one of your creations join in the contest:jol:

·
8,670 Posts
:jol:I'm all over the place about what I could make......hhhmmmmm....what to make? What to make?.......:googly:

·
Registered
950 Posts
OK, I have a question about how to figure the cost of a used item.

One project idea I'm tossing around will incorporate a Styrofoam shipping container like medicine or food would be shipped in. I have picked them up for 25 cents to $2 each. So to figure the material price would I need to check ebay (or similar) for the lowest price and then divide by .3 as you would for the scrap prices?

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts

One project idea I'm tossing around will incorporate a Styrofoam shipping container like medicine or food would be shipped in. I have picked them up for 25 cents to $2 each. So to figure the material price would I need to check ebay (or similar) for the lowest price and then divide by .3 as you would for the scrap prices?
I don't recall ever seeing Styrofoam shipping containers treated as scrap for pricing purposes for any of the challenges. If you paid for them, you would use the price you paid for your cost. Hauntiholik can confirm or give a different ruling next time she visits this thread.

·
Administrator
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Go with the cost range of Styrofoam shipping container that is closest to what you are using. It doesn't historically fall into the scrap category.

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
Go for it, Hog! The more, the merrier - or creepier, this being a Halloween contest:jol:

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
I have a couple of things in mind. I'll have to see what materials I can find in order to decide what I'll attempt. Notice I say attempt, not positive on what I can do.

·
8,670 Posts
:jol:I need to know how much monetary value I would need to put on a gourd I grew two years ago? I have a basket of them just sitting there waiting to star in a prop challenge. Seed cost? I am not sure....help....please...:(

·
Super Moderator
64,189 Posts
^Zombie-F historically considered things anyone could readily find from nature a freebie - sticks, plant parts, animal bones, shells, rocks, feathers, etc. Gourds aren't something you usually find lying around, though, so it may need an estimated price based on what most people would have to pay for a dried one at a farmers market or nursery. Hauntiholik will advise you.

·
8,670 Posts
:undecidekin:Hhhmmmm....I need to know asap because that will kind of decide if I can enter the challenge. I need to get my plans set. I wouldn't want to use a price at a Farmer's market since they are historically overpriced. I grew these myself, so all it took was seeds, soil and water. It's be like someone using a dried flower or something they made...well...with God's help.:undecidekin:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts