Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
ScareFX, you did a really great job on that, not to mention the nice write up. I started building a half toe pincher using some wood I found on the freeway, but I still probably spent as much as you just to complete the project. Using the fence bords is brilliant. Wish I had thought of that before hand. :( If I ever build another or a full size, I will probably use the fence boards instead of hunting the freeways of California for "free" wood. On the flip side, my toe pincher has some really great radial tire marks on it and yours doesn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
158 Posts
that looks really nice scarefx! i wish i would have seen this earlier so i could have made one for this year! ahh well, i'll just have to add it to my to-do list for next halloween!
Me too! I just started my coffin but sing 1x3 furring from Home Depot. If I figured everything correct I should be able to make a 6ft x 25" toe pincher for under $39 (24 -1x4 at $1.59 each).

I checked our local HD today for fence board prices and they are $1.99 each. Where did you get yours and are they a full 3/4" think? Also are they cedar or pine (I know the tutorial says pine, but I have only seen cedar before)?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smelly-Skelly,

Here at the Home Depot in Virginia the pine pickets are 99 cents right now. The cedar pickets are $3.49. The pine is 1"x6"x72" nominal. I guess lumber rates vary significantly across the county.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Smelly-Skelly,

Here at the Home Depot in Virginia the pine pickets are 99 cents right now. The cedar pickets are $3.49. The pine is 1"x6"x72" nominal. I guess lumber rates vary significantly across the county.
Wow, we are getting the short end of the stick or in this case, picket! And here I thought I was doing good making the toe pincher for under $40. Oh well! Maybe I can sell it to my neighbor for $50 and have some beer money!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, we are getting the short end of the stick or in this case, picket! And here I thought I was doing good making the toe pincher for under $40. Oh well! Maybe I can sell it to my neighbor for $50 and have some beer money!
It's probably just transportation costs. We have plenty of pine tree farms here in the southeast. But we don't have the cedar around here so those boards cost us plenty. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Woody,

For the life of me I can not find 1"x6" like the ones you have. HD and Lowes sells pressure treated 1x6 for $5 and pine 1x6 for about $4. I'm in New Jersey and called about 3 lumber stores and 2 fence places and nobody sells this stuff. Of course for $47 I can buy an 8' section of fence and get the wood that way :) Do you have a SKU number on the fence pickets maybe I can special order them from HD? Any NJ people seen this stuff around?

Z

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woody,

For the life of me I can not find 1"x6" like the ones you have. HD and Lowes sells pressure treated 1x6 for $5 and pine 1x6 for about $4. I'm in New Jersey and called about 3 lumber stores and 2 fence places and nobody sells this stuff. Of course for $47 I can buy an 8' section of fence and get the wood that way :) Do you have a SKU number on the fence pickets maybe I can special order them from HD? Any NJ people seen this stuff around?

Z
Hey zeenon,

Here's a screen cap of the product with the sku from our local HD. The price now is up to $1.59... but way less than $4 or $5. Hope that helps in your search.
http://64.226.23.133/woodycarr/images/fence.gif

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Didn't post on this thread, but will. Hope you get the right wood, cause this has been my favorite project this year. Built three of them over two nights. They look awesome and are easy to build. It's ONLY friday. You could build one before tuesday.

hee hee hee hee.

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
WoW!!! Those look cool!!! Unfortunately for me, it may just have to wait till next year.. :( Thanks for the link, I've added it to my faves along with next years list! LOL

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Great how to thanks..
coffin looks mighty fine I say!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just built one of these for my first yard haunt. Great walkthrough, the coffin was easy to build and the fence boards were a fantastic idea. Cheap and easy, you can't get any better than that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts