Haunt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first year to have a full on yard haunt.

Last year I built a skeleton that can talk using an arduino microcontroller driving a servo.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Talking-Arduino-Halloween-Skeleton/

Doing that, combined with a family trip to Disney World this past summer has propelled me into full on haunt mode. I read up on the development of the Haunted Mansion ride and really took to heart a lot of what made that ride so enjoyable. The fact there is a backstory to the ride really helps sell it as a cohesive experience and not just a bunch of scenes setup with a generic halloween theme.

Sooo....here's the problem. While I have all my projects lined up and in the process of being finished, I don't know what to have my props be talking about amongst themselves.

I guess I should explain all that will be going on in the front yard.

I've got about 5 tombstones I'll have done as well as around a dozen PVC candles. The graveyard area will be roped off with chained pillars and this is the area where my 3 talking busts will go. I'm going to do them Haunted Mansion style using a eyeclops mini projector:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3565519&CAWELAID=391463746

I made one for my face, one for my son's (today's his 8th bday), and one for my wifes face. So there will be two adults and one child that can banter back and forth.

The first thing people will come across is the talking skeleton and it'll turn itself on whenever it is approached and begin to talk to them.

I will be in costume as well, to make sure all props stay accounted for, as well as to direct them from the front yard to the side yard where I will have a magic mirror setup. My friend, youtube.com/zackscott will be doing the acting for the magic mirror.

http://homepage.mac.com/nephilim/imagineerieing/magic_mirror.html

I plan on having the magic mirror be a grumpy old mirror who is annoyed by all the trick or treaters. Asking them if they know how hard it is for a mirror to get all the way to a store to buy them candy. etc. etc.

So the problem is, I've created all these scenes and characters but I don't know what to make them say to make it a cohesive experience. I'm not a writer, more of a director. haha.

Do we have any writers on this board that can do witty banter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes that's a google sketchup model. Super easy to learn to use compared to other 3d programs. I just used an aerial photo of my house from google maps and the photo of it from the front using the google street view option as reference photos. It's a really fast way to mockup your haunt and it has a mode where you can walk around in it as well. Only problem with sketchup is that you can't check lighting with it since it doesn't allow for lights like other 3d programs have. When I get back to work tomorrow I'll post a link to the google sketchup model you can click on and open in sketchup to see what my haunt looks like from all angles. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Haunt in Sketchup

If you have sketchup installed on your computer and you click that link above it'll take you to a page where you can load my model and walk around my haunt. Still hoping someone has some idea of what I can make my skeleton and busts say cause I'm drawing a blank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the eyeclops projector didn't work for busts. It wasn't bright enough to light up all three at the distance I had to pull it back to project on all three busts. It may be bright enough if you're only doing one bust instead of the three I was doing. I used a regular commercial lcd projector. Here's a video of it I took with my iphone. The quality isn't great on the video because I shot it with a phone, but in real life the lighting isn't quite as bright looking where the faces are and it blends better with the ambient light. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out and everyone seemed to love them. They created a bit of a traffic jam in the middle of my cemetary when people stopped to watch them talk to each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts