Haunt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going ahead this year, but minus a few things and having a clear path to follow in and out. I'm thinking of having a table at the exit with the treats on it, with a sign "1 bag per person". I've been doing treat bags for a few years - clear cellophane bags, sealed, each with the same treats in them.

I only get 100-150 Tots so not too much of a job to bag them up, this may not be suitable for those that get lots of ToTs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't plan on changing anything, including handing out candy. If parents want to ruin things for their children they can be the ones listening to them complain.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Additional discussion of this issue can be found in this thread:

https://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=46662
Thanks Roxy, didn't see that one.

I read how Hershey is keeping up on statistics with different states on if they will celebrate. They've stated that since most parents will not allow their kids to go ToT'ing..."Only about one-third of U.S. parents plan on sending their kids trick-or-treating this year, according to Matt Voda, CEO of marketing analytics firm OptiMine Software. "So that's the big dilemma for candy companies - how do you overcome that potential shortfall?"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/scared-covid-19-halloween-hershey-101245621.html

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,770 Posts
Like the rest of you, I am in the "wait & see" phase of this pandemic.

However, on my 5:30 a.m. walk this morning, I passed two houses on my block that had the windows decorated with lights and cutouts. One house still had the purple lights lit when I walked by. It made me feel good and even put a pep in my step.

I will be starting the indoor decorating this weekend.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Add me in to the “still decorating “ crowd. We’ll still do the front yard walkthrough with a few changes but we are cancelling the indoor/backyard party.

Shame about the party, but plenty of people have said they’re still going to show up and hang out. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Taking ideas from people online here and a couple other spots, I think we’ve settled on a decorated candy table with individual bags as well as a pvc candy shoot for those that wish to maintain more distance.
Just wouldn’t be Halloween without the rush to build a couple last minute projects while trying to get my Axworthy up and running.

·
The Red Death
2,258 Posts
And it begins...

https://abc7.com/halloween-2020-coronavirus-covid-19-los-angeles/6414973/

Los Angeles Halloween restrictions:

No door-to-door trick-or-treating. Officials say "it can be very difficult to maintain proper social distancing on porches and at front doors."

No "trunk or treating" either. Children will similarly not be allowed to collect treats going car-to-car as an alternative to door-to-door.

No parties. The county says gatherings with non-household members are not allowed, not even outdoors.

No carnivals, festivals, live entertainment or haunted houses.

It was not immediately clear what penalties might be imposed for violations of the Halloween restrictions.

So what is allowed?

Online parties and contests for costumes or pumpkin carving, for example.

Car parades. For example, with people dressing in costume or decorating their vehicles and driving by socially distanced judges.

Halloween movie nights at drive-in theaters. Those venues already have to comply with protocols for social distancing, sanitation and the wearing of face masks.
This doesn't impact me at the moment as I'm in New England and numbers have been pretty good here (we just sent all our kids back to school in some wacky hybrid model). But it won't surprise me if this sentiment spreads.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's been a while since I've been on here. We have always had a display, no walk through, and don't get many TOTs. I am definitely setting up this year, just no candy. We will do the FM transmitter so folks can drive by and hear the spooky music. We have a cemetery fence and can actually block off the walkway. I will probably post a sign reminding people to stay apart and to not touch anything if they decide to walk by. Our neighbors down the street do a Christmas light show every year, so the neighborhood is used to way more car traffic anyway.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Word on the streets of Erie is that TOT is on! I'm sure they'll have some recommendations or restrictions but good to know as of now it's a go. We'll be handing out treats, safely, and can likely manage to mark off the walk in front of the house to keep some distance between people. We typically have pre-Halloween publicity courtesy of a local news channel, and they also do a live spot from our house on Halloween night but I think it's wise to nix that this year to avoid drawing a bigger crowd than necessary. We get 600-700 TOT's. Really want that down a lot! Looking forward to a fun night regardless.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol: I am setting up, and I sure hope parents bring their kids. So far, 2020 has been a not fun year, and those kids need magic in their lives and Halloween at my house brings magical fun in a big way. I usually have a trick or treat table set up to give out candy, but since it is impossible to "safe distance" everyone going to one table, I may just let my "Scream Team" hand out candy over the fence. (I bought matching skeleton masks for us to wear with our ghost costumes.) I do like the idea of the candy shoot that Roxy had posted, but once again, you would have the congestion of everyone trying to get to the shoot. I am still trying to come up with a safe way for kids to get their candy. I had thought about a "drive through", but I would have to shut our block down to do that, and I don't think I could get a permit to do that. No matter what, I am decorating and on Halloween night, I will have candy for the kids. Last year I had over 500 trick or treaters.....I wonder what it will be like this year?:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll get one in at least but not sure how far I want to go this year, and wife told me not to do as much. The first 2 weekends for the Halloween camping is now 1, just doing the first as had a wedding the second. Trick or treating, costume parades and anything social is cancelled they want to decorate but nothing interactive just walk by. I put most stuff in a 10x20 shelter so it doesn't get ruined, at least this year I have a site I can go sideways with it but still not the same. At home I usually don't do much as where I live and hard to see but was planning on doing more. I personally don't see Halloween happening where I am, hope I'm wrong.

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Do any of you know whether a fog machine (the normal kind we all use) can be used to help sanitize an area? If so, is there a way to do it that also makes fog?

I'm aware there are special foggers specifically designed for disinfecting, but that's not what I'm asking. I mean can we who generally have the swamp juice going do anything that might help kill germs etc. while we fog?

Or -- is using a fog machine right now a terrible, terrible idea? I've seen surprisingly little about this. Lots of people are going to be making fog. We kind of need to know if that's a bad idea (or maybe a good one).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I highly doubt that it can sanitize or disinfect.

Do any of you know whether a fog machine (the normal kind we all use) can be used to help sanitize an area? If so, is there a way to do it that also makes fog?

I'm aware there are special foggers specifically designed for disinfecting, but that's not what I'm asking. I mean can we who generally have the swamp juice going do anything that might help kill germs etc. while we fog?

Or -- is using a fog machine right now a terrible, terrible idea? I've seen surprisingly little about this. Lots of people are going to be making fog. We kind of need to know if that's a bad idea (or maybe a good one).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did see somewhere selling sanitising fog fluid, I believe it did make normal fog, but it was expensive like 3 or 4 time normal fog fluid.

I don't think it would much use outdoors though unless you were able to make the fog cover everything (hard to do with wind etc).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know I still plan on doing fog right now, but then depends on how much I really feel like doing. Ws going to do a laser swamp but since I really need to go Horizontal instead of vertical to keep people out of the 10x20 shelter per rules. The 2 lasers I used last year might not be enough but also too much as kept it contained inside not sure switching directions and haven't even thought of what to do with getting fog across it and don't have time to mess with it as I head to campground next friday and the Halloween part is the following Friday.

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
See, what I envision is having fog come down my driveway or through the yard. I did it last year so I know the path it tends to take. I'm out in the fog with a table of treat bags, passing them via wizard staff to ToTs or cars. But what I'm hearing here is that nobody really knows so far whether fog is good, bad, or neither.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts