Haunt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I only let groups up to 6 walk through my path so if the 10 or less is still to SOP, I am good. My problem will be staging people outside of my yard for the line that I have. I am sure everyone will be wearing a mask, so I am good there... LOL......

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You bring up a good point, possibly deserving of its own thread...

What are the legal aspects if:

- We, as haunters, setting things up - especially any sort of walk-through, interactive props, activities, etc
- At some point in time the governing body 'cancels Halloween'
- ToTs still show up and we interact with them in any manner other than to say 'go home'.

Seems at a minimum, this might result in a 'shut down' from the government? (We've had other instances reported of haunts being shut down due to various other reasons.) Moving up the ladder - could it result in a fine due to violating emergency orders? Opening up to a lawsuit if someone were to get sick in the few weeks following attending your haunt (whether or not they were actually infected at your haunt), up to/including a major lawsuit if someone were to become seriously ill or die in the weeks following. (again - whether or not they were actually infected at your haunt)

It seems in the lawsuit happy / zero personal responsibility culture of today, it would be very easy for someone to single out an 'illegal' haunt as the source of their troubles and file a lawsuit. Once that happens, even 'winning' the suit may feel like loosing, overall?

Possibly keep an eye open as to how local bars, restaurants, etc are handled for operating during a forced shutdown?

I don't know all the answers... just thinking out loud...on the old typewriter, here!
True, there are litigious happy people out there, but i counter that they were endangered first by being allowed to TOT in the 1st place. If there is a strict stay at home again, we probably will cancel any overt activity, but still decorate. Short of a full stay at home order, I say enter at own risk! We will do our part for safety, and we always livestream to our FB page on Halloween so we will have proof of the protocols in place. It's all we can do. Someone could sue during a normal year for anything as well 🤷‍♀[/QUOTE]

Given the litigious nature of ou r society, I can see somebody/anybody trying to sue for the potential contamination/spreading of the virus. And I can see parents being more likely to be willing have their kids get the view without the potential of getting ill, especially if the parents would be going through the haunt with the TOTs. Kids tend to want to touch EVERYTHING so the potential spread is even greater. Whether your city or county says no go to trick or treating as a whole, that's a whole different matter. I'd be tempted. to ask your city NOW whether that's a potential issue or not.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
We had made the decision after last year (well before COVID was even heard of), to stop doing a walk through haunt. We drew ridiculous crowds and social distancing was impossible. Our scaled back version this year will be a yard display and a tricked out facade in the driveway that TOT's can walk up to in order to view the projection effect we have planned, and get their candy. Interesting comments in this thread. My sense is that a home haunt would/could not be liable, unless perhaps TOT was banned due to risk of the contagion being spread. I'm looking at this year in the same light as putting up a Christmas display; You do it primarily for your own enjoyment and if people want to walk past or drive by and see it, that's fine. We have no way of anticipating our numbers but think they'll drop substantially simply out of concern for safety. There will be the teens and adults who have come year to year, who will likely stop by to see what we did. The groups that come to experience a walk through will possibly just leave and not hang around once they see we've scaled back. I think we'll have a fair number of people who might stop by. We can have one of our crew in the queue line make sure people keep a distance and see to it that groups are small. Handing out treats can be achieved safely by having one person (wearing gloves) hand each TOT a piece of candy. I think keeping the crowd moving is key. We've struggled with this in some years past simply due to the numbers we had however it may be more manageable this year. One thing we've always enjoyed was having media coverage, along with having a haunt page on FB. We have tentatively planned to have the yard and driveway viewable for a few nights leading up to Halloween, allowing people who want to come and see it to do so when it's not potentially crowded. We can talk to our news friends who usually do a story on us, to include the fact that we're no longer doing a walk through but just a display. This might also curtail our numbers. I'm on vacation the week of Halloween and can flip a couple switches to light things up so it can be seen from the street or sidewalk. A lot of unknowns for this year and I think we're all going to be feeling our way to an extent.:jol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
A friend has spoken to his local council, basically they said he had to adhere to the current guidelines for an event holder. At the moment:
* limit maximum number of people at any one time
* social distancing markers
* automated hand sanitizer dispenser (if they'll be touching anything)
* have a register (to record the name, date and time and contact details - phone number and/or address - of all attendees)

The rules for what is an "event" and what's just decorating your property are a little vague.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
I just want to wish everyone the best Haunt season, ever....it is so difficult to decide what is the right move...do you..and hope that it is right...but live your life....please!!!;) (Do not forget those little TOT's that end up in your yard...please, rejoice in the season):jol::jol::jol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
This will probably be the first time in twenty years that I don't do a Halloween event. I get 300-500 people coming through in a 4 hour window. I have a narrow, dark maze. There is no way to do Social Distancing, many people won't be wearing masks for protection. I don't want to be responsible for a cluster or hot spot. I will leave my yard decorations up but that is about it for this year unless things dramatically change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some neighbors have already expressed that I decorate, (I was going to anyway). I refuse to let COVID destroy all my Halloween fun. Will just do my usual yard display, not a walk in Haunt. And for the first time in 16 years, no Halloween Party (unless a miracle happens).
I guess we’ll need to rope off the sidewalk so TOT’ers / looky lous travel in one direction.
As for handing out Candy… I’m still at a loss. One thought was to get a Small concrete cinder tube or PVE pipe and use it as a Candy Shoot. Could be fun….
Definitely open to some thoughts of other Haunter’s

·
Registered
2 Posts
online treats?

There's been a lot of discussion about this in my neighborhood (and in my house). I still plan on decorating - both because I want to and because the neighbors have been asking, however I plan on keeping my gate closed so people can't come into my haunted yard or up to the porch and door.

I've drawn up a couple of ideas for a candy delivery system - a conveyor belt, a funnel chute, a plink-o like game, but the more and more we talk about it, the more and more it feel irresponsible to be handing out candy. This probably will feel different in every neighborhood, but in mine, I think it would be frowned upon.

My solution is to set up the yard haunt per usual, but I'm spending time drawing a 4 page comic book. I'm going to upload the comic as a PDF to a website and provide a QR code on tombstones all along the fence and have "online treats" instead of candy.

To keep it from being the equivalent of handing out raisins and toothbrushes, I'm trying to make the comic really specific to our block and the neighboring streets - maybe even naming the characters after some of the neighbor kids so it feels special. Will probably do it in black and white so they can print it out and color it if they want.

What do you think? Does it sound super fun or super lame?

·
Super Moderator
64,128 Posts
^I think it sounds super innovative, particularly if you’re including the kids as characters. They’ll likely still miss the candy, but what kid wouldn’t be excited about being a character in a book? I would definitely let them know ahead of time if at all possible, too, so they can be looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Halloween during Covid-19

I've been working on props, lighting, etc., to ready the outside of my house for Halloween. Lately, the people that always ask about my yearly haunt theme, or decorations have commented how unfortunate it is for their kids that Halloween won't be happening for them this year. The more comments I've heard, I started asking neighbors and others in the area, are you not letting your kids go out ToT'ing?!! Most people in my neighborhood and surrounding areas (HOa)...yes I did some foot work and Q&A, said they did not want their kids going out, getting candy from strangers, etc., and it really bummed me out. I always go all out when doing my home haunt but now I'm starting to wonder, should I even go through it all if most are not going to go out this year? I wonder if any others in the forum are having any of the same thoughts or encounters of parents not letting the kids out. Because of it being on a Saturday, Blue Moon and all that, besides the fact of no Halloween, I'm really bummed about this. The local haunts in the area are closed this year too so I can't even volunteer anywhere. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
We are decorating for Halloween this year!
We love that our yard brings the neighborhood together, and we believe
that in times like these, we need community to stay strong.
Besides, I refuse to let COVID-19 ruin my Halloween fun.
We will set up our usual yard display, but due to safety reasons,
we will NOT be having the indoor Haunt.
Boo…. I know.

I will be handing out Candy Halloween night (because I can’t disappoint the little goblins)
I’m in the process of figuring out how to hand out candy safely. I’m sure time will dictate that.
But in the meantime, I’m definitely open to some of your thoughts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We are decorating for Halloween this year!
We love that our yard brings the neighborhood together, and we believe
that in times like these, we need community to stay strong.
Besides, I refuse to let COVID-19 ruin my Halloween fun.
We will set up our usual yard display, but due to safety reasons,
we will NOT be having the indoor Haunt.
Boo…. I know.

I will be handing out Candy Halloween night (because I can’t disappoint the little goblins)
I’m in the process of figuring out how to hand out candy safely. I’m sure time will dictate that.
But in the meantime, I’m definitely open to some of your thoughts.

·
Typing Lunatic
2,881 Posts
I like forevermy3 above will be decorating my yard the beginning of October like normal. My neighborhood would be disappointed if I didn't I am sure of and on Halloween I will be on my porch to give out candy to anybody that shows up. I do not get that many TOTs compared to some on here, only around 70.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
After hearing from others, I think I'll put up my lighting this weekend to let others know I will be setting up. Hopefully it will draw enough attention to where people from outside the neighborhood will still come by as in previous years.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I have to admit, I considered not decorating this year.
But I too have had a number of people tell me that I need to do so.
They tell me that a lot of people in our town are looking forward to at least being able to walking or driving and to see it.
So I plan to provide them with something to see.
I hope to be able to hand out candy as well.
Will have to see how that can be worked out.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yup! Decorating as usual and hoping the powers that be allow TOT or at least leave it to the discretion of the parents/homeowners whether or not to participate. We're hoping we get some TOT action on Halloween night. We can do the social distancing thing, hand out candy safely (this is really not a huge deal), and still get a few scares in. I think Halloween will be much needed and well received this year. It's been a year of cancellations and let downs for kids and parents alike. Thinking the people that decorate and hand out treats will be heros to many, and greatly appreciated by families who are looking for some sense of tradition and normalcy. If they ban TOT this year, we're going to simply put it out to as many of our friends and family as we can that they can stop by for some Halloween fun and get a treat as well.

·
scottish devil
5,078 Posts
Halloween Cancelled

Hey everyone its been years since i posted in this section...Bytheway happy Fall everyone......Do you guys think Halloween will be cancelled this year as i mean in kids Trick r Treating...whats your views on this peeps....Please stay safe and healthy guys:)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Whew! I thought by the title, you were reporting an official cancellation! As far as 'what if' - I've been struggling with that a bit, myself. The local government has swooped in and cancelled pretty much everything so far...4th of July, "Founders day", other large gatherings, etc. I could easily see them 'cancelling' Halloween, too.

But then what does a cancelled Halloween look like? Using the 4th of July as a template, it means no formal gatherings / celebrations, but plenty - or even more - individual parties. So if all the mass 'Trunk or Treat' gatherings get banned, does that force more individual ToTs out on the streets like the old days? That has always been the 'core' / 'traditional' Halloween for me, anyway.... individual families or small group acquaintances going door-to-door. Possibly more of that this year if kids aren't allowed to walk a block through a mall or downtown street and load up on 10 pounds of candy?

I don't know, but keeping eyes/ears open as the season draws near! Still can't believe it's already September!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Look at people’s behavior on Memorial Day, 4th or July and now Labor Day. Still mass gatherings. I believe that Halloween will be slower this year, but there will still be plenty of TOTs. At least, unlike the other holidays, everyone will be wearing a mask.
I plan to set up a fun catapult system to safely hurl candy at the kids.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts