Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 Year of the Monkey $20 Prop Challenge Discussion

8K views 86 replies 15 participants last post by  Hauntiholik 
#1 ·
This is the thread for all discussion concerning the "2016 Year of the Monkey $20 Prop Challenge."

Please refer to this thread for the official rules.

Feel free to ask questions, make comments and by all means... talk amongst yourselves. :D

#11 ·
I also would like to make the monkey optional. The last $20 prop challenge didn't have a theme and I really liked the range of projects--from a jack-in-the-box to an inexpensive projector.
No and no. But, I'll make this easier. A monkey must be included in the design. Although the theme is based on the animal of the zodiac, we are only using the word "monkey". So, what comes to mind when you think of the word?

Monkey paw
Monkey fist knot
Flying monkey
Monkey mummy
Monkey spider
Cymbal-Playing Monkey
Sock monkey
Monkey flower
Monkey gargoyle
Zombie monkey
Voodoo monkey
Laboratory monkey prop
Pirate monkey
Monkey-fish hybrids ala P.T. Barnum
Monkey Brains Bowl
Monkey pumpkin
Monkey fur
Phantom of the Opera had a monkey atop a music box
Can you incorporate the sound of a monkey into your prop?
etc...

If you really have a prop that you want to make but you don't want to make a prop that involves a monkey theme, you can take a mulligan and use gorilla glue.

#22 ·
I just saw this competition today, so not much of a start and I have no idea where it's heading, but at least I can try and get something done over the next couple of weeks...maybe...

Hey, at least this got me to make a tape and paper monkey head tonight!

#24 · (Edited)
So I have a bit of direction now...not sure if it will work or if I have time to finish, but here is progress so far. This will just be a static paper mache prop focused on meeting H's monkey theme in a hopefully fun and goofy way...no shying away from the monkey theme or hedging my bets with gorilla glue. ;)

P5, I'm calling you out, you said you would be into this so lets see what you've got, hopefully I can finish in time and stand behind my challenge! :)

#33 ·
I have a heater on him to speed things up, but Saturday is still too close! It's safe to say my monkey prop will not be completed in time for the competition! It is coming along though and I'll still keep it within the rules and post pics when it's done (probably next weekend)...I tried, but I'm sending it off to a friend when it's done and I want a nice covering of mâché for durability, which is dragging the build out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.